“Nice hotel, but beware of hot tub”

Best Western Orchard Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Ukiah
oregon
“Nice hotel, but beware of hot tub”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are well appointed and clean. The hotel lobby had fresh cookies and coffee out when we arrived. The staff was extremely helpful with all of our requests. We were traveling with another family and the man helping us check in gave them the discounted rate we had reserved with also, in addition to finding rooms close together and on the first floor.
Sleep quality was good. I didn't hear any noise from neighbors or outside. Beds were firm, but not hard. Breakfast included cereal, waffles, bagels, strudels, sausage & hash-browns, coffee, milk & juices.
My one complaint was that my daughters (5 & 10) swam in the pool and been in the hot tub in the evening, and it crossed my mind that there wasn't any smell of chlorine in the water. That was Saturday and on Monday my daughters had a rash across their backs. The physician said it was "hot tub foliculitis", from being exposed to a bacteria most people get from improperly sanitized hot tubs or pools. This was the only place they had gone swimming that week.
Overall, I would gladly stay there again, but I would check the pool chems first, or not go swimming at all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lomita, California
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Thanks to Al and his brother Mike, our stay could'nt have been better. We were there for a tournament and had a great time. Would definitely stay with them again. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. Coffee was always ready and the waffles were awesome. If you asked for something the staff was so nice to bring it as quick as possible. Thanks again for a great stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2010

THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE SERVICE EVEN WORST FROZEN sausage TASTE LES JUICE NEWER AGAIN I'M GOING TO THIS PLAYS

• Stayed August 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Friendly staff, beautiful clean room. We we finishing up a 4,000 mile motorcyle trip to Canada and this hotel was one of our stops on the way home. They parked the Harley's where they could be watched, gave us the cleaning towels to (try) and clean 4,000 miles of bugs off, got a cool ride pin and all in all took excellent care of us. Gave us the name of a great pizza place that delivered to the hotel and we relaxed and ate at the pool. Would recommend this Best Western to all travelers especially motorcyclists.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Layton Utah
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Not only is this the nicest hotel in Ukiah, but its location is the most convenient. We enjoy staying here, in this super-clean AND pet-friendly hotel! Because we have family in Ukiah, we'll be back.

Management has been very responsive to comments made, which is a first for us. We appreciate them listening to our input on the pet fees (which at $25 per night, seem high to us in comparison to other hotels - which usually charge "per stay" or cap the fees after the first two nights).

NOTE: this is a revision to our previous comment, and we are VERY happy with the personal reply we received. THANk YOU!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Lately I've been staying at higher end hotels, so a bit jaded. But this motel has changed my mind about motels. It was nice! Minus the fancy lobby, it has many of the traits I like in a hotel... Big bed, really clean, tv with lots of stations, nice pool... This is an A+ motel.

• Stayed July 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 18, 2010

If I could give this Hotel a negative star I would. We have traveled a ton of places and stayed in many Best Western Hotels. This was by far the worst experience I have ever had. When I called (while on the road) to reserve a room, "Patty" answered and rudely put me on hold. For THREE MINUTES. My phone cut out (horrible service on the 101 in Willits, etc.) so I had to call back. Again, Patty answered the phone. She answered "Best Western, Orchard Inn will you hold?" I told her I would but I needed to talk to someone ASAP since the service was limited. She then said "Oh are you the one looking for a King Bed, Non-Smoking?" I said yes and she placed me on hold and returned. We made the reservations with Patty over the phone and it was VERY CLEAR that we did not want a smoking room.

Upon arrival my Husband went to the front desk to check in and I stayed in the car with our four year old Daughter. (Which is the main reason we needed the non-smoking room as she is allergic) My Husband came our frustrated and irritated and I asked him what was wrong and he mentioned that the girl (Patty) at the front desk was very rude and left him feeling that way.

We drove around the back of the building to park for the night and unload and found that the hotel had no elevator to accommodate us in getting our luggage to the second floor. The Hotel was stifling hot, and it seemed like they were on strict orders to never run the air or circulate air as it stunk and was very stuffy.

The best part came to when we got to our room. We opened the door and were OVERCOME with the smell of smoke. Not smoke as in old dingy smoke smelling room. Smoke as in FRESH smoke, like someone cleaned the room while smoking. Immediately my Daughter covered her nose and started gagging and my Husband called Patty at the front desk. He asked if there were any other rooms and explained that the room was absolutely disgusting with the smell of smoke. She said that was the only room that she had and copped an attitude about us being upset by the smoke smell. While he was on the phone I looked at the bedspread and noticed a fresh cigarette burn in the folded over portion (decorative) at the top, the size of a quarter. The edges were still brown like it had just been burned and was obviously never washed or replaced. I took a picture of the comforter with my phone and we headed downstairs to demand a refund.

When we got downstairs Patty was on the phone, once again with a personal call and stated to the person on the other end very irritably "I've gotta call you back..." and then looked at my Husband and said "So, what are you gonna do?" and my Husband explained that the room was unfit and we would not be staying there. The entire time we were waiting she was extremely rude. I mentioned to her that there was a fresh cigarette hole on the comforter and her response was (under her breath) "Yeah, well its not my problem" I then said "Excuse me? What did you just say?" She then replied "It's not like I check the rooms or anything, I don't know what to tell you." I explained to her that I was in no way saying it was her fault but told her she may want to inform management or housekeeping so they could get the room cleaned up. That was the last of things for us at the Orchard Inn.

When we booked this hotel we booked it based on reviews found here at TripAdvisor. Obviously these people had the "A Team" when they stayed at this shady motel OR they are padded reviews by management, owners and friends of Orchard Inn. There is NO WAY that you can treat people like this and continually get great reviews. I am very disheartened not only by my brief trip to the Orchard Inn, it gives me a very bad taste on Ukiah and the people of Ukiah as well.

Being that this was a SATURDAY night in JULY, there were no rooms available at any hotels or motels until we hit GILROY, CA!!! Yet another reason that I will continue to write reviews anywhere I can to warn people about this horrible hotel and the worst front desk clerk I have ever met, Miss Patty.

Do yourselves a favor folks and don't stay here. I;m sure there are plenty of other surrounding businesses that would be grateful to take your $$.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family