“Lovely place, good food”
Review of The Yellow Deli

The Yellow Deli
Ranked #1 of 217 Restaurants in Vista
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovely place, good food”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We have been dining at Yellow Deli several times now and it's always been a good time every time. We love the place! It's like the houses in LOTR's Shire where Bilbo Baggins live. The staff are efficient and friendly. You have to try their soup - the chili was good but I was blown away by how tasty the vegetable soup was. Their sandwiches are great, try the pesto sandwich (i love the pickles). I tried the vegetarian burger and the patty was dry, maybe that's how "healthy" food tastes, nonetheless, it was still a good meal. They make everything on the menu from scratch so you have to try their sodas too.

The spot is popular among the locals so expect a little bit of wait time especially during nights. It's affordable and open 24 hours. They close on Friday until Sunday morning (its owned by a religious group, and I was told its their Sabbath on those days).

Visit Yellow Deli, its a great place to hang out!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank vanilla g

San Diego, California
“Mellow Yellow Deli”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I've been wanting to try this place for a long time and did today since I was in Vista for jury duty. Since we have and hour and a half for lunch and this place is close it worked out fine, this is not a place to rush. They were very busy and I did have to wait about 10 minutes to be seated, but I was given a choice of outside or inside. Great atmosphere, plenty to chose from on the menu whether you are vegetarian or not. The staff was polite and the service was good. I had a veggie burger, tomato soup and green tea iced tea. The soup was very good, the sandwich was tasty, but it was messy enough that it was a little hard to eat and I needed 2 napkins. The iced tea really didn't have any flavor, I would order something else next time or just have water. There is an affiliation with a group known as the Twelve Tribes/The Community in Valley Center. Another reason I titled this "mello yellow". There is a lot of material explaining their philosophy in the restaurant, including murals on the walls. So if that kind of thing bothers you be aware. Everyone working there seemed very gentle and polite when I was there. Much of the produce and their Green Drink come from their ranch - the Morning Star Ranch in Valley Center. There is another small Yellow Deli close to the Ranch. Note: This review is from Lynn only, it is not somewhere that my husband would chose, but I'm hoping to come back with my daughter-in-law.

• Visited June 2014
Vista, California, United States
“Food is great, but come for the atmosphere”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I've been visiting the Yellow Deli whenever I come home form college for about five years now. I love that I can get a simple sandwich rather than paying for a bunch of stuff I'm going to ask them to take off anyway. Highlights of this place include their peach iced tea, which is the best I've ever had, and their honey buns (a perfect way to start the day). They also make their break in house and their onion rolls are delicious. As far as I understand it, the Yellow Deli uses a lot of very fresh, very local produce. I never get tired of the beautiful artwork on the walls, and I always make a point to walk upstairs to read the story of the Yellow Deli, portrayed as a beautiful colorful mural. There have been many days that I've come in to do homework (the music they play is delightful and instrumental, a nice background for reading) or to have a cup of tea and play chess. The staff is always polite and conversational. I would highly recommend coming here.

• Visited July 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Not sure but worth a second try”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I saw the menu for this place and was excited about trying it out. It was ok but not the amazing that I was expecting. We ordered for Pick Up and my husband said that the building and staff were pretty cool, "Like a hippie joint". lol
I had the veggie burger with added Havarti cheese and he had the Deli Pesto sandwich with a Chef Salad. My sandwich was ok....I think it was just a veggie patty though, not actually made. It wasn't bad but I'm not sure I would order it again, if I could help it. He liked his sandwich and salad but said he wished the bread was more than a keiser roll because it got soggy fast.
I also ordered a "Green Drink" which I thought would be fresh juiced but was bottled. It was ok but sure had a strong grapefruit juice taste. I would not get it again, it is not for me.
I would give this place another try and then call it quits if I wasn't impressed. Nothing special.

• Visited May 2014
california
“Great stop”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I needed to get a few green bars for my son and my husband needed a banana milk. Always so polite, clean, and great food. Love the rootbeer !!!