“Overpriced.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Inglewood, California
“Overpriced.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is brand new however the room are average and small. I personally had a bad experience. My room didn't have any toletries or face towels in queen double bed room. This was the room I was switched to after originally being a ADA room.

I had to call guest services and was delivered one face bar soap.

I was also found hair in my drinking glass.
Very disappointed for $187 a night!

I will not return to this location..

• Stayed July 2012
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Melinda,

I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced while staying with us last weekend. This type of service is not in keeping with our standards, and I have discussed this matter wtih our housekeeping team.

I hope we were able to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction, but if you would like to discuss further please contact me at your leisure.

Wes Lavender

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel just opened on July 10th and we stayed for two nights on July 23 for our trip to SD. We went to visit Wild Animal Park in Escondido and decided to pick this new Hyatt Place for our 1st stop.

Excellent rooms, very comfortable beds, and super clean and cozy!!! My kids loved this place and so did I!!!

The pool is a bit on the small side but my kids didn't mind at all. However, there must have been a bit too much chlorine in the pool as it made my kids' eyes' really red and for the whole night, they had blurry vision. I was worried until I googled it and the suspect was too much chlorine in the pool. The next day they were fine.

There is no restaurant on this property and is a bit out of the way when it comes to restaurants. It's a 10 min drive to the nearest place to eat. There is a Subway nearby and a Trader Joes (3 mins).

Dear MustLoveDogs,

Thank you for completing a review of our new hotel! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the beds as well as location near the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

I have noted the issue your children experienced in our pool, and have discussed it with our engineering team as well as our pool cleaning contractor.

We offer food 24 hours a day in our Bakery Cafe located in the 1st floor Gallery, and the menu includes such items as flat bread pizzas, gourmet hamburgers and a flight of hummus (among other items). Please give us a try next time you stay with us, I believe you will be pleased.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and look forward to serving you again soon!

Land of Oz
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Be greeted by a professional, courteous, and helpful Staff! Hotel has an excellent location, superb amenities, and fantastic breakfast. I'll be back for sure! Also ask about the challenging short, outdoor running trail behind the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear JDTravels,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel!

I am glad to hear you were happy with our location, the a.m. Kitchen Skillet breakfast as well as our Portico brand amenities!

I am also glad you discovered the running trail adjacent to our hotel! It does offer some great vistas as well as some opportunities to commune with nature.

I hope your visit to Vista was productive, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Coto de Caza, Ca
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed here on July 19, 2012 with our 2 grandchildren. I have stayed at other Hyatt Place Hotels and liked them very well. This location had just opened as a new hotel only one week prior to our stay.

Being new, I expected a high degree of service and comfort. Other hotels in the general area provide shuttle service to Legoland........we saw that shuttle service was available at the Hyatt Place, but when we arrived they said that no van was available and they have had many requests for this service.

The rooms are spacious with good beds and amenities (Internet access, flat screen tv, etc.). The complimentary breakfast offered a lot of different options and was plentiful. But the hotel was very crowded and the breakfast ends at 9 A.M. Both mornings, at about 8:30 a lot of the items were depleted and not replenished, so unless you get to breakfast early, you may miss out on breakfast sandwiches and other items. It may have been the "newness" of the staff that caused the problem. It appeared that the staff could not cope with the waiting line for breakfast and did not have enough food for everyone.

I will give the hotel another chance in the future, and will blame this problem with breakfast as due to it being only open for 1 week prior to our arrival. All of the staff were very congenial and friendly, but seemed to be overwhelmed with check-in procedures and breakfast service.

We had a room on the Melrose Avenue side of the hotel and it was very noisy in the early AM from ongoing traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street to avoid traffic noise,
3 Thank JimOCotodeCaza_Ca
Livermore, California
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

I may have found the perfect Hotel brand! Hyatt Place! I'm not at all comfortable staying in economy digs. Let's face it, you get what you pay for. But I own my own business and the bottom line is a reality, so staying at high end luxury resorts isn't the answer either. Enter Hyatt Place Vista/Carlsbad! Brand new, perfectly in the middle of the price range, safe, secure, beautiful rooms and well managed. I loved my two nights there. I didn't miss the fancy amenities and was entranced by the Eco-systems, super breakfast and warm, welcoming staff. If schlepping my own luggage means I can still stay at a trusted brand that I love, then count me in! I will be going out of my way to find Hyatt Place for business travel and solo trips associated with my hobbies. One tip. This particular hotel is near LegoLand and perfect for families. The hot breakfast included in the rate was just " in a word" special.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Nilene T
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Nilene,

Thank you for your review of our new hotel! We are excited to be open, and we agree that our hotel is redefining the select-service niche.

I was glad to hear you appreciated our breakfast and sustainable systems, and am delighted that our team exceeded your expectations!

Please do search out other Hyatt Places in your travels; there are 167 others out there. We look forward to your return to our "different place"!

Cheers,

Fullerton, California, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The experience my family had at Hyatt Place was remarkable. The room layout was just like a studio apartment. We have a living room space, own fridge (not the Vegas type where there are drinks inside that costs 5 times its actual price, but an empty clean refrigerator) for your food and drinks you bring inside the hotel, a huge computer desk/dinning table, dressers, small closet and a sink outside the bathroom (like a kitchenet). This room was not a suite, but it functions the same way. The living room has a sofa-bed for additional space to sleep. The entire space is huge overall. Every morning, the little cafeteria/bakery on the first floor serves free breakfast. They have bagels, different kinds of breads, doughnuts, pastries, bacon and eggs, yogurt, variety of fruits (peeled and unpeeled), pancakes, waffles, french toasts, free startbucks coffee and tea, milk, OJ and apple juice, tomato juice, oat meals, and lots more all for FREE from 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM. You can even bring the food to your room. Parking is all around the building and there are doors in the rear of the hotel as well. Although this Hyatt Place in San Diego/Vista/Carlsbad is a brand new hotel, every staff seemed to be working very hard to make sure their services are the top quality you expect as a guest. The location is in a quiet mountain view area, which is perfect for people who wants to be isolated from the city noise. It is only 10 minutes away from Legoland and Carlsbad Premium Outlet. The price is definitely worth it. I paid $144 per night for 4 nights and for me it would be the same stuff you get from a $250/night hotels. Not only it saves you money in breakfast, the free amenities like 35 Mbps Internet speed, fitness center, business center (computer cafe area), pool and spa, but you'll enjoy the comfort and tranquility of your stay. I took my family to Legoland during the week, and our vacation experience was definitely excellent.

1 Thank JoeArt C
WesLavender, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear JoeArt,

Thank you for staying with us last week! I am so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our team will be so excited to read your comments as we are very proud of our new hotel.

I also appreciate the complete synopsis of our hotel's amenities, and am pleased that the a.m. Kitchen Skillet we serve was a highlight.

We look forward to hosting you and your family again soon!

Wes Lavender
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad
West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
TownePlace Suites San Diego Carlsbad/Vista
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
Holiday Inn Carlsbad
#24 of 36 in Carlsbad
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach

Been to Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad? Share your experiences!