“Disgusting, doesn't clean the sheets even.”
Review of Travelodge Ukiah

Travelodge Ukiah
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ukiah
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My boyfriend and I came to this hotel for a little mini getaway. The most appealing thing to us was their little cove of jacuzzi's, which was the best part about the whole stay. The think that let us down was when we finally went to bed. While laying in bed I noticed that something was tickiling my legs like crazy. So We pulled the sheets back and there was TONS of little black hairs all over the sheet, with a condom wrapper on top, and at the foot of the bed, the used condom itself. It was disgusting! It let me know that they didn't even change the sheets from the last stay. So needless to say we went to the front desk, at around midnight, and no one was there. We were ok with the front desk being closed, I mean it was really late, so we ended up sleeping on top of the bedding, and using our personal towels for blankets, the floor wasn't any cleaner than the bed. The next day while checking out, we mentioned our experience with the front desk attendant and she said that we should have told her sooner because there was nothing she could do for us. When I told her that we had tried but no one was there because it was closed, she said that was impossible because the front desk is open 24 hours. I'm sorry but if the lights are off and the doors locked, with a huge closed sign, I beg to differ. All in all don't waste your money!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
ukiahcahotels, Webmaster at Travelodge Ukiah, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision in choosing the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah at which to stay. I am glad you enjoyed our little cove of jacuzzi's.

Action has been taken to see to it that the problems which you experienced have been eliminated. Our household staff has received extra training concerning the high standards of cleanliness which we expect them to maintain. Dirty bedding is certainly not acceptable and I do apologize that you were subjected to this.

Our front desk is supposed to be open twenty-four hours a day for the convenience of our guests and we are looking into why this was not the case during your stay.

I think that you will find your next stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah to be a much pleasanter one.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

This is an average, cookie-cutter Holiday Inn Express. The location is kind of good news/bad news: good news is it's very easy to find, easy off/on Highway 101. Bad news is the highway's in the hotel's backyard, so the freeway noise, particularly large trucks, is continual. The room was large and clean, all was in order. The lobby breakfast bar opened at 6:30 AM. We arrived about 7:00, along with about 6 other guests, and found practically NO food. There was no fresh fruit, 18 cartons of Key Lime Activia yogurt (not kidding), gravy and 3 biscuits, cereal (but no milk), an assortment of carb-o-licious bagels and bread, and no plates! Informed front desk and gradually it was stocked, after everyone had left. By 7:45, everything was fully stocked, but there were no guests! They need to be better prepared for hungry people at their stated opening hour.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah. I am glad that you found it easy to locate. I’m sorry that your stay occurred at a time when there was an abundance of highway noise.

I’m glad that you liked your room. We are always glad to know that our staff is living up to the high standards which we set for them and for ourselves.

Thank you for letting us know about the problems with the lobby breakfast bar. It is our intention that it be fully stocked and “ready to roll” as the saying goes at the advertised time. Steps have been taken to see to it that this will be the case. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

I hope that you will be pleasantly pleased with what you experience the next time you stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah.

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I made the reservation for this hotel online. The online system gave me the option of a "standard" room or a "nonsmoking king." (I think this may have been after I selected the criterion of "non-smoking," but I can't be positive.) At any rate, I chose the standard room and didn't think anymore about it until we checked in.

When we did check in, the front-desk person asked me if I could remember which room option I had chosen through the system, to which I replied, "standard." She then proceeded to say, "According to our computer system, you chose a 'CSTM,' which does not distinguish between smoking and non-smoking rooms, so we have put you in a smoking room, and this is the only room we have left." As she repeated this malarky, she had a very uncomfortable expression on her face, which indicated to me that she has to break this awkward new to travelers quite a bit, which further indicates that she and the hotel operators know that this is a deceptive and low-life (if not illegal?) practice, but they continue to do so because it is cheaper to have irate customers who will never come back than to pay to refurbish the smoking rooms.

My theory is that fully one-half of the rooms were built as smoking rooms (back in the '70s), and--even though the percentage of smokers in the general population has declined precipitously--they have not ever had the inclination to spend the money to refurbish any of the rooms. So they just keep them as smoking rooms and deal with the consequences (a lot of justifiably angry people).

I think that the hotel's rationale is that most of the people who stay at their hotel are either just passing through or are there for a one-time special occasion such as a wedding (as we were), so they have absolutely no repeat-customer base. So--the logic goes--why not just tick off the customer upfront because we know they have no other choice (indeed, this was the last hotel in town that still had rooms, which should have told me something!)

My response would be, "Have you ever thought of taking out a small-business loan to fix the rooms?" The additional revenue generated by actually satisfied customers would help you pay off the loan in no time. But perhaps this logic is far too obvious to dawn on the dim-witted, greedy owners.

So, you might ask, how did the story end? After we very reluctantly checked in and went to our room (which REEKED of smoke), we went to our wedding. But we decided we couldn't even stand to stay there for one night, so we gave our room key to a friend (who had been planning to drive back home that evening and is an occasional smoker so did not mind as much), went back to pick up our things and drove home (2 1/2 hours) that evening. Even though we had only left our luggage in the room for about 5 hours total, we ended up having to have all of our clothes dry-cleaned because the smell of smoke was so pervasive. Talk about disgusting!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taittinger_Traveler

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah.

I apologize that you ended up with a smoking rather than a non-smoking room. We have taken steps to check out our online reservation system to see if there are ways in which we can make it more user friendly for our guests and our staff as well.

I hope that your next stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah will be a much pleasanter one.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

We booked this hotel on hotwire,com, which rated it a 3 star. However, it should have been rated about a 2 or 2.5 star for these reasons: it had no restaurant or fitness center, the lobby was small and plain, the guest rooms were accessed from the exterior instead of via interior corridors, and there was no elevator. On the plus side, our room was clean and comfortable, the in-room Internet worked well, and the staff was helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah. I am glad that you found your room clean and comfortable and that the in-room internet worked well for you.
Thank you also for the kind compliment that you paid to our staff. It is always nice to know that our guests are being treated with the curtesy which we expect them to experience.

I am sorry that we don’t have a restaurant or fitness center at Holiday Inn Express Ukiah but I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities which we do offer.

I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that your next stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah will be an even pleasanter one.

Reviewed June 1, 2009

We were forced to stay here because everything else was booked (that's what I get for not making reservations in advance on Memorial Day weekend!). The room was clean, but that's about it. Breakfast was sub par, but it's something to eat.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah. I well know how hard it is to find a place on Memorial Day weekend and I’m so glad that we were able to accommodate you.

I am glad that you found your room to meet the standards of cleanliness which we expect, but I am sorry that you found the breakfast to be sub par. We have taken steps to have the breakfast situation looked into and improved in order to make the stay here a pleasanter one for yourself and other guests. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this situation.
I think you will find your next stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah to be an even pleasanter one.

Reviewed April 3, 2009

These people should be in jail.
I stayed here for one night 10/31/08. I was alone, no pets (per policy).
When I awoke in the morning November 1, 2008 I stepped on a large turd, probably human, that was lying just under the edge of the bedframe. It was rather fresh. In that particular location the turd had to have been planted there. I have photos to back all of this up. After taking a few steps toward the bathroom I realized what had happened, and I meticulously cleaned the slight mess, spreading towels on the carpet to avoid further contamination of my foot and their carpet. At this point the housekeeper coincidentally knocked on the door -?so early-and I asked her to come back later, preventing her from the disgusting scene. I got cleaned up, and went to check out before the 11AM checkout time. On my way out I gave the housekeeper a heads-up regarding the contamination, although I had already cleaned up most of the mess. A little carpet spray and ra would suffice to remove traces. As I checked out I reported all this to the manager/owner. While I was drinking the free coffee and using the WiFi in the lobby (I missed the the free continental breakfast) the manager presented me with a bill for $598.79! That would be 98.79 for the room, and $500 for damages! I declined to sign the second, $500 bill. My bank, WaMu now Chase Bank approved it, and their debit fraud department refused to reverse payment. They even failed to respond to my written request for a review within one month, and it appeared to me they didn't bother to investigate the matter at all. I sent them copious documentation but I don't believe any human brain ever reviewed the situation. So much for WaMu. They went bankrupt themselves around that time. They are morally bankrupt as well.
The manager at Ukiah Holiday Inn Express actually called the police to have me removed from the premises "for trespassing" after I checked out, as I was quietly sitting in the understandably empty lobby. 3 police officers came and threatened to arrest me if I didn't leave the premises immediately. They refused to allow me to press charges against the manager for making a false police report -I was a paying guest and I had the expectation of being allowed to use the lobby for a short while after check-out-or charges of endangering my health and safety by providing me with a room which had not been properly inspected.
I was so distressed over this incident that I could not make the long drive home. I stayed in Santa Rosa at the Motel 6, where I was treated decently.
The Mendocino County Health Department was notified of this unsafe situation, but apparently it is out of their jurisdiction. I had many phone calls to Holiday Inn Express Corporate offices. Their ploy was initially to assuage me that everything would be taken care of, and that they would certainly follow-up, which they did not. I had to keep calling them back, and their final position was that the Holiday Inn Express in Ukiah is a FRANCHISE and that they have no obligation in the matter. They hardly seemed interested in the matter, incredibly enough.
I am still trying to figure out who has oversight of motels, and of bank credit cards.Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not litigious, and I've never sued anybody for anything, but I think I should retain an attorney to get my $500 back. An apology from the manager would have been nice, but he is apparently not a nice person, so I don't expect he will listen to reason at any point. Perhaps this is part of an organized scam to get more money out of travelers! I know they weren't doing much business, so they may be desperate for the cash.
This incident happened about 5 months ago. I have given them ample time to make this right, but I have hit a stone wall, and many hearts of stone.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank jreisermd

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah.

I am very sorry for the unpleasantness which you experienced here. I have had steps taken to have the matter looked into.

I hope that the matter will be amiably resolved at some time in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2008

Went to Ukiah for the first time to see my daughter who just had a baby in Ukiah. Had a mini-family reunion. The rooms were large, comfortable, clean. Complaints about this hotel are unfounded. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The breakfast was good and very generous. The beds were great. We will be going back and we will stay here.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)