“Keep coming back”
Review of Fox & Hounds

Fox & Hounds
Ranked #1 of 1 Llancarfan B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

After staying in January for the first time every time I visit I stay here. Good is excellent, rooms are fantastic and John and Sue really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Anyone visiting wales / Cardiff for business or short break should book here and not use the big chains. Rural setting but close to everywhere . Looking forward to my next visit.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Allan R

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Went looking for a midweek lunch and decided to make the trip to Llancarfan as it was somewhere I had not been in many years and remembered being impressed by the Fox & Hounds.

First thing to note about this pub is that it is far more restaurant than pub, with fully laid tables, white linen napkins and a fairly pricey menu.
On arrival, we went through to the bar area where we sat and enjoyed our drink in comfort, having ordered our food and waiting to be called through to the dining area. The food was excellent, generous portions, well presented and above all tasty.
The whole experience certainly exceeded my expectations from what I had originally planned for a lunch out. The bill of £46 for two courses, two people and one drink each makes this a place to go for that something special rather than a regular haunt but I would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WelshFoodie1980
Reviewed March 2, 2014

we stayed at the Fox and Hounds this Saturday night, it was tucked away you would not find it unless you did a web search.
We were greeted with a warm welcome, our room was large and very clean the bed very comfortable. We had a very nice meal which was served with a warm welcome smile nothing too much trouble.
we would recommend this pub/hotel for the super food and the friendly staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scatty-dame
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Llancarfan is a picturesque village, with a river ford, in the SE of the Vale of Glamorgan, close to Cardiff. The pub has a stone walled dining room and an ambitious menu, with several choices of fish. The food is beautifully cooked and the portions filling: I had the tartiflette, made with brie, which was sensational. Sensible prices, therefore great value for money. Visit the church next door if you get a chance to see the recently uncovered medieval wall paintings. Booking essential Friday, Saturday evenings and Sunday lunchtime. Easy parking.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ndld425
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have eaten at the Fox and Hounds on many occasions and so I knew there would be a god menu including many specials. We were welcomed by Sue who showed us to our table. There is a good wine list so I found a nice red.

The food is always delicious and there are always generous helpings. My birthday with family was a great success finished with a good malt in the company of the regulars.

My thanks to Sue and John Millard and their team for a most enjoyable evening.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff690_12
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I visited this establishment at the end of October.

On arrival, staff were very friendly and we were given a warm reception by the proprietress who showed us to our room which was a good size with a sofa and comfortable bed. Standard hot drink making facilities were supplied as was a wide screen television with all the freeview channels.

I tend to judge hotels on the standard of the en suite facility and was let down on my initial impressions of the hotel by cracked tile grouting and mould around the basin and bath fittings. The standard of the original workmanship was poor which probably contributed to the overall condition.
I know this was at the end of the season but there was no reason for things to have been allowed to get so far.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night but were disappointed by the standard of the food. We had read too many rave reviews of the place which gave us high expectations which weren't really fulfilled. Breakfast on the other hand was excellent although we did find it a bit disconcerting being asked in the evening what we wanted the next day.

At the price of the room, I don't think we will be staying there again. Definitely not the experience we were expecting.

Room Tip: Access to upstairs is not to be recommended for anyone with mobility problems. The alternative emerg...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank weebrian1
Reviewed October 27, 2013

we stayed at the Fox and Hounds last night (26th Oct) and actually only originally booked it because we couldn't get any accommodation nearer Cardiff due to the rugby..but what a find! - gorgeous old riverside building in a lovely well kept village. Our hosts Sue & John were welcoming, friendly and helpful. Although we were eating out at a family party we returned in time for drinks in the bar and again found a welcoming atmosphere and enjoyed chatting to a few of the locals who also clearly love the place!. Rooms were cosy and clean and breakfast was excellent with good quality ingredients and served in their lovely character filled dining room. We would definitely like to return here!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KazzDevon

Been to Fox & Hounds? Share your experiences!