“What a great place that I have overlooked for years”

Kishi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 222 Restaurants in Upland
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I'm a local person, and for years I have gone to Tokyo Kitchen which has done well by me. I may have eaten at Kishi some years ago, but didn't switch. I had a couple buddies ask me to meet them there for dinner. I ordered a roll and a spicy tuna hand roll, not thinking of much. I was not prepared for what I would receive. Both rolls were huge and tasted very fresh. While we were there, an older guy who must be the owner, came up to us and started telling us jokes. I can usually pass on that stuff, but really he was funnier than hell. I mean real funny. Altogether a very memorable evening.

I loved it and went back a week later. They have a roll there with peppered salmon on it called San Andreas. I loved it so much I have gone back just for that.

In a day where there are so many sushi restaurants on every corner it could make you head spin, I love the fact that Kishi...an Upland staple for so many years, survives and has not lost the vision that is required to make for success. The people that work there have all been great. Bravo!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have gone to Kishi's for over 20 years now. Although, it has been a few years now since we have been there. Years ago I stopped going due to constant change over of staff, over cooked food at Teppan Grill and for the sushi non of the chefs other than Adolfo could roll a decent sushi roll that stayed together or had enough fish in it.

For our 45th Anniversary on 2/14/14, Valentines Day our kids took us back to the old place we used to love. We had a 7:45pm reservation for the tappan grill being with it being Valentine's Day we expected it to be crowded that was why we had made a reservation. We got there 20 minutes ahead of time and still we had 1 1/2 hour wait. They kept taking people who didn't have reservations that were complaining about waiting over and hour instead of telling them that people with reservations would be called first and that they would have a long wait. They were short staffed as usual, with only 3 chefs and I felt sorry for the chefs. We did get an excellent meal the sushi chef was superb. I order the seafood plate and it was awesome everything done perfect, but stressful due to the crowd that kept standing over by the tables.

Tonight 3/1/14 we went back again with a 5:30pm reservation and we were seated right away but they again were short staffed only 2 chefs this time, so we sat at the teppan table waiting after we received our salad and soup for about an hour. I heard some people complaining due to wait. Well, when our chef came over to do our table he started with the veggies, shrimp, calamari, fish, and scallops. No fried rice?? He proceeded to cook our food and the man next to us said, " I like my scallops done very lightly". So the chef focused on him ended result, he got way more scallops than my daughter or I did and ours on the thicker ones weren't done enough a little bit rawer and I wouldn't of been able to eat them at all. In the process he frustrated our chef and he over cooked the shrimp, then since he heard me complain to my husband about being shorted scallops and me making a comment about it stating that I guessed the man next to me was more important he cut the shrimp in thirds to look like he gave me more. The calamari was the only thing that was done right for even my salmon was over cooked and dry. Then lastly our fried rice was brought out from the kitchen, and didn't even taste the same it was terrible, I even tried seasoning it with soy sauce and pepper and it didn't help. My son didn't eat his and I ate very little of mine and that is one of my favorite things I came there for.

I am going to Wabi Sabi next time, I'm tired of this. When I take the time to make a reservation and pay $25.99 for my plate and so do the 5 other people at my table, I expect the rice to be stir fried at the table and our food done properly that's why I made a reservation and what I paid for. Its not my concern if he runs behind although I do feel sorry for the people who had later reservations that were still waiting.. They shouldn't over book than take walk-ins also. Ken the Japanese owner in my opinion is cheap and doesn't pay his staff properly,and over works them only caring for the olmighty dollar. Considering, today was a rainy day and it poured rain all day who would thing they would be that busy.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Excellent sushi, sashimi and other traditiional japanese dishes.

Very nice tempura dishes.

A bit iffy service at tables, but very friendly at the bustling sushi bar.

Also teppan cooking at your table if desired.

Some private party areas.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Kishi has been around in Upland for a generation and a half serving great sushi and excellent teppan. We have been going to Kishi for over twelve years on a regular basis for the quality of the food, that has always been high, the great service and cozy atmosphere. The prices are good also.

We were in the mood the other day for both sushi and teppan so we headed to Kishi for lunch. We had teppan - New York steak and Sesame chicken. We also had the teppan shrimp appetizer as well as a "Foothill Roll". The salad is crisp and cool and the miso soup is one of the best you'll taste. Great food can be enhanced by great sauces. If you try the teppan grill, you'll be served three sauces, so you can dip the grilled meat, chicken, shrimp or vegetables you are enjoying. All three sauces are great, but my absolute favorite is the ginger sauce. The recipe has been in the owner's family for generations, and I can say that I have yet to find a Japanese teppan restaurant in the US where the ginger sauce is better. If you're an "Inland Empire" local, or you're just passing through Upland and feel like some great Japanese food, stop in at Kishi's. You'll enjoy your meal, and will be back soon with company!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

"You are done eating; you go now.":

Oh, yeah.

Good food, reasonably priced and served decently.

But ambiance?? Civility???