“Rooms need updating”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Rooms need updating”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past year for work. While the lobby and dining area has been nicely renovated, the rooms need work. During this last stay I had a room with peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, a loudly rattling air conditioning unit, and a toilet with running water (which I ended up fixing myself). Also, the desk chairs are totally uncomfortable - not good when you have to sit there and get work done. Please renovate the rooms to match you lobby.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
AMcPeak, General Manager at Courtyard Vacaville, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
I greatly appreciate your having taken the time to write a review of our hotel. I am very pleased to be able to answer you by saying that we are in the process of a total guestroom and hallway renovation. To date, the guestroom bathrooms have been updated. The next time you visit our hotel on business, you will certainly be able to notice the changes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed one night and are scheduled to stay another next month. Everything was great. Simple breakfast, but enough. Great coffee! Clean rooms. Paul Mitchell hair care. Very nice staff. The lobby/sitting area is very inviting with comfy couches, snacks and TVs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank redreader36
AMcPeak, General Manager at Courtyard Vacaville, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
How great that you will be returning to our wonderful Vacaville Courtyard! You will likely notice some nice renovation improvements to our guestrooms and hallways. My staff and I look forward to seeing you soon!
Burney,Ca
Reviewed September 7, 2013

It was so nice to arrive and be greated so warmly by Meagan and another team member. They were both very warm and friendly. It started the stay off very nicely. The lobby has definitely been updated and was very nice. It's great to have an area to get a drink from the Bistro and relax. We also used the patio area in the Courtyard and it was nice as well.
Now to the room. It was an average hotel room for the price and seemed to be clean. There were some areas where it seems the maintenence dept. had overlooked or fixed poorly. The bathroom area seems to have had some water damage and appeared to have been fixed with joint compound and paint. It looked like it was done by a complete beginner. There were also some poorly done repairs to the wallpaper. These were not things that would keep from staying again but kind of surprising for a Marriott hotel. The beds were comfortable but I hate double beds, come on put some queens in there. My wife slept with our 9 year old daughter so we could have some more space. Also a mini fridge would be nice in the room .
The pool area is OK. The major plus for the area is that it's outside. I do not like indoor pools in areas that have warm weather. Most of the hotels nearby have tiny indoor pools and hot tub areas. There is also a BBQ near the pool that would come in handy if you were staying a few nights, even though there was not a fridge in the room.
The breakfast at the Bistro was just OK. More of a convenience than anything. The staff seemed a little off the one morning we ate there and many customers had to ask for things that should have been taken care of beforehand. They forgot 2 of our drinks and there was not any salt and pepper on most of the tables. The food seemed pre-prepared and I think next time we would go out for breakfast. If it was a free breakfast it would have been really good, but when you pay for breakfast, you expect a little more.
You're probably wondering why I gave the hotel such a high score, I'm starting to wonder myself. It was the staff. I put a lot of weight in how we are treated by the staff. If it wasn't for the excellent staff at this hotel, the score would have been lower for sure.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the courtyard. They are quieter and have sliding glass doors that open up to the g...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AMcPeak, General Manager at Courtyard Vacaville, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and your wonderful comments about Meagan our great staff. I often hear from our repeat guests that they choose to stay at our hotel whenever they are in Vacaville because of the warm, happy and excellent guest service given by our staff throughout their stay. We are in the process of full guestroom renovations and I am happy to say that the double beds will be changed out for new queen beds as you suggested. The bathroom tile was just replaced and new wall vinyl will be next. The new Courtyard finished look will be very clean, innovative and inviting. We hope that you will return to see all of our great features and changes.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We made a tour in Californie during August and I must say that I was disappointed about the breakfast service in this hotel. Apparently the women behind the desk gets nervous when people must decide what to eat. Beside that, the room was nice, it was great to have a premium outlet across the street as well !

• Stayed August 2013
AMcPeak, General Manager at Courtyard Vacaville, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Mieke,

I appreciate your taking the time to write a review of your stay an I apologize for the confusion you experienced while ordering your breakfast in our Bistro Yesterday. I will speak with my Bistro staff and make certain they are all thoroughly trained and confident in knowing how to explain and offer our breakfast items and the Panera-like ordering process. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed shopping at the Premium Outlet shopping mall accross the street from the hotel.May I suggest that during your next visit, you experience the Bistro for dinner or cocktails after your day of shopping. It is a very relaxing area and many of our guests take their food and beverages out to our beautifully lit outdoor courtyard to enjoy our wonderful evening ambience.
Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great staff,nice rooms, a courtyard where you can sit and enjoy a drink and if its hot jump in the well kept pool to cool off, the location is perfect you can shop till you drop and you are in walking distance to all different types of restaurants, yes there are cheaper hotels in the area but for the few extra bucks im staying at the Courtyard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AMcPeak, General Manager at Courtyard Vacaville, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Hi Dave,
What a great review! Thank you for pointing out so many of our wonderful features that make our Courtyard the ideal location to stay for travelers along the I-80 corridor between San Francisco, Napa Valley and Sacramento.We have so many amenities that no other hotel in Vacaville has. We are happy that you were able to enjoy our new Bistro and lovely outdoor inner courtyard. I agree that our value is found in all of the extra high quality features unique to our hotel coupled with our amazing staff service. We look forward to seeing you on a return visit!
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here quite a few times over the past years. Consider the property my home away from home. Location is great. Easy on and off the freeway. Plenty of eating establishments within walking distance. Premium Outlet mall across the street to meet your shopping needs. The hotel staff are very friendly and personable. Ready to help you with any problem or meet any need you may have. Fresh cookies baked every weeknight. Meals prepared on property are tasty and reasonably priced. There isn't an elevator, but then there are only two floors, so that shouldn't stop you from experiencing a great stay. Highly recommend staying when you are in town

Room Tip: First floor courtyard rooms are a nice touch. If you are so inclined, ask for the Jacuzzi room. Nice...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Cornwell,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We love that you consider the Vacaville Courtyard your home away from home and that to us, you certainly are considered family! It was such a nice surprise for me and my staff to see you again and it was wonderful to be able to catch up on the news of your fiance.We hope one day that you will bring her to the hotel to meet all of us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is my second stay at the Vacaville Courtyard. The location is super convenient, and the staff is always courteous. The lobby was nicely updated, and there is a lovely poolside area with comfy seating. But that's where the nice stuff about the hotel ends.

First, the motel has no elevator. And while the hotel staff will say "we're happy to help you with your luggage" a hospitality vendor without an elevator in 2012 is, well, inexcusable. The carpets throughout the halls of the motel are soiled and worn, and the wall-coverings throughout the motel are long past needing to be replaced.

When I opened my door to my room, there was a wall light fixture on, glaring florescent light. For a moment I thought I heard the theme from Twilight Zone with visions of a Motel 6 blinking in my mind. The bathroom had been recently repaired, and it looked more like Mac the Butcher did the work. Literally, the wallpaper beside the toilet was yellow, and then there had been a repair along the bottom foot of the bathroom wall. Instead of replacing the wallpaper, it was patched with wallpaper of a totally different pattern and color. Let's just say it wasn't a professional repair job.

My experience with the lobby restaurant wasn't much to write home about. I ordered scrambled eggs, with cheese and fruit. The eggs came without cheese and the fruit was totally absent. The very polite waitress noticed the missing cheese (but not the fruit) and said she would bring it to me - she did not until I went to the cashier and asked for it. Instead of taking the eggs back and cooking them properly, they brought me a portion cup of shredded cheese!!! The food lacked any flavor and the haphazard service was annoying. While they were plenty of staff in the restaurant - I think I counted five, they were very unorganized and had trouble accommodating the modest number of breakfast guests without seeming hurried flabbergasted.

I think the word motel best sums of the Vacaville Courtyard by Marriott. It tries to be an adequate place, but the building is really old and needs a total renovation. The place is clean, but it wouldn't be where I would choose to stay. It's an old-style motor motel, and I guess that's ok for $49 dollars, as long as they "leave the light on for ya". But for $119, I really expect a lot more.

Room Tip: inside rooms are best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Terry M
AMcPeak, General Manager at Courtyard Vacaville, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I sincerely appreciate all of your observations and completely agree with your kind comments about our wonderful staff and our beautiful courtyard and pool area. I apologize for the challenges you encountered at breakfast and will relay your comments to our Bistro staff and use the opportunity for training reinforcement with our new associates. I am happy to say that we are in the process of the total renovation you recommended and look forward to our guests experiencing a completely new hotel in the near future.