Overall: One thumb down. (The other thumb and fingers are busy holding my nose to obliterate the smell of the cattle pastured at the town dump across the street from Vichy Resort.)
1. Tiny, tiny, tiny - especially irritating - no counter, shelf or cabinet in the bathroom.
2. The plumbing leaked all over the bathroom floor.
3. Garbage trucks start running to and from the dump at 7:00 a.m. Very noisy if your room is on the north side of the property. Effective wake-up call though!
1. The carbonated mineral water is nice but hard to enjoy in the rough concrete "troughs" you have to use to soak. The rough concrete was death to my swimsuit.
2. The troughs seem not to drain completely, providing a nice breeding ground for mosquitoes.
3. The hiking trail was too smelly to enjoy due to the cow manure smell from the pasture adjoining the trail.
4. We did not use the pool. The hot tub was nice, though rather strongly chlorinated.
5. Breakfast was unsatisfactory. Particularly unappetizing was the glop of something which looked like mayonnaise. I assumed that it was yogurt. Hot water for tea was do-it-yourself and wait for the water to boil. Fresh fruit was good. Hard-boiled eggs and cold pastries were not.
6. A dolly was provided to truck bags to the room - again, do-it-yourself.
7. Management refused to allow us to use the bathroom in the two empty rooms, one on either side of our room.
(Our toilet leaked from the base all over the floor.) We were instructed to use the toilet in the management office and to shower at the pool. Worse, the manager lied, claiming the rooms were occupied when inspection through the open curtains revealed otherwise, and neither of the rooms were on the maid's cleaning schedule.
Summary: We tried to make the best of it. We spent $156 for the tiny, leaky room, a poor breakfast and mineral water tubs that destroyed my swimsuit. Management was unhelpful, deceitful and finally downright rude. In our haste to leave, we forgot something. We called several times while still in the area, attempting to retrieve it. No one knew anything. When we were no longer nearby, we learned that the resort called our home in Texas the day we checked out to let us know they found our property. The management returned it improperly packed, contrary to our request that it be held until we made shipping arrangements
when we returned home. When we e-mailed them to let them know we would hold the resort responsible for any damage that was sustained in shipping, we received the following response from the proprietor, "You know it is people like you who sometimes make innkeeping no fun. Good luck in life and I hope you receive your pager. It was mailed afteryou failed to pick it up. I apologize for being so efficient and yes it was packed in a bubble envelope. G"
If you really want to see what the hot springs are like at Vichy, stay in Ukiah for a lot less money and just pay the day rate touse the springs and the grounds at Vichy. Otherwise, find a resort that is guest-friendly.
Basil, a friendly dog who roamed the grounds accompanied us in a brief walk. After our unhappy experience at Vichy, we
wondered if he hadn't been named after Basil Fawlty, the proprietor with an attitude who runs country resort Fawlty Towers in a British sitcom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vichy Springs is the best of two worlds a country inn and a hot springs resort. Rooms and cottages for overnight stays include full use of the naturally warm and carbonated Vichy mineral baths, hot soaking pool, Olympic size pool in summer and 700 private acre reserve to walk and explore. Breakfast is included in the morning, WIFI and telephone. Massage, facials and hot stone massage are available from 8am to 8pm daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Vichy Springs Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vichy Springs Hotel Ukiah
- Vichy Hot Springs