“Don't eat here!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“Don't eat here!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I can't put it more plainly. We eat plenty of Indian cuisine in the UK so we thought we would try some Indian food USA style. We really wished we hadn't.

The restaurant (it is debatable whether this place really qualifies as a restaurant) is like a school hall. It offers a buffet style eat as much as you like option, we went for the safer a la carte menu. We were served spiced poppadum with two accompaniments, neither of which were recognisable to me. One red one green, we only needed a yellow one for the full set. The poppadum's were too spicy for Lisa, and that really set the scene for everything else.

We specifically ordered items which shouldn't have been too spicy hot, and further more asked for them to be cooked at strength 5 from their own 1 to 10 range. Everything came out with the same intensity and again Lisa found it unbearably hot and only eat a couple of mouth gulls before admitting defeat. For my shame I soldiered on with my Jalfrezi ( this is traditionally served quite spicy, but with fresh green chillies, which I now pick out and put to one side) There were no green chillies for me too pick, so goodness only knows what recipe this was made too.

We did complain about the heat from the food and were greeted with an oh dear and offered a bowl of rice pudding as a peace offering, which had some rather dubious red stuff squirted on top. We left that as well.

The following day I have been suffering from terrible heartburn and a general discomfort.

Whether this is symptomatic of Indian food in USA, I do not know, but I will not be taking a risk again.

My advice to travellers in the Visalia area, is to not take a risk with the Taj Palace, the food is pretty awful and it doesn't even have the good grace to be cheap!

• Visited July 2013

“School canteen atmosphere. Did not risk the buffet as there was no one in the restaurant. Note there is no alcohol served curren”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went to this restaurant as it was within walking distance of where we where staying and the reviews put this place in the top 30.

I really can't understand why. The waitress had no knowledge of what was in any of the dishes. When asked which Indian region the cuisine was from, the answer was all of India. Trust me when I say this is completely wrong and a vet naive answer, especially to a person of Indian origin.

I ordered a salted Lassi and asked for some jeera (cumin seeds) to be added. Again the waitress was clueless. Did I mention she was the acting manager as well as the owners were away. The answer was a little peculiar given the had jeera rice on the menu which contains the spice I was looking for.
They served some chutneys and I was a little nervous of trying the red one as it looked like there was a ton of food colouring. When I asked what was in there she proceeded to answer with, it's a secret. I was not looking for the recipe but was trying to ascertain what the base was. Ie mango, chilli, vinegar etc. after asking the chef she came back and said tamarind. Tamarind dark brown. Hence I was right. Lots of food colouring. Personally, I do not find cuisine with tons of colouring tastey. The spices used to do this are not very good for you and can cause all sort of problems in the morning if you are not used to it.

We ordered a butter naan and a tandoori roti. On arrival, both tasted and looked very similar.

Overall the food was extreme poor and the staff although friendly and polite, very unknowledgable. I would highly recommend you be careful when going to this place and evaluate whether you should go for the buffet.

I generally stay away from buffets in a quiet establishment as there is no indication or guarantee of how fresh the food is.

• Visited June 2013
Long Beach, California
“Excellent food”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

North indian cuisine food served here is excellent quality. Also quantity provided is very sufficient. Will visit here again when in Visalia.

Visited May 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Don't be scared if you want delicious Indian food”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Now this was a real experience! Went there only because of good reviews, because the entrance is hard to see and it looks kind of shabby on the outside. The inside was a bit strange as well; an enormous space with tables and chairs, but all of them were empty... Good for a big party group, but not a great ambiance if you go out for dinner in a small group.

Service was real funny, there was a really sweet girl waiting on us, but it seemed as her first day waitressing... Not all beverages on the menu were available, but she didn't know which beverages were in stock. After we've already made or choice, she then brought a large tray with all kinds of beer they had (which was kind of scary since she was a bit clumsy, but nothing broke). Also, every time she spoke with the guys from the kitchen to place our order, she came back to ask something else, because apparently she forgot something.

But hey, it's all about the food and the food was delicious! Terrific Indian flavours, tender pieces of chicken, a perfect dish in combination with the yellow rice & peas. We wil definitely come back if we're ever in Visalia.

• Visited May 2013
Tulare, California
“Pretty Good Service and Food”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We just visited this place, the outside is very worn down and not to inviting. Service was pretty good and attentive to what we needed. The atmosphere inside was decent, the food was good along with their desserts. I really liked that they had Buffet at dinner time, when we the dish was low they filled it up again. The whole staff was really nice, i will be coming back here again.

• Visited March 2013