“Good food & drinks, restaurant too noisy”
Review of Bonefish Grill

Bonefish Grill
Ranked #22 of 309 Restaurants in Tustin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were a party of 8 on Sunday 1/26, arrived at 5:30 p.m. On the positive side most everyone had great meals. Appetizers-bang, bang shrimp and grilled artichoke were absolutely wonderful. Lobster thermidor over mahi-mahi, Chilean sea bass, ahi tuna were all wonderful. Grilled shrimp and scallops were way overcooked and bland. The vegetable of the day, garbanzo beans, spinach, tomato, peppers with andoiue sausage was fabulous.

Not so great - restaurant is way too noisy. Also,our server took drink orders promptly but it took a while for drinks to be served. A woman in our party ordered a specialty martini which was supposed to come with cranberries but they ran out of them and she was served the drink anyway. This same person ordered couscous with her dinner and was informed that they had just ran out, she had to order another side. Seems to me when an item is on the menu the restaurant should never run out of ingredients - especially this early in the evening.

After saying all of the above - we would definitely give it another chance. All in all, I hope they stay in business because I was really excited to have a Bonefish Grill on the West Coast!!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Just went to this new place in Tustin last night with friends. We really enjoyed it. Great to have a new restaurant that has fresh and healthy choices. I had a Icelandic Cod in a Thai sauce that was excellent. My husband had a grilled salmon salad and our friend had something they liked a lot though I can't remember what it was... Great atmosphere. We went early and by the time we left it was getting pretty crowded. So that is a good sign for success... Waitperson was quick and efficient. The cocktails are reasonably priced too..

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My son has been wanting us to take him here since it opened. We decided to go late one afternoon before it got too busy. First impression was why a revolving door? Weird.

We stopped at the hostess desk, and took the hostess an awkward amount of time to figure out the computer to seat us. Seemed like she was completely unfamiliar with the table assignment software.

Despite getting there early (~4:40pm) the layout for booths is very poor. Let me rephrase, it is very poor for a group of 3 or 4. The only booths they have for a group of 4 are along the front entrance wall nearest the hostess stand. All of the window booths along the far wall are larger. So your choices for a group of 4 are "would you like the noise and draft from the entrance and hostess stand or an awkward table placed too close to other tables.

The server we had seemed nice enough, but he also seemed inexperienced. Every plate delivered to our table was visibly shaking. To his credit none of them ended up in anybody's lap. Still when paying this much on a meal I expect seasoned professional servers.

My wife had the salmon, my son had swordfish and I had the sirloin and crab cake combination. We all agreed the food was quite good. We can all attest the au gratin potatoes were a good choice for the side dish.

Since we were there on the early side, the place was just starting to get busy as we were finishing our meal. In general, the acoustics are terrible. Tile floor with no real separation from the bar or entrance/waiting area.

In short, I would eat here again, but probably only off hours. I want to be able to relax and enjoy my food, especially at these prices, and the Bone Fish Grill is just not that relaxing. The food was very good, the service was friendly and I am sure will improve with time, but they won't be able to do anything about the acoustics or the awkward layout.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We started out today the afternoon by stopping in for lunch. We also had a $10 coupon.

We arrived about 1 PM and the location was very full and busy. The room noise was loud with all the people talking.

We were seated promplty. The first issue I have with the service, which was also prompt throughout our meal, is the long sales pitch for alcohol.

They place the menu in front of you with the alcohol offerings face up. I turned mine over to look at the food items and when the waiter approached she promptly turned it back over to the alcohol page and started the long and I mean overly long sales pitch for alcoholic drinks. It was lunch time and she spent a couple of minutes to tell us about Martinis. Enough already.

We had the corn chowder with crab and it was good, but a bit on the cold-warm temperature. I like my soup to arrive hot.

No bread was offered.

We shared a fish and chips lunch. Three pieces of tempura battered fish. The fish had a very nice texture and taste. The batter was very greasy. Not really enough fries for me, and they were just ok.

So pay and out the door we started. At the exit I made comments to the manager and he gave us another $10 coupon.

It was Tuesday and they have a Tuesday night lobster deal dinner after 4 PM.

Off to visit friends, buy some milk and back to the restaurant to try the lobster.

Seated promptly again. Not as full as at lunch time. It was approx. 5 PM now.

Almost the same booth as lunch. And then here we go again witht he pitch for alcohol. Same long, too long pitch. I already knew I was going to try the holiday Martini, did't matter, listen to the pitch. Oh, and yes the menu is alcohol page face up again.

Waiter asked my wife what she normally drinks and she says "water". He says perhaps you would like to get a light wine.........give me a break.

Artichoke appetizer, pretty good. Nice flavor and cooker properly.

Dinner salad. I had the Ceasar, good, chilled lettuce and tossed with the dressing. My wife had the house salad and did not care for the mix of lettuce that was offered.

We both had the Tuesday $12.90 lobster dinner deal. Lobster tail with one side, and soup or salad.

My wifes lobster was the same size tale, but had more meat and the meat was fuller. It had a very nice flavor.

My lobster tale was less meat, but still a nice flavor.

We had the string beans and they were undercooked. I could barely cut mine with a knife. It was difficult to pierce them with the fork and crunchy to chew.

Garlic mashed potatoes were good.

No desert.

Would I go back, maybe. My wife liked it more than I did so that could be a factor. For me in this area for fish, I go to the Crab Cooker in Tustin.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

This restaurant just opened in mid-November. Since sadly Tustin does not have many truly fine restaurants - and a fish restaurant! - we were hoping....We were a bit concerned when we learned it was part of a chain from back east but we booked a reservation for a Saturday night about two weeks after it opened and 4 of us went with great anticipation.The place was packed inside and out before 6:30. Noisy but tolerable.
Our beginning was irritating. The hostess informed us she could not find our reservation which had been made by phone the Sunday before. She then proceeded to search her list and repeatedly asked us our name. She really did not seem to know what to do. The fourth time she asked our name as if we might some how not know it, I lost patience and assured her it was the name I'd used for more than 40 years and that I could even spell it! Flustered, she got a manager who assured us of a table within 10 minutes. The promise was kept.
The menu was disappointingly short. Not a great many choices but when food is good, a few good choices are far better than a lot of bad. We remained hopeful. We ordered two starters, calamari and dumplings. The calamari was the best dish of the evening but the portion was very small. The dumplings were too thick and heavy. The filing tasted Ok.
My son ordered sea bass. My daughter ordered the chicken dish. My husband, ahi. And I ordered the salmon although I was bothered that it was Atlantic but the preparation seemed good. My son tasted the sea bass and said it tasted odd. I took a bite. I don't think it was at all fresh. @ $30! The chicken was dry and my salmon - well, I ate barely a third of it. Only the ahi was pronounced "Ok". Most of the portions were small for the price and each came with a single small side.
Overall, the quality was missing especially at the prices. In good restaurants we pay $30 per plate for sea bass but then we get excellent sea bass. Nothing we had here was excellent.
Service after our encounter with the hostess was Ok. Frankly, if you're in the area and want a middle range restaurant with some good fish, go down the street to the Irvine side of the Market Place and try Opah's!