“Good food but the owners is in a bit of trouble”

Ruen Tong Thai Cuisine
Ranked #23 of 99 Restaurants in Ukiah
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I have always loved to go here but twice now I have read in the paper that the owner for Ruen Tong and Walter Cafe (same person) is being fined for stealing tips from the workers and giving the workers room and board in exchange for a paycheck...so we will not be eating here again for a while.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Passing through Ukiah, Ca., we found this Thai restaurant via GPS! It was like a shot in the dark for us, and we were rewarded with this jewel of a find! The Ambience was our first impression, like a Buddhist shrine in a small garden just outside the restaurant! The Thai cuisine is just very impressive, the soups were delicious and (the variety )of main dishes so scrumptious, the palate is indeed very satisfied. The Thai tea was excellent, The dessert, fried banana with ice cream was also excellent. Very clean and elegant, very well appointed inside ambience! The service is above expectations, the wait staff very attentive. We will definitely be making sure that we will make sure to stop by there on the next trip to this region! It seems that most of restaurants in this region/area closes early(8:30 or 9 o'clock pm)

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I live in Thailand but grew up in Ukiah. Since I moved across the water I have learned that most Thai restaurants (there are a few exceptions) outside of Thailand do not serve Thai food. Ruen Tong has to be the worst. I ordered four different dishes to take away. The restaurant is attractive so I expected a high standard for their food. Much to my surprise, I could not tell which dish was which. They all looked and tasted almost the same and were all full of carrots. Carrots! I have never seen carrots in any Thai food in Thailand except occasionally in a salad. Their prices are pretty steep. I would have been better off going to Taco Bell.

1  Thank PickyInParadise
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to stop for a late lunch on the way home today to the SF Bay Area. Using TripAdvisor, we selected this restaurant as most reviews were quite good. We agree - this was a gem!

The restaurant, on the old highway (now State Street), is located in an old house that is impeccably adorned with Thai artifacts. The restaurant, small and cozy, is immaculately well-maintained. The menu has MANY selections.

For lunch, my husband enjoyed a pumpkin curry and I enjoyed a beef and fresh green bean dish. Both lunches were accompanied by a tastey vegetable soup, rice, and a small cabbage salad. We were impressed with the variety, the speed of service, the cleanliness, and the exquisite flavors - all for $21.60 w/o tip.

Glad we stopped!!!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by hotel staff & a friendly bartender. It is quite plain however that the staff have never been anywhere remotely near Thailand, which is a shame, as they are probably completely ignorant of the service & quality of food one would normally expect in Thailand. Our appetisers consisted of Bangkok Rolls & a Pork Rib dish from the Chef's Specials section of the menu. The Rolls consisted of a thin stuffed flattened & deep fried spring roll with an indeterminate filling which was acceptable, but nothing like as described on the menu. The ribs were fine, but hadn't been cooked for long enough so were fairly fatty & chewy. We then moved on to a Tom Yam (a soup which is traditionally quite hot). This consisted of big chunks of tomato, raw onion slices, carrot, fish sauce, lots of straw mushrooms & the rather obvious presence of a stock cube. There were a few bits of chicken too. However, no sign of the spices, lemon grass, chillies, lime leaves etc that normally go into such a dish.

The main courses were similarly disastrous, with a beef Pad Thai appearing to be bits of bland beef slices that had been welded to the flat noodles with a flour & water mixture that was then allowed to go cold before being put on a plate with the accompanying vegetables which once again included the same onions & carrots as in the soup, with a few bits of broccoli added. A chicken & cashew dish was also served at a similar temperature which made it equally as unappetising. The one dish that was acceptable was a rather mediocre red beef curry, which was served in a bowl at a reasonable temperature, but was sadly lacking in any other type of heat. This difference in temperature prompted us to send the other dishes back to be reheated, while we just worked our way through the beef curry & white rice. The waiter serving us was completely unapologetic about the whole thing - he just took the dishes away & brought them back after a while, without any comment whatsoever.

All in all, a bad meal out & a waste of $80. The money would have been better spent at one of the many fast food chains spread across the US - at least the food & the service would have been warmer.

2  Thank Duncan R