“Low lake level”
Review of Lake Mendocino

Lake Mendocino
Ranked #6 of 44 things to do in Ukiah
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake Mendocino is located in the northern coast range of California where redwood forests meet the wine country. Created by the construction of Coyote Dam on the East Fork of the Russian River in 1958. The dam, built and maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers provides flood damage reduction, water conservation, and hydroelectric power. The lake also provides many recreation opportunities.
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Took my son walking on the dam for the first time. I forgot how beautiful it could be. Great view to the west of the valley. The lake was pretty low but I've seen it lower. The hatchery was empty due to it being late in the season. Overall a great walk for the both of us. Maybe next time we'll bring the dog.

All reviews
in 17 reviews
"picnic"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very calm and relaxing place to go camping. It was my first time camping and it was a great experience. I went In August and the weather was nice and hot in the afternoon and it did get a bit chilly at night though. I recommend packing a bit of everything if staying over night. The lake was just down the road from our camp site and its just great place to take the boat or take a swim.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

There is island and dam over the lake, for running, fishing, swimming. I went their early morning for a run, very nice place.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed one night at this lake campground on our way through Ukiah. The lake is beautiful although we did not put our feet in it. Bu-Shay Campground is not really lakeside, but more elevated within a short hike. We could hear watercraft, but could not see them. Some campers towed boats through the campground but had to launch from the other side of the lake, not from Bu-Shay.

It was pleasant staying in site #19 of the campground on a warm July evening. The site was a fairly-level back in site long enough that we did not need to disconnect our trailer from our long bed pickup truck. We were blessed with a magnificent starry sky and observed 15 satellites in one hour. Wow!

There were a few noisy campers in the campground. Why do little girls always scream?

Bu-Shay has showers and flush toilets. I was able to wash and blow dry my hair in the morning before we left. WooHoo! A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!

My only reservation is to beware of the abundance of poison oak around the campground and other areas around the lake. There is a lot amongst the campsite foliage. Tell Rover, too.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We camped for two nights and we already love the place. The lake was a little warm since it is summer and it is perfect for my kids to splash around the water. The scenery was beautiful and the trail was absolutely well taking cared. We are so surprised that they have a Disc Golf Course which my son loves to play for the first time. The camping site was great, you can put up at least 3 regular size tents and will allow you to park two cars beside your camp site. Just don't like the idea of not having park rangers during the night and we heard that burglars are stepping in. Their showers and toilets are separated and it is clean and spacious inside. We are happy campers and my family will come back here again maybe for just hanging around by the lake or playing Disc Golf and Hiking. Overall it is a cool experienced for my kids.