“Fabulous meal, best Saltimbocca ever!”

Ciao Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #2 of 217 Restaurants in Vista
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Jose, California
“Fabulous meal, best Saltimbocca ever!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My dad, his girlfriend and I went here for dinner. It is not a fancy place but definitely not a dive either. Friendly attentive service with knowledgeable waiter who was very patient with my 90 year old dad who is a character. I had a glass of Mondavi cabernet and they each had an Italian Chianti. I ordered calamari fritti appetizer and it was fabulous. Crunchy outside, tender and moist inside. Came with lemon and ed sauce. We loved that. My dinner order was saltimbocca and it was the best i have ever had. The veal was very tender, the cheese melted perfectly over the prosciutto and the sauce was rich and velvety. Each mouthful was a pleasure with the texture and flavors perfectly melded. Finally we each had the quintessential Italian dessert- the cannoli. It was not greasy at all, stuffed fully and topped with whipped cream and maraschino cherries. Really a little over the top but delightful after a savory meal.

• Visited June 2013

Vista, California
“Best Italian in Vista”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

There's other places in North County that are good, but for my taste this one is best. Never had a bad meal

• Visited June 2013
Vista, California
“Haven't had a bad meal yet”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I really enjoy Ciao's! Food is always good - lunch buffet, dinner, Thanksgiving dinner buffet was absolutely fantastic! I love that they use New York ingredients. :-)

• Visited April 2013
La Misión, Baja California, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Bast Italian in Vista”
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Great! Place to take a date. Delicious food and deserts. They make there own bread. Mutton wine is good @ $18dls. The Service is excellent and the restrooms are clean. Me and my brother and his friends are always welcomed. You can be dressed up or down in shorts and flip-flops. You can order food to go.

• Visited May 2013
Long Beach, CA
“A neighborhood gem”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

4/30/2013
My wife and I were visiting a winery, Belle Marie, and the lady recommended we buy a bottle of her wine and take it to Ciao for dinner, and we did.

Walking in, the place just felt good. We were greeted promptly by a charming hostess/waitress who seated us and immediately opened the wine. This was early, around 5:00 on a Friday, traffic on Vista Boulevard was bumper to bumper, but the place was filling up rather quickly with smiling locals, so we were pretty sure we picked a good place to eat.

Menu was mostly standard Italian fare, interesting that there was no steak or hardcore beef dishes. The waitress said that one of the specials was beef osso bucco, so, feeling like beef, I ordered it. She came back and told me she was mistaken, it was pork osso bucco. Pork shanks? So I changed my order to veal Sorrento. My wife ordered eggplant Parmigiano, and we split an enormous antipasto salad. Fresh baked bread preceded the salad.

The food was great. My dish, which I wasn't familiar with, consisted of pounded and breaded veal with eggplant in a kind of sweet red sauce. Lots of it, lots to share. We ate leisurely, enjoyed the ambience and the service, and drove off down the hill to our hotel just as the traffic began to break up. It was a happy meal.

Visited April 2013