“Excellent Food and Service”

Clay Oven Bar & Grill
Ranked #18 of 193 Restaurants in Vacaville
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Carlsbad, California
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is an Indian food experience I will continue to have on future travels in the area. We had Tandoori Salmon, safron rice with cashews and golden raisins and some of the best naan (stuffed with feta cheese). The salmon was so delicious, served on a sizzling platter over onions and peppers. Nice ambiance and wait staff. It was not busy at the early time we ate and the food came out quickly.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank cbatzler

Vacaville, California, United States
“Great Food, Okay Service”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Been here twice now, and the food is to die for! Somewhat on the spicy side. Even the mild dishes are spicy to me, but I'm kind of a wimp! We've tried a few different types of naan, coconut lamb, chicken tikka masala and a prawn, tomato and mushroom dish. The quality and taste of the food is excellent. However, the service is lacking. Our waitress failed to tell us that they had some specials, we found out when we overheard another waitress telling the table next to us the specials. We already had our food, so couldn't really do anything. Also, two of the servers had a disagreement on how to clear a table, and felt it appropriate to hold the disagreement out in the dining area. Also, for some reason, three of the tables in the dining area are always piled high with clean dishes and napkins (25 or so on each table). The dining area is for customers, not storage.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Heather D
Fairfield, California, United States
“great food”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The ambience is nice compared to some of the other indian restaurants I've been to. The caterers are ok but the food is delicious. I've never tasted better navratan korma even in India. And the cilantro naan is excellent. This is a north indian restaurant and all the items I've tasted here - tandoori platter, chicken curry, lamb curry, are really good. I'm not sure why but the food always tastes better in the night time :-}

• Visited September 2012
Vacaville, California, United States
“The BEST Indian food I've ever had”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My wife and I are fanatics about Indian food, and this place takes the top spot. We've had Indian from a few other "top-tier" restaurants in the West Palm Beach, FL area (where we used to live) and this one beats the others by a landslide. We only wish this place was more popular.

Our server was helpful, but we came in the daytime, so I'm not sure if it's any different at night.

You HAVE to get the Tikka Masala, either that or the Korma. The lamb is usually excellent.

Also, the cilantro naan is to die for if you're a fan of cilantro, which my wife and I are.

After we ate here, we went back to our favorite Indian spot in West Palm and it was tasteless in comparison. The chef knows how to do it right here.

Please go here, tell your friends, and never stop. :-)

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jonny S
Portland, Oregon
“A JEWEL in a desert!”
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Thwre were a lot of haters on the previous reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. The space is a bit odd for an Indian restaurant (They do have a few Thai dishes but they are a curiosity, not a focus) but my server explained they are the 4th restaurant in this space. I ordered the Prawn Kadai and Nan both were as good as I have had in Portland or Seattle (better than some in those places). These guys did a GREAT JOB with their food. My only disappointment was the bar: I order Manhattan only to be told they don't have bitters; Seriously? Better drop "Bar" from the name. Good selection of beers, the wine list looked good and a good selection of hard liquer. The wait staff was helpful and in tune with my dining experience. I will come back when in the area.