“very nice hotel”
Review of Travelodge Ukiah

Travelodge Ukiah
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ukiah
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This hotel is new and both the room and the public areas are very clean. The desk staff are polite, and the friendly manager was around to make sure the guests are comfortable. The outside areas are very well lit at night. Very comfortable bed. The breakfast food is the average hotel fare. The price was a little less expensive than the Comfort Inn, where I had previously been staying. There is someone at the desk 24 hours. When we returned to the motel at the end of the day, a light was on in the room, making it comfortable and safe. I was concerned that the freeway traffic might be too noisy, but I used earplugs and left the fan on for "white noise" and slept well. My brother and I stayed a few nights to visit his daughter and family. We'll stay there again. Looking forward to using the pool in warmer weather.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Walt F

Reviewed February 15, 2011

Every February, I attend a conference in the area. I have always stayed at the Comfort Inn - which I have rated a solid 4 dots. However, over the past couple of years they have failed to meet my expectations in a couple of areas (see my review). In scouting my hotel for this year I decided to take a chance on the blind bid at hotels.com. The result was a very reasonable rate at the Holiday Inn Express. After reading some of the negative reviews, I was convinced I was going to have a negative experience.

It could have started off badly. As I pulled off the freeway and headed in to the parking lot, I noticed there was a Travelodge sign attached over the Holiday Inn sign. However, the check-in clerk assured me that it was the same owner and staff, just a name change and that my paid reservation was ready. I was given a non-smoking room (one of my fears was that the cheap rate would entitle me to a smokers room - based on previous reviewers experiences). The room was very large and very clean. Thus allaying yet another fear from other Trip Advisor reviews.

I am a very light sleeper, so I am always concerned about road noise. However, I did not notice any traffic noises emanating from the freeway. There was, however, considerable noise given off by the heater/ac unit. Enough to require me to have it off if I was attempting to sleep. Fortunately, the area was having an uncharacteristic heat wave and I was able to warm the room before sleeping and the temperature maintained fairly well.

The breakfast is the standard Costco bulk pre-manufactured items most of us have come to expect from this style of hotel/motel. The items were prepared properly and presented in an appetizing manner. I also did not have anyone's dog trying to beg table scraps from me - which was definitely a plus (see Comfort Inn review).

I would rate this hotel 3.5 if that were possible. If I can get another nice rate next year I will definitely think about staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank HBSponger
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Highly recommend it. The breakfast was much better than the one at Hampton Inn .

The Fairfield Inn was unclean I found hair on the sheets.

High recommend Holiday Inn at Ukiah

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We found are room to be quite fine...nothing special...but it was clean and well kept. The problem that we found with this hotel that it was quite a distance from the center of town. It was way on the northern limits of Ukiah. This is fine if you want to be near the freeway (which it is) but if you want to get the feel of Ukiah, its people, and its business, you've got to drive.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Partner and I stayed one night. Partner has some mobility problems--check-in person noted on our reservation and made sure we had a ground floor room close to the main office area. We needed an extra chair to hold medical equipment--arrived in less than five minutes. Rooms are standard for this chain, but everything worked well and all aspects were clean. Breakfast had good array of foods and was restocked regularly-french toast, eggs, bacon, biscuits (very good), yogurt, cereal, fruit and juices, bagels, Breakfast area is small, but when more folks showed up than could be accommodated, manager opened up the conference room, carried the folks' plates in himself, brought newspapers and did all he could to make things pleasant. Close to freeway, but we heard no road noise and no noise from adjoining rooms. Compared to what else is available in Ukiah, these folks work hard to provide a good lodging experience. They also have a coin operated laundry facility for guests.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

As previous reviews have noted this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. I thought since it was a chain hotel that service would be decent. As I arrived at the front desk, I was told that my reservation was for a smoking room. I informed the attendant that I didn't smoke. He said there was nothing he could do about it because I had booked a smoking room. I showed him my itinierary which made no difference to him. I asked if I could be switched to a non-smoking room. I was told there was no non smoking rooms available. That they were all booked. Now mind you this is Ukiah. I doubt all the rooms were booked.
So I asked if I could pay the difference for a non-smoking room and miraculouly, they had non-smoking rooms. He spoke to the manager who informed him that if I paid the difference I could have a non-smoking room. Imagine that!!!! I was upset. Seemed like a con they had all worked out. One of the worst experiences I've had in a long time.
Anyways, about the hotel, it is well worn and looks old. The breakfast was nice. The room looked like it had seen it's heyday 30 years ago. This hotel is right off the freeway so you can hear that noise all night. Sheets were stained so good thing we had brought our own.
If you're in the area stay at the Fairfield Hotel. It's newer and a lot cleaner. And it's only about 5 more bucks. The Hampton Inn is also nice but runs about 130.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
ukiahcahotels, Webmaster at Travelodge Ukiah, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday_Inn_Express_Ukiah-Ukiah_California.

I am very sorry about the inconvenience which you experienced in getting a non-smoking room. I am glad that you were finally able to be accommodated. We are looking into the matter of no non-smoking rooms available and suddenly there was one. Hopefully the answer will be a simple one, that the manager had information that the desk clerk did not.

The housekeeping staff has received extra training concerning the standards of cleanliness which we strive to maintain and which we expect of them here at the Holiday_Inn_Express_Ukiah-Ukiah_California. You should not have had to supply your own sheets in order to have clean sheets on which to sleep and on behalf of our establishment I do apologize.

I’m sorry that your stay fell on a time when the area was so noisy. Unfortunately, that isn’t something that we can control but I do wish that the timing could have been different.

Again, thank you very much for your help in reporting these problems to us so that we can take steps to eliminate them. I think you will find your next stay at the Holiday_Inn_Express_Ukiah-Ukiah_California to be a much pleasanter one.

Regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2010

My boyfriend and I came to this hotel for a little mini getaway. The most appealing thing to us was their little cove of jacuzzi's, which was the best part about the whole stay. The think that let us down was when we finally went to bed. While laying in bed I noticed that something was tickiling my legs like crazy. So We pulled the sheets back and there was TONS of little black hairs all over the sheet, with a condom wrapper on top, and at the foot of the bed, the used condom itself. It was disgusting! It let me know that they didn't even change the sheets from the last stay. So needless to say we went to the front desk, at around midnight, and no one was there. We were ok with the front desk being closed, I mean it was really late, so we ended up sleeping on top of the bedding, and using our personal towels for blankets, the floor wasn't any cleaner than the bed. The next day while checking out, we mentioned our experience with the front desk attendant and she said that we should have told her sooner because there was nothing she could do for us. When I told her that we had tried but no one was there because it was closed, she said that was impossible because the front desk is open 24 hours. I'm sorry but if the lights are off and the doors locked, with a huge closed sign, I beg to differ. All in all don't waste your money!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision in choosing the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah at which to stay. I am glad you enjoyed our little cove of jacuzzi's.

Action has been taken to see to it that the problems which you experienced have been eliminated. Our household staff has received extra training concerning the high standards of cleanliness which we expect them to maintain. Dirty bedding is certainly not acceptable and I do apologize that you were subjected to this.

Our front desk is supposed to be open twenty-four hours a day for the convenience of our guests and we are looking into why this was not the case during your stay.

I think that you will find your next stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah to be a much pleasanter one.