“Predictable stay close to Sequoia National Park” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Visalia Marriott at the Convention Center

Visalia Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
“Predictable stay close to Sequoia National Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

I came to Marriott Visalia with my wife and two daughters for a 2-day visit to Sequoia National Park. The hotel is 45 min from the park entrance and about 1.5 hours from major park attractions like the Giant Forest. Still, this is a nice hotel and location if you are not a camper or are booking at the last minute (like we did).

The good part is that this is a "predictable" Marriott stay. You get what you expect. Rooms are good in size, and fairly clean. I found some flaws like towels with black-ish and red-ish stains, and a hair on them, but all the rest was good (and I am very demanding on this aspect).

Nice restaurant and services just blocks away. Visalia is a pleasant town and I really enjoyed the time out of the park.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank IgnacioCD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Our family stayed for two nights for a full day trip to visit Sequioia National Park. The drive to the park is only about 50 minutes with more time to drive up and into the actual park to see these amazing sequioa trees. Well worth it!! The hotel was clean and the staff were extremely helpful. We were going to LA from Visalia during "carmagedon" when the main highway 405 was closed. The front desk staff (I think her name was Brenda) went above and beyond in helping us navigate around this highway closure. Pool looked nice, however we had no time to use it. Service in hotel retaurant was extemely slow.

I would totally recomend this hotel when staying in the area. Looked liked the nicest option to me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JordycatConnecticut
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Wonderful Marriott
This is a very nice full service Marriott located off the 198 Highway and very close (one block) away from Delta Hospital and co-located with the convention center.
The room I had was very spacious, clean, and well appointed for the business traveler. There is a restaurant and bar on site, the food was fine and the menu varied. (Note to food service mgr, the French Dip Sandwich was not up to standards. The beef was sliced thinly, and over cooked. Consider making it a prime rib dip)
For premium Marriott members there is a complimentary lounge on the 14th floor. It has a full buffet breakfast with hot and cold choices, and in the evening there is light finger food with a no host bar.
The front desk staff were very personable, accommodating, and a pleasure to deal with.
The hotel was very clean and quiet. One feature I like is the AC/Heat unit is housed in the closet making the room much quieter than rooms with wall mount units.
Overall very satisfied

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Nitroxprt
Frankfurt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

Well located close to the highway, easy to find. Service is very good. They offer baggage cars voluntarily which does help to bring your bags into the room. Reception staff is able to give restaurant recommendations as well as to inform the guests about most sight seeinglocations. Rooms are big enough (we were located on the 5th floor) and very clean. Due to the fact that not too many people were at the Visalia Marriot, the main restaurant was empty and therefore we ate at the hotel bar - good food and good service too. We can recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ThePunchBowl
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend, because there were no other hotels closer to Sequoia Kings Canyon. Visalia is a solid 30-45 minutes drive to the park entrance, and then it is another hour to get up to the main attractions of the park. That made for a lot of back and forth driving, which wasn't great. I would definitely just pay extra to stay at the park lodge if I did it again. That having been said, the hotel itself was a standard Mariott experience. Good beds, good service, clean, etc... Its also within a short walking distance of a number of bars restaurants in downtown Visalia which was nice not to have to drive after a day in the car. All in all, its probably about the nicest hotel anywhere in the area, but if you're going to the park, I would recommend staying closer.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MrPizz
Ukiah, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Great bed. Quiet room Blackout curtains. What more do you need for a great hotel room? Oh yeah--the view. No view. Not much to do in Visalia. I was there for a dog show in the area or wouldn't go to Visalia. But I liked this hotel/my room so much that I considered staying an extra night just to relax before a long drive home. Coming from me that says a lot. i am extremely finicky about hotel rooms. I would absolutely stay here again if I find myself in Visalia.

Pool was heated and nice size. Not overchlorinated like so many hotel pools.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lovefur
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

I have been staying at this Marriott for the past 3 months almost on a weekly basis. Last night, I woke in the middle of the night to find a bed bug on my covers. I was moved to another room at 2:30 am, however, I was extremely disappointed to find out that because the "technician" couldn't find the bed bug(s) the next day, that they were not going to treat the room! Can you believe this! This Marriott would prefer to house bed bugs and loose the income of a loyal customer. Please educate yourselves!!!!! The room that was positively identified to have a bed bug was room 730. I will absolutely not stay at this Marriott again and if you know anything about bed bugs, it's not wise to stay at a location that won't treat an infestation. One bed bug constitutes an infestation. My only regret is that I didn't collect the bed bug in a glass and take a photo for proof.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank 33611
VISMC, General Manager at Visalia Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Please, understand we do not take these matters lightly, the health and safety of our guest is important to our team. After your departure our trained engineer inspected the room and found no evidence of bed bug activity. Further, to confirm our findings we requested our pest prevention company to respond and inspect the room. The service report from our pest prevention company is as follows; "Inspected room 730 for bedbugs and found no bedbugs or bedbug activity. There is no other service required for this room at this time. This room is ready for service."

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please contact our hotel directly. We do appreciate your choosing our Marriott hotel.