WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Wyndham Visalia

Wyndham Visalia
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Visalia
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Nice hotel...wireless access HORRID!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

This hotel has a nice presentation to the arriving guest...huge fireplace with a seating area in front, check-in counter immediately to the right, open lobby. There is a restaurant and bar on the premises. The restaurant, Cafe California, is only open during specific hours for breakfast (6:30am), lunch, and dinner (6pm), so don't expect all day service. However, the food is very good and presentation is beautiful!. The bar, Mahogany's, opens before the restaurant and serves a full menu for dinner. Appetizers are 1/2 price up to 6:30pm and are generous enough to be considered a full meal.

The room we were assigned was supposedly an upgraded room. It was a suite...the living room and bedrooms were two separate areas with a TV in each. Clean but small. The house keeper did not clean up the used glasses after the first night, and didn't empty the ice bucket. We left it alone to see if it would be emptied and if we would be given a clean liner, however the next day it was not touched then either. Oh well.

The worst part, though, was the wireless access. It sucked majorly! Our colleague said she took a shower while she waited to connect! When she called down to the lobby she was told the problem was due to the weather...it was raining. The next day access was better but on the third night it was excruciatingly slow.

If you have your own wireless access, then this is a good hotel. However, if you are relying on the hotel's wireless access to get any work done, then forget it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

It has the facilities and the comfort of a Holiday Inn hotel, and the location is ideal for people visiting the Sequoia National Park, which is about 45min drive. It’s near the airport and is located off the highway, but our room, which actually faced the highway was surprisingly quiet.

However, there isn’t any restaurants or shops near by; so, you will need a car. The hotel does provide a shuttle to the park, and the center of Visalia is only 10 min drive.

The only downside was the staff, and the level of service is not like other Holiday Inn hotels. Throughout the weekend, every time we’d approached the front desk, there wasn’t anyone there, and when someone did finally show up, the receptionist acted as if we were bothering her.

All in all, it’s a good hotel if you want to stay near Visalia, as it will give you more options in restaurants and shops than the park.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gl0betrotter
SF Bay Area
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

I am from the Bay Area with many relatives in the Visalia area, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn many times. Unfortunately, in recent years the security and safety of this hotel has gone downhill. I am sad to say that the last two times I have been here some things have happened and they were never mentioned in the papers. These incidents were not minor either. This weekend something was reported in the local papers and I believe its only because the person involved was a guest that was easily identified. I no longer patronize this hotel and choose to stay with relatives instead. The safety of my children is far more important to me than a heated pool.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Wilkes-Barre, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

Staying at the Holiday INN Convention Center. This property is in need of update. There is one working elevator, my room does not have a number on the door--just have to figure it out by the neighboring rooms! there is an old Tv, no refrigerator and a great view of the roof! Wouldn't do this again...

Southern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

I had enough Priority Club points for 2 free nights. I booked them using these points. When I got to the hotel I noticed my Suite was at the far end of the hotel, a corner room. Normally this is an ideal location. Well, when I got in the room it seemed fine until I turned the A/C on. It never cooled. The thermostat read 65 degrees. I know 65 degrees. It was so warm inside the room that I went to the bar to give the A/C unit time to cool. Finally, before I went to bed I called the front desk to have someone look at the A/C unit. Someone did look at it but it only got cool for about 30 minutes or so and then it went back to just blowing warm air from outside. I was so tired that I just kept hoping the unit would cool. Finally on my last night I got back to my room kind of late and there was a long line at the front desk that I thought I'd call it in later well, I went to sleep again tired and woke up throughout the night due to being hot. In the morning at checkout time, I mentioned it to the attendant. I have a feeling that they gave me that corner room because it's normally hot and since I was using my Priority Points to stay 2 days on points, they'd give me a mediocre room that probably no one would want to stay in. I'm going to address this with Holiday Inn/Priority Club. But, in the meantime I wanted to warn everyone traveling into Visalia. Don't take a room in a corner if you go through Visalia in the summer time and end up stayin in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Poortugaal, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

The hotel has nice rooms, pleasant pool with ice vending machine and good service.
Is located outside visalia but within 5 minutes you are in the city center. Breakfast is reasonably priced and very good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rolfv
Chino, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

I traveled to Sequoia National Park and stayed at Visalia. The place accept pets and kept the place clean to my level. This place is in perfect location. About half hour away from Sequoia; across the street from a dog park, and conveniently located by the highway. The only problem we had was finding a place to eat. You have to travel a couple of miles away if you arrive & eat late. I have no complaints about this place except for the buzzing noise outside the building. I wasn't sure if they were bugs or it was their lighting. It's fine because I didn't hear it from my room; I heard it at night when I was walking my small dog.

Cons: Room is a bit small and they need an update on TV. I think if they change the TV to flat screen, they will have more room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family