“Best caps this side of Rome”

Black Oak Coffee Roasters
Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Ukiah
Cuisines: American
Description: From our award-winning single origins to our crowd-pleasing blends, customers look to Black Oak for high quality coffees and a welcoming community -- in the cafe or online. Born & raised in Mendocino County, we started Black Oak to ensure our community had a common gathering place where they can enjoy good coffee and good conversations. As we've grown, we want to hold onto the sense of community that started it all. Throughout the Bay Area and Northern California, we're showing that what makes Black Oak coffee so great is staying true to our roots. For us, that means treating our coffee the right way, and treating people even better. It means using our passion to inspire yours, even if that involves some cream and sugar.
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I'm a cappuccino junkie. Been hooked on them for over 40 years; have my own Pavoni expresso machines and whip up a pretty good one if I do say so myself. Before the ubiquity of Starbuck's, I'd do road trips with my Pavoni machine safely stowed in the trunk, until (decades later) Starbucks' crazy idea was realized and there is one on every corner. Only trouble is, they can't make a decent cappuccino. Ever. I like to go out for a coffee; it's social and fun. So imagine my surprise when, in autumn of 2013, the best coffee house this side of Italy opened a few miles down the road from my house. It's Black Oak Coffee Roasters. These folks have done it right: technical mastery, perfectionist staff training and performance, on-site roasting, purchasing expertise, environmental awareness, and homey local atmosphere. I can't count the coffee houses I've visited the world over, from a Communist meeting house in Buonconvento, Italy, to the Cafe de Flore in Paris. Black Oak's coffee is in the world-class category. The owners, John and Keith, have created a welcoming atmosphere that has become a major meeting place in Mendocino County, with a great cross-section of people. There is food for breakfast, lunch, or snacks, which is pretty good but not my focus. I now buy their roasted coffee beans exclusively. Locals love the honey or lavender latte---not my style, but very aromatic. Try it!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Yes, this is the BEST coffee place in town and the presentation of the drinks is beautiful. They roast their coffee beans in a 1954 German made coffee roaster right on the premises so the coffee is very fresh. The service is excellent and the staff is so friendly that they made us feel right at home. They also have a very nice variety of pastries. Seating available inside or outside. We are going back in the morning before we leave, and are definitely going back to this place when staying or passing through Ukiah.

1  Thank JAMES A
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A place not to miss when passing through town. Strong delicious coffee. Very good teas. Pastries yummy. Specialty drinks. Best honey in town too.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Try their new breakfasts. We had eggs with kale and mushroom. It was wonderful. They offer Roland's Bakery Bialys and chocolate almond croissants.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I hate all coffee, but I love the atmosphere of coffee shops, so I always used to go to starbucks. But this place is super close to where my best friend lives, so we went to Black Oak on a Saturday afternoon, soon after they opened, and their iced chai was fabulous! I go here all the time now. They offer free water in a jug on the counter that is perfect for hot days. Now that it's getting chilly I cannot wait until to drink a hot chai!