“Third try, last try!”

Dining options: Reservations
california
“Third try, last try!”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

When Via Sicilia first opened my husband I tried it. We were quite disappointed. We waited and tried it a couple of months later, thinking that perhaps they needed time to work out the kinks. Second time, still disappointed. Well, here it is, more than a year later, and they are still in business. When a good groupon came up for the restaurant, I decided to try it one more time. Surely, still being in business after all this time, things must have gotten better. The following is our recent experience.

My two daughers (ages 13 and 17) and I went for dinner on a week night. The décor was very nice, it has an old world feel to it with pavers on the floors made to look like old stones, street lights, fake plants and mirrors. We all liked the way it looked. The waiter was awesome! (don’t kill the messenger). He was friendly without being ‘chummy’ and very professional. I ordered the egglplant parmesan which came with salad. My older daughter ordered the Chicken Marsala. My youngest daughter ordered a Caesar salad and an appetizer order of Deep Fried Calamari. The salads themselves were all right, but the dressings were horrible. They seemed to be of the lowest quality pre-made type (think ‘Costco, large container, gluey). Dressings are not that hard to make and homemade dressings would have made a big difference here. The Caesar was quite nice, a little more vinegar taste than the creamy variety, but fresh. Bread was brought to our table. It was warm. I have only been to the Tuscany area of Italy. Maybe they do serve bread like this somewhere in Italy, but it wasn’t anything like any Italian bread I have had. It was fluffy and sweet. Not bad for a breakfast bread in my opinion, but certainly not what I expected in an Italian restaurant. My eggplant parmesan was almost tasteless. The eggplant was layered with ricotta, and didn’t seem to be breaded and fried the way most eggplant parmesan is. The tomato sauce on the side of pasta, however, was very tasty, apparently they make their own. My younger daughter’s calamari was crisp. The ‘dip’ was unusual and quite tasty, a spicy tomato sauce. She, however, did not like the sauce too much. My older daughter’s Chicken Marsala was again quite different from what normally passes for that dish. Instead of the usual marsala and mushroom sauce, it was a tomato sauce with marsala in it, over the chicken. She thought it was mediocre. Now, we are very adventuresome eaters, and even if these dishes were ‘different’ than expected, we would have enjoyed them, had they tasted good. The flavor just didn’t show up. The waiter got a full 20% tip, not because of the food, but because of the service. I was so glad I had used a groupon as I would have been very upset had I spent 65 dollars of my own money (we did not have drinks). I am sad to say I do not think this restaurant will be around much longer. Won’t someone please open a good Italian restaurant in Vista?

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank barbinvista

Vista, California
“Nice family place with excellent food.”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We have enjoyed our numerous visits here over the past couple of years and always had good food and service. Their pizza is excellent and people rave about the lasagana and meat sauce. I have had the veal marsala and each time it was cooked perfectly and the sauce was excellent.

Oceanside, California
“Hidden Treasure~ Great Italian food!”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Love this charming Italian restaurant. Food is always outstanding, fresh ingredients and service is excellent. Homemade sauces are incredible, portions are quite large so bring an appetite. Very clean and well decorated. Such a calm & relaxing atmosphere no rush just pure enjoyment of the dining experience!
I would highly recommend this restaurant to others...

• Visited April 2012
San Diego
“Mediocre food & service, nice ambiance”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

The service wasn't great, that server seemed standoffish and impatient. The food wasn't great and wasn't very fresh; I probably could have made it better. There was very few selections on the wine and beer list. The place has a nice ambiance and great potential.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank jacquielaura
Vista, California, USA
“Great Italian”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Want an upscale dining experience at reasonable prices try Via Sicilla. Always great service and great food. They catered our wedding what more can be said.

Visited March 2012