New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“The epitome of the B&B experience...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Spalding House Bed & Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Visalia
The Spalding House Bed & Breakfast Inn
You added The Spalding House Bed & Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 3 Visalia B&B and Inns
Placentia, California
“The epitome of the B&B experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

When I travel, I prefer B&Bs. The hospitality at the Spalding House is why I prefer B&Bs.

Peggy, my hostess, welcomed me to her home, the lovely Spalding House. She and her husband are only the third owners. They have treated this home with loving care. The original woodwork in the house is amazing. Filled with period antique furniture, somehow this B&B still feels like a home rather than a museum.

Peggy and her adorable grandson showed me to my suite, the Spalding Suite. I instantly felt relaxed. There is a sitting room off of the suite that was meant just for me. My evening was spent relaxing there, reading, and enjoying taking a break from my daytime travels.

Promptly at 8:30 a.m., just when I asked for it, Peggy knocked on my door and handed me freshly brewed coffee. At 9 a.m., she had my breakfast set up in the gorgeous dining room. There was plenty to eat and it was tasty, too.

I come through Visalia at least annually. When I do, I'll be staying here.

Thank you, Peggy, for making me feel so at home.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank LoriMercer

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Newnan, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I can't say enough good things about Spalding House. It is beautiful, tastefully restored and kept, and Peggy made us feel as though we had come back home. Her breakfasts were elegant and delicious. We wished we could stay forever.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank popsweetie
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I love the Spaulding House! It's huge and beautiful, but the innkeepers and cleaning woman are all very down-to-earth and nice.

My room was comfortable with fresh smelling linens, an attached private bathroom (I was told they all have private bathrooms) and a little sitting area.

For breakfast they made granola/yogurt parfaits, ham and eggs and toast and juice and coffee. It was so relaxing to sit on the huge, wrap-around porch in the porch swing and just read and listen to the nearby church bells chime.

Charming, comfortable and clean! :) You can also walk 3 blocks into downtown where there were a bunch of really good bars and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank PennyLaneLA
Wallasey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

My husband, father and I stayed two nights at Spalding House and we couldn't fault it. It was a marvellous experience. Peggy our hostess was really hospitable and made our stay very enjoyable.
Visalia was a good place to stop on route to see the General Sherman tree. To us (coming from England) it has the feel of small town America and we spent an enjoyable afternoon browsing the shops on Main Street. There are good restaurants, within walking distance of Spalding House, notably the Vintage Press which as it turned out proved to be our best meal in America and Tazzaria which was great for lunch.

• Stayed September 2009
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

Stayed here for a night to break the journey between Yosemite and San Luis Obispo, as Visalia seemed like one of the more pleasant towns in the San Joaquin Valley. I wouldn't recommend it as a destination in itself, but it's perfectly alright for a stopover, and convenient for Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks. Main Street was quite lively on a Saturday night, with several nice-looking restaurants, bars and music venues. However 80s saxophone music was piped along its length, which was quite creepy!

Seven blocks from Main Street is Spalding House, a period building beautifully decked out within with a lot of antiques and bold wallpapers. Our room had a four-poster mahogany bed, and a very sunny separate living-room; everything was much more spacious and better-looking than the website suggests. The owners were extremely welcoming and kindly, but perhaps need a hand running such a business.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank bigheadedroadtrip
La Jolla, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

We booked our room months ahead with a guaranteed stay with credit card. About an hour before arriving I called to get directions and received no call back. We had been driving for 7 hours and looked forward to our check in and relaxing. We arrived to find them turn us away. No apology, No offer to assist us find another room, nada! They said that they did not know if they were going to stay in the business of running a B & B. Well that is fine, but you don't accept reservations and have guests show up with no place to stay. They should have called us as a minimum. If I were you I would find somewhere else to stay. As it turned out, we found a room at the Comfort Suites downtown and had a nice stay there.
Never in all my years of staying at a B & B have I ever been so disgusted and disappointed with an innkeeper.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank artful9
Nevada City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

My son and I stayed here on Jan. 1 and what a wonderful visit. We took the train down from Sacramento, which drops passengers off at Hanford, about 20 miles away. We took the bus to Visalia and the owner of the Spalding House, Wayne, picked us up.
Wayne and his house are one - both very warm and charming. The house is Colonial Revival architecture and Wayne and his wife bought this place 20 years ago and lovingly restored all the rooms and the exterior to perfection. There are three bedrooms that they rent out. All rooms are filled with wonderful antiques and there is a Steinway Grand Piano in the living room and the fire place was putting out it's warmth.
We stayed up another hour chatting with this very interesting man as he made us tea and hot chocolate then our wonderful room beckoned us to get some well needed sleep.
Breakfast was scrambled eggs and French toast and poppy seed bread with cream cheese and strawberry jam - all excellent. After breakfast we walked around the gardens and the ample porch and decided that we will definitely return.

• Liked — Wayne
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the train
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bdouglas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Visalia
Visalia Marriott at the Convention Center
Lamp Liter Inn
Lamp Liter Inn
#3 of 13 in Visalia
4.0 of 5 stars 402 reviews

Been to The Spalding House Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!