“DELIGHTFUL”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
“DELIGHTFUL”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a very special restaurant.

We stopped in here for lunch and had the Pork Ribs Tikka (#49), pork ribs marinated in spices & roasted in a clay oven, Naan (#55), & Tandoori Chicken with Bone (#45), a 1/2 chicken also marinated in spices & roasted in a clay oven. Unusually, this 1/2 chicken was comprised of three (3!) legs & thighs appended thereto. No complaints as we like legs & dark meat, but it makes for a strange 1/2 chicken!

We also had Nepalese chai, which is a tea with milk and quite delicious.

While both of our meals were nicely spiced, they were very dry, which substantially detracted from their taste & appeal.

The owner was quite pleasant & accommodating and we left liking this place.

• Visited May 2013

Marysville, CA
“My highlight for the week”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My phone got fully charged (it was almost dead when I got there) while I was at the Himalayan Cafe (not to say I was there a while - two and a half hours). I really enjoyed the experience. I had a lamb tikka dish and garlic naan (flat bread that should have garlic coming put of my pores the next day) and iced tea. The tea was slow in coming as the owner made it fresh. Oh yeah, they also brought me a bowl of lentil soup that was delicious. This place is not one you go to if you are in a hurry. I think it took an hour before I got my food (half hour for the soup).

After the first 15 minutes we got live entertainment in the name of Paula Samonte and, I forgot his name, on the organ. Think lounge music - very good. She sang The Look of Love that made me think of my stay in Berkeley back in 1967. There were only a handful of people in this place at least one of whom was also a musician and most knew each other. I was almost done eating when two women and a man came in. They sat behind me so I wasn't really paying attention.The man disappeared for a while right after they came in. I turned around and saw the restaurant owner at their table and a couple of bottles of wine on the table and then another (two whites and a red). At first I thought they had ordered them, then I thought I heard the one lady say something about owning the winery. I heard her saying something about sharing the wine with some of the others they apparently knew. Turns out they own the Simaine Cellars winery and have a tasting room down the road. Mother, daughter and son-in-law. Another red got opened and glasses started being passed out. Pretty soon I was the only one without! Not for long. The owner asked the guy (the winemaker) about giving me a glass. He hadn't seen me because I was sitting behind him. I got a glass of their 2009 Sangiovese that had just taken a gold at the SF Chronicle competition in SF. Needless to say, it was kinda tasty. The whites were their Sauvignon Blanc that received Bronze and the other red was a merlot.
Two of the guys I was training went there the next night and they were closed! I guess I hit it on the right night.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Chowhound59
“overpriced below average food served in a friendly way.”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

my wife and i went here for dinner and ordered four nans, one half tandoori chicken and an aloo gobi curry. the total cost excluding tips was 45 dollars. we felt like we got ripped off. the food was oily and below average in taste. will not go here again.

2 Thank najoy
Ukiah
“Food so over spicy you can't tast it.”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was there with a large party everyone was served but My food for some inexplicit reason came in to go boxes on top of which it was not what I had ordered -It happened at this place before I payed for shrimp and found potatoes when I got home. the service was poor and the owner is arrogant and argumentative.

• Visited November 2010
2 Thank William A
Atlanta, GA
“Nepal in Ukiah”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My wife found this restaurant on the web, while planning our coastal vacation. Who would think you'd be in Ukiah and get great Himalayan food. We arrived right at the close of Lunch time, but the owner gladly took us in. He explained that his help had not shown up, but that he would cook for us.
After being seated we noticed that there's a small stage, and he explained he does music most weekends, and once a month gives talks about Nepal. The interior is a jumble to stuff, reminding us of several other ethnic restaurants we frequent.
We had a chicken and lamb dish that was excellent and ample for sharing. We discussed how hot it should be, and he advised us that his spice standards would far exceed ours, he was right.
In the end we had Lunch together, talking about where we each were from, as well as our Ukiah experiences. If we lived in the Ukiah area this would be a favorite place.

• Visited April 2011