“Way over priced!”

Discovery Inn Ukiah, CA
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Ukiah
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I was getting desparate for a place to stop for the night. Staff seemed annoyed that I was there ...paying them money, ridiculous. Room was huge. Not very clean, I never took off my shoes! I even wore flip flops in the shower! Thats the kind of feeling I got from this place! There were a ton of people that were apparently long term customers. Very creepy people, watching you get out of your car, etc. I was woken up at 3 AM by a group of these people, drunk and having some kind of domestic dispute. Will NEVER stay here, and hopefully never have to go to Ukiah...dirty, scary town!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Awaywego1999

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Between Willits and Ukiah there are two billboards advertising The Discovery Inn Best Western. That's what you see at 60 mph! At the second billboard, I kept saying "Gobbi St." and my husband said, "No, It's State St. exit." Well, it was after midnight and we were exhausted. So we didn't sort out the mixup. Besides, the next thing we saw was the huge lit up Discovery Inn sign. We were checking in and the first thing I did was hand the young man my Best Western rewards card. He didn't say anything! But the minute we got to the room, we knew we weren't at a Best Western Plus.Only 3 pillows, not the requisite 4 for Plus status and questionable decor (a clean but 1970s style couch??), plus bird feathers under the couch ( hubby pulled it out from the wall to reach a plug in)! Online rate is listed as $79 and we were charged $127 plus tax. The next a.m. my husband confronted the staff about the deception and the overcharge. They agreed to credit us $30 (still $30 more than online posted rate) and they tried to brush off the Best Western deception. I'm assuming the hotel owner owns both places. IF the man at the front desk had said, "Lady, this isn't a BW. We don't give BW reward points, it's the hotel down the street," I wouldn't be upset. IF the morning staff had owned up to the misleading billboard instead of trying to make us think we were imagining what we saw, I wouldn't be upset. But we retraced our route and I have a photo of one of the billboards. I've never known two competing hotels to advertise on the same billboard, have you?! The Discovery Inn is even painted in the blue and gray colors associated with BW.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trishia J
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I wouldnt stay there again. My room had dog fecies on the wall, bed was old and with stains, carpet was disgusting, found food under the bed but yet my parents had to pay extra for trained puppies. I feel with the extra money they charge for animals the rooms should be extra cleaner. The pool could have been cleaner and out of 4 spa's only 1 worked there geyser didnt work they had no ponds like the brocher protrayed.

Room Tip: Dont stay there
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DBuono
Reviewed September 1, 2012

first of all look at some of the pictures of the people that rated this motel great......2ed there was blood all over the wall in my room(didnt notice until check out)3ed the young that use this place for drug dealing are abundant...4th the girl was so slow to check me in....asking qustions that were none of her business.....5th i had some open my door AT 4 AM IN THE MORNING WITH A KEY and just stood there and checked us out until i said W.T.F...............the spa was nasty there were young kids with diapiers on .(one had a diaper that was sagging not from being wet)

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.................................................................................
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 749traveler
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Discovery Inn at Ukiah recently. My coworkers and I have stayed there many times in the past, but we will be staying elsewhere from now on. On other visits, I have not been terribly impressed with the rooms or service. On a previous trip, there was a dog barking all night in the room next to mine. However, on my most recent trip, there were bed bugs in my room. I saw two on the bed, and found more evidence of them when I pulled back the bedding. Several bites appeared within a few days. I wish I had checked for them before I slept in the bed, because it's just disgusting. I reported the bed bugs when I checked out. The manager was not in, but the staff said he would call me. I have called several times since I stayed there, but the manager is never available to speak with me and does not return my calls. I informed my boss about the bed bugs and he made arrangements for me and my coworkers to stay at a different motel when we have to lay over in Ukiah. I actually threw away almost everything I had with me at the Discovery Inn in Ukiah, and so far it seems I didn't bring them into my home, but it could have turned out differently and my family could be facing a traumatic and costly bed bug infestation. I highly discourage anyone from staying here until they verify the motel has undergone the necessary action to rid their rooms of bed bugs.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank NoBedBugs28
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Discovery Inn four or five times over the last ten years. It seems that each time we stay there the motel is a little more run down. I can tell you that we will not be staying there again. On our most recent stay we found a quarter-inch on dirt on the light above the sink. We are not the only ones to notice, as others had reached up to touch it and left finger marks. The light in the bathroom never stopped flickering. The ironing board was completely broken, so that I had to balance it on a chair and bend over to use it. There was no OJ for breakfast because the machine was broken.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JMEditor
Reviewed July 30, 2012

When I checked in, the girl said that she can only give me one day, I told her that my confirmation said that I was confirmed for two days, then she said that she can only give me quenn bed, again I said my confirmation said that I was confirmde for King bed. Then she gave me a room way in the back and when I looked around, it seems to me that the other people are semi permanent and I saw some junk car parked there, also saw some homeless people that were begging. So I went back to the front counter and asked her to give me another room, while I was there, there was another guy asking her to be moved also otherwise he was going to get another hotel. This girl told me that she can't find me another King bed room, but she can give me a queen room. After calling higher up, they finally give me another King room, very dirty and stinky. Bad experience, I would not stay there again. The good things are the breakfast room server is very nice and friendly, also the counter girl in the morning is nice and freindly but the night counter is bad.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business