“Great location for walkers!”
Review of Lake Mendocino

Lake Mendocino
Ranked #6 of 45 things to do in Ukiah
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake Mendocino is located in the northern coast range of California where redwood forests meet the wine country. Created by the construction of Coyote Dam on the East Fork of the Russian River in 1958. The dam, built and maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers provides flood damage reduction, water conservation, and hydroelectric power. The lake also provides many recreation opportunities.
Ukiah, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great location for walkers!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beautiful location with a lot of options for walkers! Scenic lake view; plenty of parking. Boaters galore. Enjoyed the sunshine. Friendly people.

Visited May 2013

Fortuna, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place to sail my Hobie Adventure Island Tandem kayka”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Camped at the Lake overnight over 25 years ago when the kids were young. My wife and I have been driving by the Lake on Highway 20 on our way to the Valley for the past 20 years but have not stopped until this April (2013). I brought and sailed my Hobie Adventure Island tandem for about 6 hours even in the light winds on a Sunday. It was a nice day with a scattering of fishing vessels and few water skiers on the water. It was a enjoyable sailing day. This was my first outing in the boat in fresh water (much warmer water then the Pacific ocean which I am accustomed) and it was very enjoyable. I explored the entire lake and next time I will bring my fishing poles. No sharks, seals or whales were sighted, but people were catching nice trout.

Visited April 2013
Moravia, Iowa
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Not quite an Iowa lake”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Coming from Iowa we thought there would be great recreation here and places to swim etc. Well, to our dismay the lake doesn't really have a 'beach'. It was more like rocks and wood debris. The water was beginning to get lower too; expected. Everyone was out since it was hot, lots of boats tied up. Just not what we expected. Would be more enjoyable at any lake around this area ON a boat.

Visited June 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful water”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I loved the location and the road to get there. Is was so peaceful for our group prayer group. We all had a great time. The water looked beautiful but because of the weather we were unable to actualy swim in it.

Visited November 2012
California, USA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A nice little lake”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We visited Lake Mendocino while on a return visit to the Ukiah area for an anniversary celebration. The facilities at the lake have been greatly improved since I last visited. It was nice to see that this lake still had a lot of water in it after a low rainfall year. I well recall seeing nothing but the old river bed after the drought of 1977-78. There wasn't a lot of activity on the lake but I have fond memories of water skiing there. You could camp at a lot worse places...

Visited September 2012