“Atmosphere and Extensive Menu”

La Paloma Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 218 Restaurants in Vista
Cuisines: Southwestern, Barbecue, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have eaten here before on our many trips to Southern California. We were able to get a Certificate on Restaurant.com. We sat out on a very nice covered patio which is next to a wooded area so you are not bothered by traffic. The service was good although the place was not crowded since we were early for dinner. They have a rather extensive menu with lots of unusual items. I had the fajitas. They were very good but I felt like the portion was a little small for the price.

1  Thank petsitter

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This used to be a go-to restaurant and one our family looked forward to for birthdays and other family gatherings. We also used to take out-of-towners here to show them what great food Vista has to offer. Mole used to be the best in SD. Not any more.

Now the food is flavorless, the service is sloppy, the building looks rundown, and the prices are too high. We've been sad to watch this once great restaurant slide further downhill over the past 14 years, to the point that when someone brings up going here, we all just shake our heads and say, "nah."

After a couple years' break, we finally went again a few weeks ago and it slid even further downhill. Don't think we'll be going back until we hear new management has taken over. : (

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Our first time here and we weren't very impressed. The atmosphere is the basic sitdown mexican looking place. We had the appetizer of the spicy lobster something or other, it was about two ounces of slipper tail in a hot oil sauce. Pretty weak, not even lobster, $10. My girl had the salmon entree and I had a carne asada burrito. Her salmon was way over cooked, the rice had no flavor, just poor. My burrito was meat and onions only. No rice, beans, nothing. The server took off for like twenty minutes doing side work, never checking to see if our food was cooked properly. I don't expect perfect service, but she was pretty bad. The entrees average $20, just way too much for poorly executed mexican food. Or any mexican food for that matter. If you like spending money like that at El Torrito, then you'll love La Paloma.

1  Thank david l
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went there for the first time tonight and we will definitely be back, Yes the menu is huge, but I don't understand why someone would give them a low rating because of that. Have a drink and relax! We were there with friends who eat there often and knew just what they wanted, my husband quickly picked out something, but I was undecided. So.....our server, Beverly, who has been there 19 years !! asked me a few questions and recommended the blackened scallops. Now who would think to order those in a Mexican restaurant in Vista?? Well my meal was excellent. The side salad was fresh and tasty with an avocado dressing. I really wanted to try the coffee flan, but I was too full (and taking home some leftovers). We live about 30 minutes away, but will be back. Nice atmosphere too.

1  Thank LynnandLee
Reviewed September 4, 2013

La Paloma has an extensive menu including lots of traditional tex-mex and some rather unusual meals (Ostrich? Yes, and it's really good!). Their sauces are an absolute taste sensation. Try the albondiga soup. I'd never had it and I've tried it a few places since but haven't found another restaurant that beats La Poloma's.