“Good food that could/should be great; woefully inept service”

Patrona Restaurant and Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Patrona Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 99 Restaurants in Ukiah
Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: School St.
Description: Patrona Restaurant and Lounge is located in the heart of beautiful Ukiah, Mendocino County, California. We are a family-run business and view the restaurant as an extension of our kitchen and living room. Our building served as the town grocery store for over one hundred years. Now lovingly restored, it is softly lit with warm brick walls, filled with hand crafted tables from local artisans and run by a staff that cares. Bridget and Craig, two winery chefs, opened Patrona in 2003. The simple goal was to enjoy the great area we live in and share this with our family and friends. Our mission statement is simply “Happy People”. We need to be happy about what we do and how we do it. Our guests need to be happy and feel good as well as our neighbors and future generations. This means a thoughtful and sustainable business. Our menu changes are based on today’s catch from the gardens, ocean and local purveyors.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were looking forward to a pleasant dining experience, and on entering Patrona thought we had found it. Very nice, clubby atmosphere with a big bar at the end of the room and a decked outside seating area, which is where we chose to sit, it being a mild May evening. Unfortunately, being seated promptly was the last thing that went right. We waited approximately 15 minutes for someone to even come and ask if we wanted a drink. In fact, I had gotten up and walked to the bar to order our drinks myself when the manager saw me and said he'd sent someone over, at which point our waiter materialized. After another 10 minutes or so, a different waitress came and asked if we were waiting to order. We told we did want to order but were also hoping our drinks would eventually arrive. I had the feeling she was concerned about our waiter also, as she took our appetizer order and said she would check on our drinks. After that our waiter finally appeared with our cocktails, and also took our dinner order. My wife asked if the Parducci Chard was buttery or stainless, and he didn't know but said he would check with the bartender. That was the last we saw him until he came back to our table to say our food would be out shortly. My wife reminded him that she had asked about the Chard, and he said the bartender said it was buttery (which was what she wanted) so he went ahead and placed the order without coming back to discuss it. She was actually okay with that although I thought it was odd. I had to remind him that he had never taken a wine order from me. He did manage to get both glasses out about the same time that our meals came.
Regarding the food. I ordered lamb shank on polenta which came with spring vegetables in a mint glaze. The lamb was well prepared, falling off the bone as it should be. Unfortunately, instead of making the cooking juices into a reduction, as is usually done with this dish, it was just served with the juices, losing some of the richness that really makes lamb shank delicious. The menu said creamy polenta, but it was more gummy than creamy. The vegetables in the mint glaze were probably good, but they served them in the bowl with the lamb shank and polenta, and the juice from the lamb completely overwhelmed the delicate mint. This meal needed to either have been served on a flat plate, or the vegetables needed to have been on a separate small plate. Too bad, really, because in so many ways it was close to being a wonderful meal that really missed for a number of easily correctable oversights. My wife ordered chicken Cesar salad that came well presented with whole romaine leaves criss-crossed on the plate, drizzled with dressing and a reasonable number of chicken slices and shaved Grana. However, she said the Cesar dressing lacked presence, which was her kind way of saying it didn't have much flavor. Definitely needed garlic, and my wife added salt. A dressing that is made with anchovy paste should not need any extra salt added at the table!
This was not an inexpensive meal by any means, and definitely over-priced for the quality. But the terrible service really made it a disappointing evening. I doubt we'll go back.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very good food, service is hit and miss., Love the bar and desserts. Portions could be bigger for the price. Taco Tuesday is fun.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We are from the San Francisco Bay Area, so didn't expect to have such amazing food in Ukiah! The restaurant is decorated with art and wood tables (where you can see the grain). There is a full bar and the cocktails were good - I had the Ukiah Girl, (pomegranate/vodka). The salads were big and the produce was super fresh - I had the beet salad which had mixed greens and a generous portion of roasted beets. For entree, I had Gilligan's Flank, a teriyaki flank steak with gorgonzola served over fries. The gravy on the fries was really good. Dress code is casual, since its Ukiah. Service was good and attentive. Highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank divekaren
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We arrived about 7:00 pm for their Tuesday night tacos. The guy that greeted us with a smile showed us to a table and then after I sat down he snapped my cloth napkin and placed it onto my lap. ;-) My husband ordered 3 different tacos, grilled cod fish, chicken, and beef. I ordered the special beet raviolis and beet salad. The beet salad was good. I think they could tweak the salad alittle to make it better... Maybe a citrus dressing and sugar glazed walnuts instead of plain walnuts and maybe a few more walnuts could be added as well. I did not like the 3 raviolis. They just didn't taste very good in the brown butter sauce. The waitress switched the ravioli for a fish taco. All of the different tacos were delicious. The service was very good. We would definitely eat here again

2  Thank TCWatson
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We were on a 4-day road trip from Seattle to San Fran, stumbled upon Ukiah and was recommended Patrona by one of the first locals we met. Lovely food that was obviously prepared with the best ingredients and skill. Excellent service. We agreed that we had experienced one of the best meals of our holiday.

1  Thank GBSWBrisbane