“Great Food - Be careful where you sit”
Review of Cafe 225

Cafe 225
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe 225 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 294 Restaurants in Visalia
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Encina
Transit: Downtown Visalia has a trolley service making a scenic loop around the downtown district. It creates an opportunity to park and shop.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We ate at this restaurant on July 25, 2013 after making reservations on OpenTable. It was rated high, so our expectations were aligned with the reviews. Our initial 10-15 minutes were disappointing to say the least (more later) but they turned around when the food came and this turned out to be a very pleasant experience.

We we went to dinner early and asked for a table near the window. No problem. Not only was the restaurant nearly empty at 5:00pm there was another reason people would not be sitting near the window - FLIES. After discussing the menu and specials which the server was not very familiar with (possibly just came on shift and it was a relatively new menu) we ordered a bottle of wine. As we enjoyed a very nice bottle of Chardonnay the flies decided to try to escape thru the window. There were dozens of them. After swatting and killing many, we asked to be reseated, which was no problem in the still relatively empty Cafe. The server confessed that the table we were at has this problem every day and they usually attack it with a vacuum cleaner. Apparently we got there too early and the Fly removal had not taken place.

The other table was fine and we had no more problems with flies. They seemed to be only near the table we originally occupied. The server, in the meantime, got up to speed on the menu and specials and was very helpful. I had some special dietary needs which needed to be accommodated and she did a great job working with people in the kitchen to work with those constraints.

I had a Rib-Eye steak which turned out to be the best I've ever had. My wife had a Pork Roast - which she never orders - and she was blown away with its taste and tenderness.

Bottom line, after you get seated in the right place the wine was fabulous as was the food and the service was good.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Cafe 225 is a Visalia must visit. They have a very eclectic menu with great specials using lots of local ingredients. My favorite is the Frenchie. Without a doubt, the best burger I have ever eaten.

1  Thank momalu444
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went for lunch, a rare day off without kids. Wife and I both had the chicken and salad. Service was excellent, as was the food. We will return as often as possible.

1  Thank bbzebra
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

One of my favorites in town. Great chicken wraps, salad, rotisserie. Very good Cesar salad and clam chowder. Very nice wait staff.

1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I've been here twice. Not impressed either time. The service was horrible the first time and the food was okay. Decided to try it again and although the service was much better, the food was still sub-par and overpriced. I won't be going back here. There's plenty of other places in Visalia that I would much rather spend the same amount at.

1  Thank Josiah B

Been to Cafe 225? Share your experiences!