“Ridiculous!!!! Do not stay here!”

Harrah's Resort Southern California
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Valley Center
GreenLeadersGold level
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
“Ridiculous!!!! Do not stay here!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Supposedly this place is four diamond. I do not know what four diamond hotel starts construction work at 5am in the morning on a saturday! Picture waking up to the echoing noise of a hammer bitting a nail. Then it stops for 5min, then it continues and continues AND continues. No consideration for it's hotel guests at all. I understand construction, upgrades, and renovations happen but that early is just beyond ridiculous! I read some other reviews to see how management might handle this situation, did not even bother because it sounds like they wouldn't care anyway. Not ever staying at a Harrah location again.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,778)
  • Korean first
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband, who does travel reviews, and I made this trip from Arizona to stay at the new and improved Harrah's Rincon in San Diego. You have to drive outside of the city, through a farming community to even get here in the first place, but we were willing to make this drive. Big mistake. First off, at check in everything went well. Got to the room, it was clean, and roomy but the view was of the air condition units, but that was still tolerable. As I stated in the first part of the review, my husband does travel reviews so this was a working vacation for him. He sets his laptop up on the desk and goes through the process to set up the Wi-Fi, and it doesn't work. He tries several more times over the next hour and still nothing. So we call the front desk. They explain that you need to talk to housekeeping. Housekeeping, really? So we call, and they send up maintenance. Again, maintenance really? They come after 40 minutes and bring their small laptop and say their machine works in our room it must be our equipment. Nothing they can do, it has to be our equipment. So my husband again, looks at all the settings, verifies that the virus protection is not blocking anything, and he tries again. Nothing. So we notice a phone number on the television screen and my husband decides to try that. We call them and after being on the phone with that technician for over 45 minutes her has us trying our smart phones also, they cannot connect. He states that it has to be Harrah's equipment or router and hangs up. So, I again call the front desk and I am told it is our equipment, there is nothing they can do. Customer service training needed badly with their staff. So my husband and I decide to go to dinner and figure out if we are staying or going. We are now 3 1/2 hours into our vacation and nothing but frustration. We go back to the room and my husband tries it again and what do you know, it connects. We go down to the front desk and the manager explains that there was something wrong with their router and he explains that he is sorry for the inconvenience. Do you think they could have contacted us and let us know that it was in fact their equipment. Bad, Bad, Bad. I would stay in town, probably down in the Gaslamp District. That would be money better spent that staying on this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BobsAngel
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Staying at nearly every Ceasar's Entertainment resort on the west coast, I was slightly disappointed by this one.

When you walk in the lobby, you're greeted by a giant tv displaying resort and aquatic photos and those of the like. The lobby is decorated with every elegant looking decor, which impressed me very much. However, the lobby was the only thing to impress me at all.

Being a total rewards player, we got our room for a very cheap price. The room wasnt too bad, considering it had a refrigerator and a flat screen tv. Housekeeping delivered extra sheets and pillows in less than an hour.

The buffet..... was overpriced for such bad food. To be honest, it could of been because when we arrived it was about an hour until closing time, but still, the food was cold and stale, and none really pleased any of our tastebuds. There is cotton candy and gelato at the dessert station though!

If youre traveling with family, i wouldnt reccomend staying here. It's far away from San Diego attractions and such, and the only things worth doing here would be gambling, eating, and swimming.

A 40 minute drive to Legoland and and even farther drive to the Fashion Valley Mall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I booked a last minute reservation here for a Saturday night. The room rate was $459.99. Definitely pricey but I was hoping that maybe they booked us for an upgraded room or something. We got to the room and it was just the standard room. I looked in the closet and as required, the rate was posted at $399 per night. So, I was overcharged $59.99. According to California Civil Code Section 1863, they can not charge more then the rate posted - $399. When I realized this I called the front desk. I will not say the lady's name, but she told me that she had never heard of rates being posted in the rooms. The next morning at check out, I politely inquired again as to why our rate was higher. I was told it was because they were overbooked. I have my receipt and the picture of the rate table. Personally, I was willing to pay $459.99 until I saw the room and realized I was being over charged. I don't mind paying for an expensive room but I don't like knowing that I got ripped off and having the employees brush it off. To make matters worse, there was construction and they worked 24/7. You should request a room further away if possible!

Aside from the room, we had a great time and will definitely return (not to the hotel though).
So, I would rate the hotel 2/5 and the casino/food 4/5.

Room Tip: Stay away from the construction!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JEPR84
Windsor, California
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The front desk clerk was excellent and helped check me in with friendly attitude. It was taking forever in line but he appeared to want to be helpful so made the wait not a big deal. He gave me a room close to the elevator....... but the elevator was a mile away. But the moment I opened the door i was overlooking the pool and the view was beautiful. Room was comfy....was just there for a quick night but enjoyed......... room was a little older but clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time there rooms were great beds great and service great pool very nice and restaurants were nice had a great time and will do it again soon . If driving around stop at the produce stands for excellent produce every one so very nice

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank genobear
Hurricane, Utah
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were planning a trip to San Diego and did not like the price of the hotels. I came upon Harrah's Rincon and we decided we would stay there and drive into San Diego.

It is currently undertaking the construction of a second tower, but we did not hear very much noise in our Spa Tower room on the 18th floor.

The room was very nice with a huge bathroom - deep soaking tub, separate glass shower with rain showerheard (not my favorite type) and separate toilet room. We opted for the King bed (not lumpy as previously reported, but it has a quilted pad that is different from what we sleep on at home. There is a desk, sofa and chair also. The website photos tell it all. We got a great deal on the room.

The casino is fairly large and split into smoking and non-smoking. They have a good air filtration system so even the smoking area was tolerable. Lots of penny slots and fun themes - Firehouse, Alibaba, Hot Shots, etc.

We ate at the Café which was adequate - won ton soup was good. I love the vegetarian omelet, coconut shrimp with spicy (hot!) chili dipping sauce and the apple pie a la mode. We did not venture into the steak house or Asian restaurant, but I could not resist the chili dog at Pink's.

Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. They always speak to you as you pass (so don't wait by the employee entry next to the Café or you will feel like the Walmart greeter!).

The Garden Tower is probably closer to the construction noise (only 4 stories) but it is where the pool and jacuzzi's are. Construction should not be a problem later this summer.

Thursday seemed to be the friendliest slot day and we played late into the night. Be sure to enroll in the rewards program and collect your benefits as you go back to your room. There is a freebie or two to be taken, don't forget.

There are other Indian casinos and two indian missions along the same road if you want to venture out.

Room Tip: We had the even number room so we overlooked the pool (spa tower). I believe the other side looks o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Temecula Creek Inn
#5 of 19 in Temecula
Hampton Inn & Suites Temecula
BEST WESTERN Escondido Hotel

Been to Harrah's Resort Southern California? Share your experiences!