“Great value”
Review of Lamp Liter Inn

Lamp Liter Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Members of my family and I stayed at the Lamp Liter over Memorial Day weekend. I was reticent because I'd lived in Visalia as a child and knew the Lamp Liter had been around for quite a long time. We booked there because of the pool, the proximity to the location of the event we were attending, and the price. We are not an easy bunch to please and everyone was pleasantly surprised by the well-maintained rooms and grounds. The spacious layout lent it a tranquility that one would not expect from a fully-booked hotel on Memorial Day weekend.

We encountered great service, a roll-away bed delivered to us promptly with no extra charge upon request, and hair dryer, clothing iron, fridge all in good condition. The restaurant was pretty good, although I maintain that it is so painful that the vast majority of American diners blow it with the coffee. It would be so amazing if a place like the Lamp Liter would invest in providing really good coffee for guests.

Room Tip: Try to get a garden view, top floor room. 211 was ours. Really nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ginamarie1969
There are newer reviews for Lamp Liter Inn

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Spacious rooms, good service, different looking place with a lot of mature plants. Tried the diner - lovely service but poor food (and an appalling karaoke in the adjoining bar area). Decent value for money overall.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This was our second time staying at the Lamp Liter in Visalia. Both times, we have chosen to stay in one of the cabin/cottages. These are pretty spacious with a living room, bathroom and bedroom with two queens. It also has a mini fridge/microwave and table with chairs and private patio that looks toward the pool. The front desk staff is very friendly and helped us with copies and advice about the area. If you are looking for upscale, this isn't it. However, if you want a spacious, classic hotel, this is a great choice. The AAA discount sweetened the deal. ;)

Room Tip: The cabins/cottages look out over the grass/gardens/pool. Very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I had a burger and fries with a root beer. I ask for lots or ketchup with all my food but the server suggested I try thousand Islands dressing with my fries an burger. It was good the best and I will order it that way every time. great service waited on with refills an napkins. Great job Eddie!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We only chose this motel for the low nightly rate through "Booking.com". After we got to our room, we noticed that there wasn't a refrigerator in the room so my husband called the front desk to request one because his medication should be refrigerated. The female employee said that she would check to see if they had one available and that she would call him back in 5 minutes. She never called back. My husband called back later that day and a male employee said, "there's no way I can get you one because everybody's gone for the day." My husband told the guy about the conversation with the female employee and the guy said that "she shouldn't have lied to you." The employee said that we could switch rooms but my husband told him that we've already unpacked and would like a refrigerator delivered to our room. The male employee said "I promise you that I will have one sent to you in the morning." The next day when we got back from lunch, there was no refrigerator in the room. My husband called the front desk again and was told that there was nobody there to deliver it so we wouldn't be getting a refrigerator.

We won't go back not only because of the dishonesty of the front desk employees but also because the room was dirty. The carpet wasn't vacuumed. The sink wasn't cleaned. We knew that housekeeping had been there because the beds were made. The walls are paper thin and we could hear everything from the adjoining room. The only positive comments I can give is that we had a fairly decent breakfast at the motel's coffee shop. Our server was very polite and gave us good service while we were there. The motel's pool and grass areas are very well maintained.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K. B
jan l, Manager at Lamp Liter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

First of all thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am quite sorry you did not receive a refrigerator it is just not that difficult to arrange for one and it should have happened. I cannot imagine any of our Front Desk Clerks saying "I'm sorry she lied". If anything this was an oversight and certainly not intentional and definitely not "dishonest". Your review does not state if you advised the Front Desk about the poor cleaning of your room. It would seem that you would have addressed these issues at the time of check out so that we could have checked things out first hand. I regret you were not happy or did not receive the attention you deserved.

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Great location, rooms were big. Also very clean & neat. Older tv but we weren't there to watch tv. Great restaurants near by. Not to mention there was a restaurant on premises. Would surely stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I had a tire problem hours after i used price line to book this hotel, the staff at lamp litter fixed me up for the next day. They didn't have to do that at all. happy with our stay, this place is a well up kept lush green community. I would stay here again because it's clean, cozy, and the people took care of me in a crisis.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple