“Absolutely wonderful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vista
Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The service and attention to detail here is unrivaled at any other spa that I have been to. It is beyond beautiful here and reminds me of being in Provence.
The classes, the food, the spa services and the rooms are amazing.

This will be a twice yearly trip for me!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank smsbnyc

Reviewed October 14, 2010

I have visited so many spas over the years, some of them many times over. I am now ruined to even think of visiting any other than Cal-a-vie. This includes the Golden Door- it can't even touch Cal-a-vie- sorry. I couldn't find anything to complain about if I tried. They bend over backwards to make your visit specific to your needs and I've witnessed them accommodating even the most ridiculous of requests. I went alone and quickly met other wonderful gals- one of which I've remained very close friends with. If the cost seems steep to you, it's only because you've not yet experienced the true bliss of a stay at Cal-a-vie. I'd be surprised if heaven could measure up against it....I am clearly a serious devotee.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Fromagette
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I did the 4 nights package at the hotel in March 09. This is a perfect place to come by yourself and relax if that is what you are looking for. Even though they concentrate on fitness, I was able to take mind/body classes and just chill.

The only complaint I have is when I first arrived at the hotel I was put in the room that was down the hill from everything, even though I specified during my reservation that I needed to be close (hard time walking). The hotel was almost full, but they were able to relocate me to room #1 which was very close to the spa and the restaurant. The room was very nice (no TV!), quite small, but you don't spend much time there anyways. You get workout clothes (pants, shorts, t-shirts), but they are def not for my taste. I would suggest to bring your own clothes!

Each day started with a hike at 6 AM, but I just slept in. They had tons of different classes in the morning, so there is a big variety of classes (yoga, pilates, tai chi). Spa treatments started at 11 AM. I loved all my treatments, especially cranio sacral. They have a salt water pool, but I didn't get to go, it was too far for me to walk.

The food was top notch! I was put on 1500 calorie plan (maintenance) and was a little hungry at night. I brought my own protein bars since i get hypoglycemic so that was perfect. They had apples to snack on, so that was good too. I also had a lot of food restrictions (no gluten, chocolate, nuts, sugar) and they were able to accommodate me with no problem. All the food was super delicious!

Cell phone reception is pretty bad at the hotel. You only get some good reception on the bridge on the way to the fitness pavilion. They had one computer if you needed to access the internet. There was also TV in the same room.

There were tons of repeated guests (50%). I am definitely planning to come back as I had a great time!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank panthere
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I am a return guest to Cal-a-Vie and will return again. I have been with my spouse and an individual traveler and this time with friends. All visits were wonderful and I felt comfortable and at ease in all three situations.
The first visit was a romantic week with my husband that was a kickstart to a healthy lifestyle TOGETHER. The setting is beautiful and the staff was very accommodating to make our visit special. We enjoyed the morning hikes, couple massages, and a quiet dinner in our room.
When I visited alone, I was not alone for long. I quickly found others to workout with, relax with, bond with, and become friends. Plus, when I wanted to have a little alone time, there were many spots to enjoy the beauty and peace of the setting (balcony of my room, labyrinth, poolside, gazebo by the pond, etc).
Best of all, was my most recent visit with friends. What better way to de-stress, than to enjoy this magnificent spa with your girlfriends. We had a great time interacting with the fitness staff who were always there to assist and answer questions as we learned BOSU, Pilates apparatus, and giggled our way through Latin Dance. We were pampered with quality treatments including new ones for me like the bamboo massage and the coffee scrub. We learned healthy eating, as well as meal planning for our families including the challenge of young children.
I have visited a few other destination spas, but my preference is to return to Cal-a-Vie. The facilities keep getting better, the variety of activities and treatments is growing, the staff is very attentive, the food is delicious and the setting very peaceful.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank TLM66
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Cal-A-Vie is the finest resort I have ever experienced. The management is "hands on" and go out of their way to make your experience a success. Cal-A-Vie limits the number of guests to aroung 24 so you get super personalized attention. The fitness trainers are top notch and are very motivating. If you want to lose weight and learn how to eat healthy you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. Although expensive, you do get true value for your money. I was amazed at the number of returning guests that were present during my stay. Cal-A-Vie is also perfect for individuals traveling by themselves. Rooms are spotless and the spa treatments were topnotch. If you need to relax a feature I appreciated was they plan your day for you. Perfect weather added to the experience!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dddpa
Reviewed September 30, 2007

As soon as you arrive don't expect to relax. If they don't get you to settle your bill as you first set foot on the property they will be calling your room ASAP. There is massive construction happening. A pool, at least two other buildings, and a second home for the owners.
The rooms are very nice, beds are soft and fluffy. The bathrooms are beautiful. Sometimes the pipes are a little noisy, but hot water always comes out.
The food is delicious. The chef is very accommodating if something is not to your liking.
The hikes are beautiful but seem to be too challenging for some of the other guests that like to hike. The other option was to walk a golf course.
The fitness classes were fun and the instructors seemed educated although the younger ones were a little more dynamic.
The treatments were the best part. Fitness is scheduled for the morning and treatments for the afternoon. The hot stone facial was a favorite.
Overall, I had a nice getaway. However, I don't believe that it was worth the price. Perhaps when the construction is finished a weeks stay will be worth over $7000. It takes more than some extra buildings to hold a hefty pricetag.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank roseSanf
Reviewed October 23, 2006

My sister and I decided to have a girls' vacation at a spa and chose Cal-a-Vie because of its convenient location. The setting is gorgeous, the gardens are immaculate, and the decor is impeccable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was well-prepared but bland. The choice of exercise classes was wide but some of the instructors seemed to be novices whereas others were very experienced. The only drawback was the tiny, unattractive pool. At over $3500 for 3 days, it was hardly a bargain but I did enjoy every minute of it.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank serrita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vista
Rancho Bernardo Inn
Franciscan Inn Motel
Franciscan Inn Motel
#3 of 9 in Vista
TownePlace Suites San Diego Carlsbad/Vista

Been to Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!