“Not Good”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
santa rosa,ca
“Not Good”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

First the beer: sudsy tasteless not good. Organic apparently but who cares. metallic aftertaste. poorly brewed. The food. Just awful. Caesar is the worst I have ever eaten. The fries are greasy. The portions thankfully are small. Not a good place.

• Visited December 2013

Willits, California
“Used to be great, now it's just the place that's open on Sunday.”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We've been going to the Ukiah Brewing Company for years, in fact my husband bought the first growler of Emancipator, a UBC favorite. However, since the new ownership the place has really slipped. The brews are not as good, really lacking any depth or body. They have changed the menu and while it is still organic there is no longer the great dinner entrees they used to have. They now rely heavily on the fried pub food fare, pizza, burgers, fish & chips, etc. The portions have gotten smaller and when I ordered a Caesar salad last night I got a $9.00 (small) plate of romaine lettuce and some croutons. They didn't even have anchovies and if there was Parmesan it was hiding. Worst Caesar Salad ever. Caesar Salad shouldn't be boring but this one certainly was. I of course ate it all because after all it was really small. On an upside, the waitstaff was very prompt, courteous and friendly. So if you would like a mediocre meal with mediocre beer but really good service, then Ukiah Brewing Company is the place.

• Visited February 2014
San Francisco, United States
“Bummer, hopes were high! Service and food lacking.”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were driving to the Bay Area from Fort Bragg, checked Yelp for lunch ideas and stopped in for lunch at the Ukiah Brewing Company. Whoops, that was a mistake! The lady who greeted and seated up was very pleasant. She even brought us some water. Little did I know this would be the highlight of our service experience.

Then our server came and things went downhill. My wife ordered a bowl of soup and the server asked "a bowl or a cup?' This exchanged was repeated no less than three times. It was not noisy and my wife does not mumble. She ordered a Beet salad and was never asked what dressing choice so she figured it only came one way. Then my wife asked for a diet soda which was repeated by the server. So you figure that would have sunk in. I ordered a salad and needed to repeat my order twice as well. The server seemed hurried and kept talking over us both.

The soup was a coconut and sweet potato and it was GREAT! However, it came in a cup NOT a bowl. Oh well, the rest of the order was apparently received clearly and was certainly simple enough what does it matter? Then came my wife's soda which was not diet as was requested and repeated. (We later saw on the receipt that the soup was listed as a cup and the soda was not listed as diet.)

There were at least two other servers in the restaurant and only three other tables of customers. After almost 30 minutes our food arrived.

Famished, we both jumped in. I found the chicken on my chicken caesar salad was dry, cold and flavorless. The caesar dressing was very heavy on garlic and drenched on the salad. My wife had the beet salad which came dry. If there was any dressing, it lacked moisture and flavor.

The server came back and saw my half finished salad and my wife's salad with two small bites gone and asked, "do you want a box?" I resisted the temptation to be a smart aleck. We declined. I was amazed that her only comment was that and no inquiry as to whether we liked the food or not.

I did not try their beer but I suppose that is what they do best. It certainly was not service or preparation.

• Visited January 2014
Rockford, IL
“Good Beer, Food OK”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Great local brews in an older downtown historic building directly across street from the county courthouse. Bar type food with good selection of items besides burgers. Place closes early (9 p.m.) on a Tues night. Service was good, very attentive. Also, good desserts, nice surprise!

• Visited December 2013
Decatur, Georgia
“Great spot in Ukiah for quick meal & great beer”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Located in 'downtown' Ukiah, with plenty of street parking available on a weeknight, I stopped here based on the Travelodge motel clerk's recommendation. Had been hiking that afternoon in a nearby state park/forest. This cafe appears to have been a department store or some other type of business at one time; nice use of an older building. Comfortable space, with big windows at front. Prompt, friendly service. Had soup of the day (tasted homemade), salad and one of their beers. Excellent and didn't feel pressured to buy a 2nd beer. Would definitely stop there again when passing through Ukiah.

• Visited October 2013