“Extensive Menu, Good Food”

La Paloma Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 217 Restaurants in Vista
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Carlsbad, CA
“Extensive Menu, Good Food”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

While La Paloma isn't that far away (about 12 miles from where we live), we don't often go to Vista to eat. With the offering of a Groupon, we decided we would try lunch there.

La Paloma does have a nice covered patio, but we decided to sit inside. We were seated and almost immediately given our menus, plus a basket of warm corn chips and salsa. The only thing I wish La Paloma had inside was better lighting so we could read our menus easier. It was somewhat dim inside.

The menu was extensive (at least 6 pages). Almost everything on it looked good to this very hungry person, but I decided on tacos in order to get to eat sooner than later!

I ordered pork carnitas tacos (which came with rice and choice of beans) and my spouse chose a chicken chimichanga (also came with rice and beans). Our lunches arrived within 10 or so minutes of ordering. The food was nicely plated and both of our meals were delicious. The pork was moist and flavorful, and my spouse said his chimichanga was fried "just right" and was very good.

While the Groupon did make the price lower, I didn't think that the cost of our lunches were unreasonable and would go there again, with or without a coupon.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank dml718

Omaha, Nebraska
“Atmosphere and Extensive Menu”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have eaten here before on our many trips to Southern California. We were able to get a Certificate on Restaurant.com. We sat out on a very nice covered patio which is next to a wooded area so you are not bothered by traffic. The service was good although the place was not crowded since we were early for dinner. They have a rather extensive menu with lots of unusual items. I had the fajitas. They were very good but I felt like the portion was a little small for the price.

1 Thank petsitter
Vista, California
“Gone way downhill since the late 90s”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This used to be a go-to restaurant and one our family looked forward to for birthdays and other family gatherings. We also used to take out-of-towners here to show them what great food Vista has to offer. Mole used to be the best in SD. Not any more.

Now the food is flavorless, the service is sloppy, the building looks rundown, and the prices are too high. We've been sad to watch this once great restaurant slide further downhill over the past 14 years, to the point that when someone brings up going here, we all just shake our heads and say, "nah."

After a couple years' break, we finally went again a few weeks ago and it slid even further downhill. Don't think we'll be going back until we hear new management has taken over. : (

• Visited August 2013
Downers Grove, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over Priced El Torrito Food”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Our first time here and we weren't very impressed. The atmosphere is the basic sitdown mexican looking place. We had the appetizer of the spicy lobster something or other, it was about two ounces of slipper tail in a hot oil sauce. Pretty weak, not even lobster, $10. My girl had the salmon entree and I had a carne asada burrito. Her salmon was way over cooked, the rice had no flavor, just poor. My burrito was meat and onions only. No rice, beans, nothing. The server took off for like twenty minutes doing side work, never checking to see if our food was cooked properly. I don't expect perfect service, but she was pretty bad. The entrees average $20, just way too much for poorly executed mexican food. Or any mexican food for that matter. If you like spending money like that at El Torrito, then you'll love La Paloma.

1 Thank david l
San Diego, California
“Delicious”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went there for the first time tonight and we will definitely be back, Yes the menu is huge, but I don't understand why someone would give them a low rating because of that. Have a drink and relax! We were there with friends who eat there often and knew just what they wanted, my husband quickly picked out something, but I was undecided. So.....our server, Beverly, who has been there 19 years !! asked me a few questions and recommended the blackened scallops. Now who would think to order those in a Mexican restaurant in Vista?? Well my meal was excellent. The side salad was fresh and tasty with an avocado dressing. I really wanted to try the coffee flan, but I was too full (and taking home some leftovers). We live about 30 minutes away, but will be back. Nice atmosphere too.

1 Thank LynnandLee