“Food so over spicy you can't tast it.”
Review of Himalayan Cafe

Himalayan Cafe
Ranked #43 of 99 Restaurants in Ukiah
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was there with a large party everyone was served but My food for some inexplicit reason came in to go boxes on top of which it was not what I had ordered -It happened at this place before I payed for shrimp and found potatoes when I got home. the service was poor and the owner is arrogant and argumentative.

2  Thank William A

Reviewed April 14, 2011

My wife found this restaurant on the web, while planning our coastal vacation. Who would think you'd be in Ukiah and get great Himalayan food. We arrived right at the close of Lunch time, but the owner gladly took us in. He explained that his help had not shown up, but that he would cook for us.
After being seated we noticed that there's a small stage, and he explained he does music most weekends, and once a month gives talks about Nepal. The interior is a jumble to stuff, reminding us of several other ethnic restaurants we frequent.
We had a chicken and lamb dish that was excellent and ample for sharing. We discussed how hot it should be, and he advised us that his spice standards would far exceed ours, he was right.
In the end we had Lunch together, talking about where we each were from, as well as our Ukiah experiences. If we lived in the Ukiah area this would be a favorite place.

2  Thank JKoz
Reviewed December 24, 2010

My wife and I really liked the food, however, the owner- I think he was a nice guy- charged us 5 dollars for rice that never made it to the table. We were the only customers in the place so I'm not sure what to think. He removed the charge when I questioned him about it. Also, he brought out a piece of "artwork" , set it on our table and said, " look at this", apparently hoping we'd buy it? All in all, I'm not sure I'd go back; I felt like there was an attempt to glean extra $ from tourists (we drove an hour north to get away for a few days vacation). I appreciate that everybody needs to make a buck, but this just felt weird. Seemed like a nice guy so maybe it's a cultural thing I don't understand. Good food, low key setting. I recommend based on food quality only

2  Thank tomarsha
Reviewed November 27, 2010

The food was interesting and pretty good (similar to Indian). Prices seemed high for what you got. Service was not great. Atmosphere was OK. The place was packed and everyone else seemed to be having a great time, though.

1  Thank ModEater
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The owner served us; he was attentive, friendly, open and gracious - authentic Nepalese hospitality at its best. The dining room is funky, reminding us a bit of bazaars in Nepal. The food was quite good; the dish names often similar to Indian restaurants, but slightly different in seasoning and texture. I have trouble getting food spicy enough - not a problem here. While the meal was a bit pricey, the servings were very generous. Too bad we were on the road and couldn't use the leftovers, but the owner can sometimes route them to the homeless. If you are looking for an unusual, unpretentious and friendly meal, we highly recommend Himalayan Cafe.

2  Thank DaveAndKarenR