WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Visalia/Sequoia Gateway

La Quinta Inn & Suites Visalia/Sequoia Gateway
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Visalia
Exeter, CA
“Average Hotel - Could be much better with better management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I travel to Exeter/Visalia regularly. I stay at hotels there about two times a month because I own a company nearby and live outside the area. Besides the La Quinta, Visalia, I have stayed at Best Western hotels in Exeter and Visalia and Hampton Inn in Visalia,.

I have twice stayed at the La Quinta, Visalia. I find this hotel to be very poorly managed and understaffed.

For instance, the last time I stayed at La Quinta Visalia, I chose the two-room suite. When my wife and I arrived at our room there was a maintenance guy working in the bathroom. He finished after about ten minutes, but why was I sent to a room under maintenance? Next we noticed there was no toilet tissue, but we had to go out to a meeting so as we passed through the lobby we asked at the front desk if they could take some tissue to the room while we were gone. We were told to pick it up at the front desk when we returned (what poor service!). I told them we might forget so please send it up to the room.

Well, when we returned later that night, we did remember to check at the front desk if they had taken any tissue to the room. Of course not! We had to pick it up there and take it to the room ourselves.

Breakfast, both times I have stayed at this hotel is overcrowded and understaffed. Coffee and other items are often empty and waste baskets are full and messy/dirty. I feel sorry for the poor woman who tries to keep up, but has more work to do than can be done by one person. By the way, there is no oil spray to keep waffles from sticking as there is at all other local hotels. There is also no easy way to extract the sticking waffles from the waffle iron (all other hotels I have stayed in have a plastic tool for doing so, so one does not burn fingers).

The front desk is also often unstaffed. One has to ring a bell and wait until somebody shows up. This hotel is clearly all about the owner and not the guest. It is clean and somewhat quiet (construction going on on two sides of the hotel).

However, beware. . . Both times I have stayed here the fire alarm has gone off. The first time I stayed here the alarm went off at about 8:00 AM so it was not a big deal. The last time it was at 2:00 AM! It sotpped after a few seconds, scaring the daylights out of my wife and I. Needless to say, with the adrenaline pumping, it took quite some time to get back to sleep!

My wife enquired about the 2:00 AM fire alarm at the front desk in the morning. She was told it was a very sensitive system so if anybody smokes in any of the rooms, the whole hotel gets to be jarred awake! Everything at this hotel seems to be favoring the owners and not the guests. It is quite different from the total service Hampton Inn that I have now chosen to stay at for my future frequent visits to the area.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter, but only one slow elevator makes it a chore to get down for breakfast...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was very nice. The beds were very comfy. The rooms were a good size- not too small but not extra large. This hotel had inside hallways which made it feel nicer overall. While we did not use it, the hotel did have an inside swimming pool. Also, the hotel had a hot breakfast. They even had waffles. If we ever had the chance to stay in a hotel under this same name and it had the same quality as the hotel in Visalia, we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Hot Springs, Arkansas, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

had a wonderful visit and stay. I alway stay with la quinta inn because of the people and the way they were so good to us when we lost our mother in march. They are a very nice group of people you have working for you. I will alway stay with la Quinta. Thank you

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

While travelling with my daughter and her 2 year old twin girls, we stayed here for one night. The hotel is convenient to get to, and has several restaurants within close walking distance. Our room was very comfortable, the only issue was that the door was open when we first got to it, and we discovered that it didn't automatically latch shut, so that was a little unsettling. We were on the first floor and didn't have any problem with noise. The twins were anxious to try out the pool, so as soon as we got settled we took them swimming. The water in the pool was so cold that we couldn't stand it, so instead we decided to try the jacuzzi. That water was warm, but not as warm as you'd expect. The girls had a good time playing in ther, except that it got a little crowded. Breakfast the next morning was great, the only odd thing was their selection of juices. Instead of the basics like orange and apple, they had things like mango/kiwi cocktail, so our little apple juice lover wasn't able to get her morning fix. After checking out we discovered that our car had an issue and ended up having to stay another night. This time we were put in a 2nd floor room with 1 king size bed and a twin size sofa sleeper. The bed was glorious, the sofa sleeper was barely tolerable, and the neighbors were a bit loud. However, the staff was so helpful and understanding of our situation that it more than made up for noisy neighbors.

Room Tip: I recommend the first floor, it seemed quieter than the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Fine, neat clean. Admittedly, this was a super fast stay for me, barely 12 hrs, but here it is. Great location just off highway within walking distance of several stores and small restaurants. The hotel materials advertise free wifi and it is, but you have to call the desk for the password as it isn't in any printed material in the room. There is a coffee maker but no tea. The material in the room advertises complimentary water and snacks but these must be in the lobby as there was no water in the room. Unfortunately, the walls were so thin that I could hear the person in the next room snoring even with my tv on and those upstairs walking around.
Otherwise a good choice.

Room Tip: Request top floor room on end for quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family