“What a gem!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lancaster, CA
“What a gem!”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My son and I just stayed at this motel for 1 night as we were travelling to Northern California. Our stop was just on the "Off chance" as we saw the motel from the 101 freeway.

What a great find! You'll see from the pictures I took the motel owner's pride of ownership is shinning through and the guests are the winners! The owner is very friendly and more than helpful.

The room was clean, fresh and we slept soundly with comfortable beds and zero street noise. In the morning, the continental breakfast was far above anything normally served - it included make-your-own waffles that kept us going well until mid-afternoon. The coffee was awesome (if you are a coffee addict like me!)

This motel has own many awards for also being among the first and leading the way in many "green" initiatives, there is even an electric vehicle charging parking spot out front.

All in all, should I even be passing through this way again, this is certainly the place I'll be staying.

It's been said many times "A picture is worth a thousand words" so please judge for yourselves...I wish I had thought to take a picture of the flat screen TV & nice built-in cabinetry that hid the fridge (sorry it was late when we checked in and we'd been on the road all day...).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I frequently travel Highway 101 through Northern California and have now stayed at the Super 8 Ukiah 11 out of 12 times in the past 12 months. Of the hotels in Ukiah, I would have to say the best hotel, by far, is the Super 8. The hotel is consistently clean, the rooms are well-maintained, the high-speed Internet access is, in fact, high-speed, the continental breakfast is filling with organic coffee. The General Manager and the staff are in tune with guest needs. The property is family-oriented with a well-lit, clean pool and 4 family restaurants within a 1/2 mile, of which most give a discount when you show your room key. While it is situated right off the Gobbi exit from the freeway, the sounds from the road do not invade the rooms.
Each room I have stayed in has a comfortable desk and chair, a couch big enough for 3 adults to sit comfortably and the usual line-up of local, cable and premium television content, including HBO.
The cost of the room night is comparable to other area hotels, but when I have stayed at the other national-brand hotel in the area, I was unimpressed. Super 8 provides a consistent, quiet place to sleep with local entertainment and meal options for the solo traveler or the family on the road.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed March 5, 2012

While touring northern California, I came across an amazing value. The room was modern and well kept. King bed, couch, coffee table, fridge, microwave, desk, excellent high speed internet, pool area. The only small drawback was a tube TV, but I don't watch tv, so I didn't care. Free electricity for your electric car! Super nice owners. Right off freeway, but I didn't notice any noise at night, so it's handy and quiet.

Nice town, close to everything. 45 minutes to ocean fun. 2 hours to San Francisco. Redwoods everywhere. Friendly locals.

I've stayed in 140 hotels this year, and this was the best value, by far. I usually pay almost double for what they provide.

Room Tip: Main building is probably quieter because it's further away from freeway.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 21, 2012

From the front desk to the comfortable room, everything was fantastic! The owner obviously loves what he does and has a great deal of pride in this establishment. I was passing thru on my way to see the Redwoods and was very happy to have found this little gem! I loved it so much I came back on the last night of my trip knowing I'd be treated well. My only complaint would be that the laundry facilities were a little pricey.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Sacramento
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Sorry for the late review. We stayed here at the Super 8 last month in the King bed, ground level, non-smoking room. When you walk in the room it looks great.
Cons:
1. The room was just cleaned when we arrived but the room had a smell of urine near the window/ seating area.
2. The King bed squeaks horribly on the right side as you get in.
3. The televisions are the old big back styled televisions, ours was a greenish hue, I think it may be going out because I tried to fix the coloration in the menus option and it did not work.
4. This was a non smoking room but in the bathroom at night when you turn on the light switch the fan automatically comes on. At this point the bathroom smelled of cigarette smoke, probably coming from upstairs area.
5. This room we were in was directly underneath a stair way. There were kids running up and down the stairs which was not pleasant.
6. This room was right in front of the pool area so I really dont think you would want to be in room 120 in the summer time if you are looking for something quiet. Also it is near the highway end of the hotel.
7. The bathroom is very small with just the tub and the toilet. There is a vanity area OUTSIDE of the bathroom where your company can watch you wash up after using the rest room or shower, so if you are a privacy freak like me I would advise other wise.
8. I asked for a later check out and they would not at all try to work with me. We have no car and were waiting for the bus, so even though houskeeping could have cleaned other rooms ahead of ours to give us even the slightest bit of extra time, it did not happen.

The woman at the desk was great. The gentle man at the desk the next day was not so pleasant.

I mean its a good room for the rate of $55 a night. That is why I did not mention to the desk these issues. Plus at the moment what could they do about it but move us which would have been an inconvinence for us. i would stay again if I was low on funds but I would not have taken my grandmother to this hotel....

Room Tip: 120 is near highway and the pool area, under stair case. Very Noisy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I drove down here from Eureka, California February 9th, 2012 to scope out this town to see if I wanted to move here. This hotel is squeaky clean and very relaxing. The beds were really fancy and extremely cushy. It felt like I was sleeping on a cloud! It's too bad that I staid here only for a night. It was really fun. The staff here was really friendly and welcoming to me, which was really refreshing to see especially after arriving from getting a ticket from a CHP (wasn't feeling very cheerful). Continental breakfast was nice and simple, the coffee was fresh and very tasty (Rain Forest Certified!), and all of the utensils and plate ware were Eco-friendly. They're a certified green hotel! The owners are very kind where you can have a nice long chat with them. My only issue was that the hot tub and pool wasn't heated and it was outside. You guys are doing an amazing job. Keep it up!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends