“Worst Hotel Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern California
“Worst Hotel Experience”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I cannot express how upset and uncomfortable I am with this hotel. This was NOT my first time staying at a Hyatt Place Hotel which is why this event was very displeasing. So before I get into the negative, let me be fair and show them the courteous they did NOT show us.

The hotel is very nice and the grounds are very well kept. The Hotel is modern and very stylish. The room decor and amenities were excellent and very chic. The pool is a bit small but was clean and had plenty of seating and towels available. They have a 24/7 cafe and a free buffet breakfast available. They also have a nice gym and business center. The hotel is nestled in a quiet part of town and is also close to Legoland.

With all of that being said let me advise you that they have the WORST customer service that unfortunately out shined their beautiful hotel. I booked my 3 day stay (4/3/13 -4/6/13) through Expedia.com. Upon my arrival I was greeted by Kevin at the front desk. He confirmed my stay and gave me our room key. To my surprise he sent us to a room with ONE King bed, I booked for two queen beds and had the confirmation to prove that. I called down to the front desk to bring the mistake to their attention and was basically told by Kevin, that they see that my reservation is for a double queen room but they do NOT guarantee room types and are totally booked for my entire stay and cannot accommodate our request but we have the right to stay elsewhere if we liked. WHAT!!!!
I called expedia.com and they tried to work with Hyatt Place to be accommodated for what we paid for and was advised by Kevin that they cannot but their is a sofa bed in the room that we could use. Kevin never advised me that there was a bed in the sofa. The sofa bed was equivalent to that of a thin cot and it is a sofa bed I paid for a real bed! Expedia did try to get us a room elsewhere but they available rooms were too far from our events.
After I hung up I noticed a cleaning cart down the hall from our room. What do you know, it was a double queen room. I asked the cleaning staff if this was a check out or check in clean. The employee advised it was a check out. I went to ask the front desk about the available room and Kevin did not assist me he was having small talk with someone else and I guess he had done all he could for me today. Another young man did try to help me and Kevin intervened and advised the room in question "has clearly been checked into". I later found out from the actual guest of that room that they DID check in after us. I saw this happen again on Thursday.

When I checked out the young lady at the front desk advised that they do not have control over third party reservations and to book through the hotel next time. Why would a hotel knowingly take a reservation, third party or not, if they have no intention of accommodating? You are running a business not a lottery. Guest should NOT have to cross their fingers and hope they get what they paid for. It was a nuisance lugging that fold up cot in and out. I tried to get over it and enjoy our vacation.

Very uncomfortable stay. We felt unwanted and lie to. This hotel takes care of direct reservations and give whatever is left to consumers that use travel sites be it what they asked for or not!

Room Tip: This hotel takes care of direct reservations and give whatever is left to consumers that use travel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dulcekisses
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Dulcekisses,

I am devastated to learn your experience with us did not meet your needs. I understand how frustrating this situation was for you and your family, and I hope that our attempts to accommodate you since your departure have met your needs.

I can assure you that while we encourage our guests to book directly with Hyatt.com in order to take advantage of the Hyatt Gold Passport loyalty program and purchase rooms at the best guaranteed rate, we do not treat any of our guests any differently based on how they booked their reservations. I do sincerely apologize that you were impacted by our error.

I appreciate your courtesy in pointing out the positive attributes of our hotel, and we hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Wes Lavender

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Bethany CT
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had originally booked with a different hotel, as we are traveling with a soccer team for a tournament in San Diego. The "other" hotel canceled our reservation on us without our consent, as they had overbooked for the weekend.

Hyatt Place to the rescue! We were fortunate to book what I think was one of their last available rooms for the weekend. What a wonderful place!

Their staff is extremely kind, courteous and helpful. The rooms are very nice and generously sized. The modern interior decorating is unique, crisp, immaculate and inviting. Unique, also, is their eatery, as it combines the standard expectation of tables and chairs for a longer meal with a counter and stool service for a quicker snack! The breakfast food is delicious, plentiful, and complimentary... another wonderful combination.

The pool area and work out room are also quite nice!

Great stay!

Room Tip: Book here first!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janice H
Dear Janice H,

I am delighted to hear that we "rescued" your family! I hope your team performed well on the tournament, as travelling all the way from Connecticut is quite a commitment!

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our hotel and the interactions with our team. By the way, our Bakery Café serves full menu food 24 hours a day.

I hope your trip home went well, and trust we will see you back again soon! San Diego hosts some of the premier tournaments in the US for soccer!

Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here for spring break with the kids. We all loved it!! I did my research (read a LOT of reviews here) before we booked this hotel and to be honest, there is some truth to a lot of the comments made by previous reviewers, but.... It is far from San Diego - all attractions and you need a car,. ..Yes it is and you do! If you want to be in town, close to all the major attractions, then this is not the hotel for you. We love peace and quiet after a day sightseeing so it was perfect for us. The commute and we did it: just before, during and after rush hour, was not bad at all - for California. We drove into town every day except one (the day we went to Legoland. It is close to Legoland (not walking distance though). The staff that we encountered were attentive and always went out of their way to help . The room was spacious, there were five of us and with a double queen and a sofa sleeper it was more than adequate. It is true that you have to place the keycard in a pocket on the wall for electricity, but once this was explained to us, it was no big deal. The bathroom light is tricky but my kids figured it out very quickly and that turned out not to be a big deal either. Breakfast was to die for!!! The egg muffin/croissant combo was a hit with my kids, my husband loved the bagels and coffee and the fruits were my favorite. It was quite a spread. Yes, it could get very busy and crowded in the breakfast area, but we were down before eight every morning and had no problems. It is a very family friendly hotel but we had no problem with the noise level. If you have a car, there are shops, restaurants and take out places within a five mile radius. There is an outlet mall also!! The only reason that I am not giving this hotel five stars is because the hot tub heater broke down while we were there and it was not repaired before we left. But, I would still recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner suites are great, if they are available.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank aqwn2be
Dear aqwn2be,

Thank you for selecting our hotel to meet your spring break needs this year! I'm delighted to read your thorough and positive remarks about our hotel. We are centrally located to the northern San Diego County attractions that include the beach, LEGOLAND, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, the Carlsbad Outlet Mall, and the Wave Waterpark.

Our two queen rooms are huge and sport the additional bedding of the queen sofa sleeper so can sleep up to six. The energy management system helps us be as sustainable as we can, and I appreciate your comments regarding its use.

Our breakfast is very extensive and it does get busy during peak times, but we endeavor to meet the flow of our guests at all times.

You'll be glad to know we repaired the spa the day you departed, and it will be up and running for your next trip to see us!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our Easter weekend stay was wonderful!! Upon our arrival, we found the property and its grounds very modern and well maintained. The interior was equally impressive. Each member of the staff, from check-in to check out were very professional, engaging and extremely accommodating. Wes ( the General Manager) and staff were just great.

Our room, a “King Studio” was more than expected. Starting from the small bar with refrigerator, writing desk, full sized sofa sleeper with ottoman, king size bed and 42' plasma T.V. (which rotated to face either the bed or the sofa), it created a perfect “L” shaped environment. Even though the bathroom did not have a bathtub, the shower was huge so the tub was not missed. We loved our room and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear 1Triptaker,

I am so happy to hear about your recent stay with us! Thanks for spending your Easter weekend with us!

I appreciate your positive comments regarding your interactions with our team, the modernity of the hotel and the functionality of our guest rooms. Our 42" HDTVs are perfect for watching a first run movie or for streaming data directly from your laptop (think Netflix). As an aside, our king bed rooms have showers only, but the double queen rooms have tub/shower combinations.

I hope to see you again soon!

calgary canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for a week. We arrived in San Diego and rented a car from Alamo. Very easy to get from car rental lot onto the I 5 freeway then to Palamor airport road and to S Melrose drive and hotel was a couple blocks down on the left. Lots of free parking in a clean well kept neighborhood. Albertson's grocery was close by. In the room and hotel there is free wfi . In the lobby computers were free to use as well as a printer to print off maps from google giving directions for the day of your destination. Free breakfast in the morning was great and was one less thing to worry about. Good variety but not huge. No bacon, scrambled eggs etc. but fresh fruit, yogurt, english muffin eggs and ham, oatmeal, cereal, toast, juice, milk etc. Very friendly staff. Great hotel over all. Small pool and hot tub out back of the hotel. The only thing I would like to see is benches out front and out back to sit on while waiting. Absolutely no where to sit outside except on the curb. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear LynnandGeorge,

We are delighted to have hosted you during your recent foray from Calgary! Thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff, breakfast and suite of high-tech amenities. We want to be on the cutting edge of technology and very user friendly.

I appreciate your comments regarding bench seating in front and behind the hotel and we will endeavor to implement these before you see us again.

San Diego, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013

LEGOLAND and lots of young children and parents. The hotel is in a very nice area. The pool outside is next to a parking lot. The only place to eat at night is a 4 seated snack bar with expensive 3 star food. The breakfast in the am is busy and the food is like fast food again but it is included in the price of the hotel. I would not stay here again. We were in town taking care of a business transaction that was close in the area.

Room Tip: Packed with children going to LEGOLAND.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Msmonacomusic,

Thank you for picking our hotel as your place to stay during your recent business in our area. We appreciate the positive comments regarding our location and amenities.

I'm disappointed that you wouldn't stay with us again, and I hope that if there is something we can do to earn your loyalty you would please contact me at the hotel. We are busy with both corporate and leisure guests for spring break, but we hope to meet the needs of all of our guests.

Thanks again for your business, and we hope to see you soon.

Salt Lake City
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were moving our daughter home while her husband is deployed in Afghanistan and needed a last minute place to spend the night. We have stayed in Hyatt Place properties in the past and have always enjoyed them. This one was even better than the others. Beside the fact that it is a brand new property, it was as clean as a pin. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had a great stay and the best price. The complimentary breakfast was one of the best I have had in a while. The rooms are huge and very well appointed. We only wish we could have stayed another night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear SunDancer1,

We are delighted to have hosted you and your family during the relocation due to your son-in-law's deployment (thanks for your service by the way)! I'm excited that you selected our hotel based on your loyalty to the Hyatt Place brand, and that we met your expectations with our amenities and service.

I have passed your comments on to our team, and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Wes Lavender
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad
West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
TownePlace Suites San Diego Carlsbad/Vista
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
#24 of 36 in Carlsbad
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach

Been to Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad? Share your experiences!