“Our Go-To Restaurant in Tustin”
Review of Mimi's Cafe

Mimi's Cafe
Ranked #21 of 297 Restaurants in Tustin
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have eaten at this Mimi's Cafe location for years with few problems. Its location (one block off the 55 freeway) makes it perfect for meeting my friends who are driving to Orange County from all over the southland. The left turn lane into the shopping center with Mimi's appears immediately after exiting the freeway and is sometimes hard to enter with traffic so a U-turn farther down the street may be necessary. Parking is a challenge sometimes at peak periods, so we always try to arrive early for lunch, at 11 a.m. If we wait until noon, the parking is more difficult and we have to wait to be seated, although usually only about 15 minutes.

I have never had a bad meal at Mimi's whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner. The servers are usually attentive and accomodating. At this meal, one of us was served a half cup of lukewarm, end-of-the-pot coffee, and the server should have known better, but she rectified it and soon brought a delicious hot cup from a new batch. We have also encountered in the past a little attitude when presenting a Mimi's eClub BOGO coupon. Maybe that server had previously been stiffed on her tip by being tipped on the discounted meal rather than the full, regular price. By the time she received our tip, it was too late to change her tune. However, our server on this visit cheerfully accepted our BOGO coupon.

Mimi's salads are delicious, especially the Bleu Cheese & Walnuts and Cobb salads. The sandwiches are good-sized, and I usually have to take half home with me. The quiches and omelettes are yummy. Most meals come with one of Mimi's great muffins. For dessert, I highly recommend Mimi's Bread Pudding.

The prices are reasonable, the food is good, the location is freeway close, and the restrooms are nice, and very clean. (I should add, however, that my husband feels he does not get enough to eat at Mimi's, so I usually only go with girlfriends. Oh, and please be sure to tip your server the correct amount on a BOGO coupon!)

Reviewed July 30, 2012

When traveling Mimi's is always on my list for dining because they are always a good value and the choice and quality of meals is great. We had a party of 5 and arrived at 5:30 and were seated right away, not so with those arriving when we were leaving. When dining out I always try to eat early so I don't have to wait when I'm hungry.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This particular Mimi's has been here for decades and is a favorite (and hence, often crowded) with locals. Over the years it has evolved from being a "Country French" cafe to being billed more as "New Orleans French" but in either incarnation it has remained basically American comfort food.
The food is fairly good, though in recent times has fallen to become more like Olive Garden (food tastes pre-made/frozen and not freshly prepared) Yes, it does mean that every Mimi's has the same taste, no variations, so if you have eaten at one Mimi's and liked it, you will probably like them all. Personally I prefer this place for breakfast, they have numerous choices to fit just about every taste and the prices are on par with your average family restaurant.
This particular location is pleasant enough, plenty of parking and lots of seating areas, but even so, the wait can be quite long, especially on weekends. There is one large table in a semi-private room (near the restrooms) which is nice if you have a very large family or little private function. Nice for an intimate bridal shower/luncheon?
Their website is a good way to check out their menu and any seasonal specials, also they have an e-club that is worth signing up for as you will get numerous coupons, including frequent BOGO offers.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We formerly enjoyed Mimi's but on this visit, it was not up to it's usual goodness. My pot roast was dry and tough. I sent it back and I don't usually do that. I got a chicken pot pie instead and it seemed like a frozen dinner. My husband's cobb salad was not not particularly fresh. Quality has been reduced to cafe food. The muffins and breads were excellent as we remembered.
We had our two grandchildren with us therefore 2 high chairs. Oddly we were seated at a table with an aisle leading to the restrooms, where the high chairs were placed. People had to squeeze by the high chairs to get to the restrooms. We even had to move the kids as a lady in a wheelchair wanted to get by. The hostess was not thinking ahead.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Mimi's can be counted on for efficient service and good food. There is never a family argument when someone suggests Mimis!