“Orr Hot Springs worth the trip!”
Review of Orr Hot Springs

Orr Hot Springs
Ranked #2 of 5 Spas & Wellness in Ukiah
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love hot springs and have easily been to over 100 hot springs all over the US and in New Zealand. Orr is a very sweet spot. Tucked in the mountains in the redwoods by a small stream... Orr is a sublime and peaceful setting. In the summer, the large cool spring fed swimming pool is refreshing. They have a nice sauna, steam bath, outdoor and indoor claw foot tubs, communal pools... all well maintained. It used to be a funky place and has definitely fixed up over the years. If you not been in a long time, try it again, as it is very nice now! I have not stayed in their lodging and instead have made the trek to and from there. I think dropping into the deep quiet of that area overnight would be a treat! They keep the numbers well managed and I have never been there when it has felt too crowded. A hike nearby Anderson Woods (I think that's what it's called) is really lovely and worth the extra effort. It is about 2 miles towards the coast from Orr. Their kitchen is amazing and if you enjoy preparing your own meal in a communal setting, this is about the best of that kind of situation you can find. I keep going back. When we have been there lately, they appear to only take reservations, so call ahead! They limit the number of people who can attend as a group (4 or more is a group to them). We could have each made our own reservations and everyone would have been able come. I always feel like I have really gotten away and had a wonderful renewal after being there!

6  Thank quiana11
There are newer reviews for Orr Hot Springs

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Three of us spent new years eve day there and it was a perfect day. If you like high end, fancy or classy spas where they hand you robes and slippers and treat you like royalty, this is not the place for you. Its a quiet forested hot springs where you will be left alone to find your own pace of soaking, walking, reading, sitting by the fire, laying in the sun, or having tea or a meal in the community kitchen. A more remote and private feeling than the buzz of activity at Harbin Hot Springs, more like Wilbur Hot Springs but with better soaking water.

Its not a particularly social place, so don't expect to meet people, although it could happen. Most people are there because they are looking for R&R, peace and quiet, so there isn't much talking. The place would be too funky for some, but it feels really good to me. And definitely upgraded from how it was in decades past.

You can choose from individual private tubs to the larger ones which accommodate about 8 people comfortably. Even at this holiday time, it was not crowded because they limit the number of people who can come. We were frustrated that we couldn't add a 4th to our reservation for 3, but realized they had rules.

Remember to bring your own: towels, slip-on shoes or flip-flops, food and drink (no glass bottles at the tubs so bring a plastic or metal one), and good walking shoes for Montgomery Woods at the end of the road. You might also want a robe and a book.
Enjoy!

10  Thank Bobbi B
Reviewed December 3, 2012

It is what it is. What you read isn't trying to trick you into thinking this place is something it's not like some other places do. It's a fine place to strip down, soak in some water that comes out of the earth and then sweat yourself silly. All this set in a beautiful valley with towering trees and rain-foresty ferns and moss around you.

What this isn't is an upscale resort. It's not even an upscale hot springs facility. It's not an upscale day spa, and it's not an upscale campground. It's more like an oversized turnout in the road with a couple of pools, a few cabins and some lawn seed thrown down. A nice turnout though, probably the nicest turnout you've ever been to.

As for the pools, they are pretty small. Even though I saw the pictures of a couple of them pushed up against a building I thought there must be more than that.... nope. A couple of pools about 2' deep that might accomodate 6 people without touching each other. They are well kept pools, pretty even, but not big at all. Then there are 6 rooms with private clawfoot tubs in them. The water is continually flowing into these tubs and after you're done with your tub you're supposed to pull the drain stopper and scrub the tub. I did exactly that, but I'm not sure the 27,894 people before me did. There is a definite film/funk in the tubs that wouldn't be touched by the scrub brushes that are provided. Not a deal killer, but curious nonetheless.

There are 2 saunas, one a dry sauna and the other a wet sauna. I never made it into the dry sauna, but I spent some time in the wet one. Nice, not big with a window and view of the large pool that is stream fed, so it's the cold one. I would say the sauna would sit maybe 8-10 people without sticking to each other. We all sat there silently as a couple of the attendees were sitting indian style in some sort of trance. I enjoyed attempting to decipher the body ink.

There are two tubs on an upper deck that are open to the sun and sky. THESE are the cat's meow. Still with the tub funk mentioned above, but you're in your own tub with hot water flowing over you constantly with the sights and sounds of the forest around you. Too bad that there are only 2, as they are the most popular and seem to attract the people that get there early to make a day of it. While the private rooms can get a little dark and cramped feeling, these outside deck tubs are the complete opposite.

As for the staff, they treated us very well and were very nice and welcoming. The other patrons were for the most part to themselves, there wasn't really ever an opportunity to strike up conversation, but I didn't put out that vibe and didn't sense anybody else wanting to chat either. Most were nude, but there were a couple in bathing suits. Seems to be a hit with the younger, dreadlocked, pierced and tatted, veggie eating, alternative lifestyle 420 crowd....at least for the 6 hours we were there.

Not sorry we went, had a fun time with my spouse, enjoyed the drive there and back, relaxed in the hot water, breathed the clean air. Won't make the effort to go back, but not because of what Orr Hot Springs is, it is what they say it is. What did we expect?

15  Thank barepair
Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you you enjoy a quiet and peaceful setting with lovely hot tubs sauna and steam room this is the place for you, tubs are clothing optional. TIPS: Make sure to CALL for a RESERVATION before making the long drive out, there is a LIMITED NUMBER OF PEOPLE allowed in PER DAY and they are often full, so if you forget to call, you run the risk of being turned away. Stock up before you head out, The nearest town for gas and food is narrow and windy and is 14 miles away, and cell phones don't get reception in the area.

5  Thank Melissa F
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I am very late to write our comments on three north California hot springs: Wilbur, Vichy, and Orr. We visited them in mid October 2011. We stayed in Ukiah, CA, and visited them for a day usage only (not staying overnight). I thought it could be helpful to compare them, since they are in (kind of) one area.
The most of the points go to Wilbur Hot Springs for its remote location, and very quite atmosphere. The sulfuric water was great, very silky ~ it “blacked” my silver ring the way that it never happened before! Pure relaxation. It was mid week and not many people there. Clothes are optional, but expect nudity. The public kitchen has the whole wall of different spices, and herbs. Bring your own food, because a cooking lunch there is a must.
We voted the Vichy Hot Springs to the second place. It is located in the city of Ukiah (not a plus). However, the place is winning with its uniqueness and history. It is different that any hot springs we have been before! There are a few individual bath-tubs, some in the private rooms, some outside. The naturally carbonated water releases the famous bubbles that make the skin to “blush with goose bumps”. Be aware that the temperature of the water is far from hot. There is the side hot tub nearby to warm you up. The big (cold water) pool is some distance from the tubs. No nudity when we were there. The trail to waterfalls is poorly marked and it’s easy to get lost.
And finally, the Orr Hot Springs. We both like it very much. It is a long, curvy, but beautiful drive form Ukiah ~ I wouldn’t drive there at night. The place is great, they have two big bath-tubs (outside), and a few private ones (didn’t use them). Also, there is a very nice big pool, where the hot water mixes with the cold stream. The kitchen is well equipped but much smaller than in Wilburn. The place was packed ~ must be a closer/easier location from the big city. Most of the people were the female couples. The clothes are optional, but expect 99% nudity. The hike in the Redwoods (Montgomery Growth) nearby is amazing.

18  Thank tzd60820