Vichy Springs Resort
$146
Agoda.com
Hotels.com
Very Good 4/5
All reviewshot springsgranolapastriescreekside roomhealing watersmark twainthe cottagespicnic tablesswimming poolhistoric resortvista pointunique placefull kitchenwinter monthspeaceful settingget away from it allrelaxing getaway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My young daughter and I (40yr mother) traveled to CA from KS, and after having stayed in SF for two nights and with family another three nights, we were ready for a relaxing quiet retreat in the country. I have been to many hot springs spots and was looking to stay at Orr HS in Ukiah, but they have a policy about children needing two adults present for overnight stays.

Orr recommended Vichy, which I had not known to be located on such a large beautiful countryside property. The front desk staff at Vichy and the proprietor, Gilbert, were very kind and helpful. We stayed in room 7, which is a Mountain View Room...We loved it. Comfortable bed, clean bathroom with tub and shower and no TV in room, thank goodness! (I do not like places that assume a TV is needed in bedrooms).

On to the springs...we arrived at night, and were told we were still welcome to use the baths :) Other resorts I had called informed me that children would need to exit the baths at 6pm (Wilbur HS) and 8pm (Harbin HS). Seeing as we were only staying one night and were on vacation and I was traveling singly with my very well-mannered child, I appreciated Vichy's trust in me as a guest to monitor my own child's needs/behavior. We loved our time there! We tried the 90F tubs at night first but found them to be too cool for us that night. So, instead, we soaked in the hot tub pool 104F and warmed right up. What smelled at first like chlorine, we later found was actually Bromine that is added to just the hot tub. We felt so relaxed and curled up in bed looking forward to the next morning.

The breakfast buffet offered a wonderful array of fruits, granola, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, pastries, bagels, tea, orange juice, coffee, and more than we could want. I liked the homey feel of helping ourselves to what we needed in the kitchen. There were staff nearby to help when we needed. Yet, we could still feel as if we were welcome to make ourselves at home.

We enjoyed the flora and fauna on our way to baths and during our hike. We hiked first to enjoy being active before settling into the tubs. Great idea. We were pleasantly surprised that the 90F did not feel too cold with the sun shining. Also, we discovered that if you stay in for a few minutes, you actually experience the warming sensation as described by the staff. I found that as I stayed in the lukewarm water, I went through several waves of warming then cooling and found the bubbles to be pleasantly tingling/healing to mildly sunburned areas on mine and my daughter's skin. Also, submerging myself all the way under for my head to remain warm felt deeply relaxing and warmer :> . We finished with a hotter soak in the 104F to get us ready for our long drive that day. Vichy allowed us to remain on grounds after check-out time (12noon) because they were not very busy. We appreciated their hospitality and relaxed setting.

We drove southwest to Philo and bought apples from a stand and then on to an Old Growth Redwoods grove in Hendy Woods State Park then down the coast back to the Bay area. Ocean views were stunning, clear blue skies and vast Pacific medicine for my native-Ca-now KS-living soul.

We loved our stay at Vichy so much that we returned the next week to stay another night after some family plans changed. This time we hiked up the creek to the waterfall and dipped into the cold spring! After, we hiked back to the baths and warmed up.

One downside to our second trip was the sound of gunfire from a nearby gun club. We did not hear any shots during our first stay. We talked to the staff about it and there are efforts being made to remedy the situation through the County. I will definitely return to Vichy regardless. However, getting the gun club to move to a different location would really make our next experience perfect for us!

My daughter enjoyed the whole place and the people immensely and really, everyone did treat her very respectfully as a guest. She had great conversations with Gilbert, the proprietor, whom I could tell, enjoyed speaking with her too. Another quiet restorative stay, after much driving, put us back on the road feeling ready for the next phase of travel. We Loved Vichy!

Room Tip: Reason why room service was average was only because the maid service arrived early while we were bathing before checkout time and threw out our snacks and my daughter's hiking treasures from the morning. To compensate, Vichy front desk staff let us back into the kitchen to replace the snacks. Not a terribly big deal but just thought to mention it. We enjoyed #7 Mountain view for solo or a parent with small child. Lovely and quiet. We looked at #11 for the next time if we travel with another adult. One queen and one twin. Lots of natural light during morning :) Nighttime is dark enough given heavy curtains...great sleep we had! Great water pressure too. Simple retreat rooms were lovely :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank integritymatters_11
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I dont have much positive to say. You should rethink if you driving from SF. Not worth it. Calistoga is closer and people are nicer.
Also there is a shooting ranch so you will hear gun shots.
Even if you rent a house and get there late, they will charge you for day use day after if you stay on property past 12pm. They charge for towel use as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank v d
Patron9874, Owner at Vichy Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

This guest was caught trespassing, or his guest was caught (depending on which one wrote this), and asked to pay for the overnight, breakfast and the baths use. He was not charged for towels. Credit card was declined and they paid in cash. They snuck a dog onto a non-dog property after signing the registration stating they had no pets. When confronted with all of this they threatened us (bribery) with a negative report on Tripadvisor and Yelp. Here it is and I guess 104F mineral soaking pool is cold and a very sophisticated ancient water being pushed by expanding CO2 from 6 miles below the surface at 90F, highly mineralized and highly carbonated is not what they were looking to rip us off for.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had another amazing stay. The hiking with the wildflowers was gorgeous, followed by soaks in the mineral baths that we had practically to ourselves on a Monday.

The quantity and quality of the fresh fruit at breakfast always amazes me. I asked where the yummy cinnamon cake is baked and it turned out it's from my favorite bakery in Healdsburg. Yum!

Room Tip: We love the cottages for cooking, but on this short stay we really liked the creekside rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Akubu
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a great place to unwind. We rented cottage 26, which is beautiful and spacious--not at all like a hotel room. I could stay a week. My only comment thus far is that the kitchen is not well stocked. There are 4 glasses, no wine glasses. There are 4 plates, not a single serving plate or bowl. No salad bowl. No baking tray, so you can't heat anything up. I believe there are 3 forks. We have a vacation rental and many people really like to stay home and cook. Basic spices are good, potholders, etc... Not to beat a dead horse, but a little could go a long way. OTHERWISE--turkeys, trails, tubs, deer, it's all good!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank desertbarb
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stumbled on this place while looking through a local tourism magazine as we drove down Highway 101. They have a full resort facility, but I opted for the $30 day pass which allows access to the mineral baths, hot tub, and swimming pool, as well as all the hiking trails on the expansive property. The mineral spring and baths were located down a lovely garden path that I'm sure is full of flowers in spring and summer. The trail took me across a wisteria covered bridge that must be spectacular when in bloom. There were enclosed cubicles with twin tubs for a private bath or a row of tubs outside if you want to go the nature & sunshine route. It is made very clear that bathing suits are mandatory since this is a co-ed area, but the enclosed cubicles do have locks so I'm guessing you could shed the suit behind locked doors.

I was given detailed instructions at the front desk and found it easy to set the drain and fill the tub. It's a pretty deep vessel but entry and exit wasn't difficult. I was the only person there and went for one of the outside tubs. I settled into the bubbling water. The sun was shining, I had a view of the hills and the sound of the creek running nearby. It was blissful! I'm sure the medicinal benefits would be the same if there were other patrons present but it sure was nice to have peace, quiet, and the place to myself.

After about an hour, (maybe more, I lost track of time) I did a long soak in the hot tub to loosen my muscles, then enjoyed a 90 minute massage from the lovely Patty. Candles, soft music, aromatic oils, and the skilled hands of an experienced practitioner. More bliss!

The day pass allowed me the rest of the afternoon on the property and I could have gone back to the mineral baths for another session or spent time at the pool or walking trails, but it was time to get back on the road. I'm not sure what their resort packages costs, but my day pass and massage came in under $200. We spent the previous night at an excellent Best Western on Orchard St. in Ukiah, (less than $65/night through Priceline) and found several great places to eat in town, (see my reviews on those for details.) so I'd consider staying off property and just splurging on a long day of relaxation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo