“Don't Go ! You'll Ruin It !”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pine Acres Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Upper Lake
Pine Acres Resort
Fremont, California
“Don't Go ! You'll Ruin It !”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I think that I've tried every type of accomodation over the years and I find this one very adequet. I go there to fish, BBQ, enjoy the company of everyone I meet and cook what I catch or bring with me. It's not fancy, and yes, it gets crowded, so what. It is not staying at home and watching TV eating pork rinds. The fishing for trout or Bass can be good. The water is cool and refreshing at the small beach. Kids love playing in the water and trying to corral ducks. We sleep fine. The cottages and motel are old, but again, it's not home. If you're a Hyatt Regency snob and have your nose way up in the air and need to have a mint left on your pillow, Stay Away ! In other words, " Don't Go ! You'll Ruin It ! "

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank David S

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We went RV camping in this spot that is used by cabin dwellers, tent campers and motor campers of all kinds. The sites were SO close together that we often had no room for the picnic table or even our folding chairs. It was possible to hear everything your neighbors were saying and see all that they were doing. Also during the w/end (we stayed Friday through Tuesday) they have day use patrons, which added to the crowding & noise level significantly. But when they all left, evenings at the end of the weekend, it was a beautiful and serene place, right off the Blue Lake. There was a breeze every evening that cooled it down and made sleeping much easier. Facility had boats for rent and several places to put your own boat in the water. While we did not stay in the cabins, I did look into them while they were cleaning. Seems like they have seen better days but were fairly clean for the most part.

Room Tip: I would confine your stay to the weekdays rather than the weekends during the summer.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mazbarth
Petaluma, California
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My boyfriend camped here as a child and when we started planning a 4th of July camping trip with our combined kids this seemed like the best choice. I booked the sites far in advance, but even planning ahead I got the last two sites. I took that as a good sign, usually good places sell out. I was concerned when I read the other reviews here posted about nightmare experiences, so by the time we arrived I was still excited but a little bit nervous. I'm the type of person that books a suite at the Four Seasons and I like to spoil myself -- BUT for this camping trip I told myself I am CAMPING.... and it's supposed to be rough. I didn't experience any loud sprinklers, or raging pit bulls as described by other reviews. I did experience a lot of drinking, but it was 4th of July weekend in Lake county, so I pretty much expected that. The staff was very friendly, but not what I would say in control… they did drink too much, and I felt were unable to monitor the patrons. They have a day use area and I found that people came to party and BBQ, but by nightfall things could get a little out of hand. The Sheriff came on Sunday night, but it seemed to end without incident and our neighbor who had been living in his camper there for a year assured us it was the one and only time he had seen that happen.
If you are looking for a very quiet experience, this is probably not for you… because even without tourists – there are many ducks living on the property and as soon as dawn breaks they start strolling around quacking loudly. To stay more than the three nights we stayed would have been very rough on me.
On the positive side- the beach is nice, the swimming area for the kids is nice, a rope swing was just across the lake—close enough to swim there, the convenience store opened early closed late and was well stocked. The fishing dock was really nice and everyone there was friendly and helpful. The bathroom was clean… this wasn’t a problem when we went and it was pretty busy.
There are about five or six campsite along the fence line that have NO shade whatsoever (we happen to take two of them). If you are camping in a tent (not a camper) I would suggest you avoid the fence line. If you are stuck at the fence line, the day use area was nice and shaded, as was the beach and a pleasant breeze was blowing pretty much the whole time.

Overall it was a good experience and our kids loved it – but you have to calibrate your expectations – this has a lot of camp sites and it’s not a very large property so it can seem "crowded". There will be people drinking and partying. We didn’t find it to be obnoxious, but we are pretty tolerant people.

Room Tip: Avoid the fence line
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lizzardbreath
Oroville, California
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Beautiful area, nice managers... but that's where it stops. One mgr, some freak with OCD, cannot turn off the sprinklers. We were there from Thurs to Sun and they stayed on 24/7. Big, nosiy sprinklers - turned on the general grass area so the kids couldn't play and all picnic tables were soaked the entire time. Then turns them to the RV area and soaks their tables, goes in their windows and ruins their BBQ. Then turn them to our rented deck area and clubhouse so we couldn't get in or out without getting soaked... real nice when you have an armful of children or food. I complained the second day to see if they could turn them off at night so I could get some sleep - to no avail. I heard another camper tell them that they would never stay here again because of the sprinklers, but they continued even though we all were unhappy. I will never return, I came away utterly exhausted with no sleep for 3 nights. We had a large family reunion there and doubt that'll happen in this locale ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dallasgilmore
California
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Looking to vacation in a place that is filthy, run down, overpriced and packed to capacity with inadequate plumbing? Do you enjoy being kept up until the wee hours because the proprietors are too busy partying to respect their own posted rules of quiet time after 10 PM? Do you like finding inexplicable charges on your bill? Then Pine Acres Resort in Upper Lake, CA is the place.

Once a well-run establishment, under different owners, our family returned here for a reunion, reserving rooms, campsites and the common dining area for about 50 people. We spent a lot of money here and were treated very poorly. Unfortunately, complaints to the management fell on deaf ears.

The proprietors arranged to have their friends, a party of approximately 10 people and one large pit bull, park their RV and tent in a space located right in the middle of the area reserved by our family, and proceeded to party loudly all night.

The group dining area, which we rented, was filthy and the sink, which had no hot water for washing dishes, was continually clogged. The refrigerator was on the fritz, failing to keep our food cold.

To get to this dining area, we had to walk through this group's campsite. Very awkward, especially with the Pit Bull.

If you do decide to frequent this establishment, here are some tips:

1. Be sure to bring a plunger and a nose plug. The one toilet supplying the campground and day use customers - approximately 200 people - is perpetually plugged up, and the bathroom is filthy, leaving two equally filthy porta-potties as the other option.

2. Don't forget your flashlight. Due to a lack of lighting on the premises, one of our neighbors had to be hauled off in an ambulance after tripping on a log and landing on her back on a trailer hitch.

3. Most importantly, check your bill very carefully, and don't be surprised if you find additional mysterious charges, as several members of our party did.

We will never come back here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family