“Comfortable Bargain”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Turlock
San Diego, California
“Comfortable Bargain”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

On road trip north that included visiting former neighbors in nearby Modesto we found this to be a well priced quality alternative to offerings in Modesto.Friendly reception and clean comfortable room was everything we expected. Modest but adequate breakfast in lobby.

Room Tip: Second floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Roanoke
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We checked in to this hotel with some trepidation, there was a construction crew staying there and it is sort of out of town. The rooms were spotless, care was taken with decoration and hospitality. The breakfast room was sort of strange, a room turned into a breakfast room, but the food was fine. The pool is nice, clean and partly shaded. There is a good little restaurant next door, again sort of sketchy from the outside, but good food and live music. We never heard the construction crew coming or going, very polite guys working hard in the central valley sun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jcline82055
corona ca
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was very surprised at this hotel. The town of Turlock is fairly small so I did not expect such a nice place. The rooms were modern and clean with flat screen TV's. It is quiet and very comfortable. The pool area is clean and very nice with a BBQ and great lounging chairs. They also have a great pizza place that delivers to the hotel for a 10.00 minimum and it is so yummy. The only complaint I have is thier breakfast. It is hot, unlike a lot of hotels in the area, but it is not good. The eggs are dry and the sausage is like rubber. The yougart is an off brand that is very watery. The assortment of muffins is horrible. I would rather pay 10.00 more a night and get a little bit better breakfast. Also the dining area is very small and if you get more then 5 people in there watch out. Other then that I really enjoyed my 2 night stay here and would definitly recommend it to others

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Folsom, California
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We were very pleased with the cleanliness of this hotel. The room we stayed had two Queen beds, with nice sheets, pillows and bedding. The carpet was clean and new. It had a nice big flat screen TV, refrigerator, iron with ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker etc. The outside of the hotel was kept immaculate, no garbage, small trash or even spider webs to be seen. They even had a nice gas BBQ next to the nice sized pool. Our room was situated on the side opposite the freeway and we heard nothing. It's the most quiet hotel we have ever stayed in, including other guest noises (like running water, door slams etc) - barely audible.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tracy, California
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My family checked into this hotel for a one night stay. As soon as we walked into our room, I saw hair of "every" sort on the bed and all over the fabrics (chairs, decorative fabric pillows, etc.) I was disgusted by this and carefully removed the top sheets from both beds. My husband then noticed a "dirty wrapper" (which would explain the type of hair that we saw prior (Ewww!) The carpet was clearly not vacuumed, so I went to the office to notify them of our findings and see how they could resolve the issue. The manager/owner then offered to move our rooms and also upgraded us to one of their larger rooms.

When we got to our new room, it got much, much worse and two days later, I am still queezy at the thought of it all. Again, I noticed hair all over the bathroom floor and was very grossed out. I noticed some hair on the bed as well and when I attempted to again remove the top sheet, my husband and daughters jaws dropped. As I lifted the sheet, they noticed that the bottom mattress on that bed was COVERED with old blood. As if that wasn't sickening enough, I then saw very nasty looking chucks of old food on one of the bed skirts (we realized it had to be old vomit). We immediately picked up our belongings and checked out.

Upon hearing and looking at our pictures of the room conditions, the manager responded with "great surprise", apologized and checked us out.

My entire family was so, so disgusted by what we saw that we all lost our appetites for the rest of that day. It was unbelievable that the management would allow such extremely unacceptable conditions. There are almost no words to describe how awful our experience was.

Room Tip: Just choose another hotel altogether
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank barbara g
California
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were in Turlock during the time of Cal State Turlock's graduation, so hotel rooms were sparse. The chains we would have preferred were not available. We ended up staying 4 nights at the Best Western Orchard. I am sorry to say that I have a mixed review to give you:

ROOM TIP: TRAVELER BEWARE! Upstairs unit on the side away from the freeway is the room tip. You MUST ask for a room on the 'quiet side' as this two-story hotel/motel is located right alongside the busy 99 freeway which is heavy with trucks going up and down the Central Valley. The staff was kind enough to give me a 'quiet room', meaning an upstairs second floor room that did not have little kids running around overhead. There was a dog howling in the downstairs unit but only briefly until it adjusted to it's owners going out for dinner (or wherever). I did not see an elevator so if you have trouble climbing stairs, check into that.

INTERNET: UNRELIABLE! It was included with the room price, however, the traffic on the server frequently became overloaded. Once it froze up on me right when I was making a reservation for another hotel. You may find it busiest in the evening, when people are in their rooms for the night. I ended up using my iPAD and iPhone most of the time as the hotel wi-fi was unreliable.

BREAKFAST: I'D SAY FORGET IT! I'm sorry for those who gave you a raving review of how good the breakfast was in this motel/hotel, but there is a lot of improvement needed. We are seasoned travelers and I couldn't even eat this food. I'm posting some photos so you can judge for yourself some of what I say. I found the little muffins were stale and uneatable. I tried to feed them to the birds, and they wouldn't even eat them. The eggs (see the photo) were like little round rubber frisbees. I couldn't eat them. I did have a waffle serving, and it was hot, fresh and good. The sausage patty was decent. The yogurt was good but how can you ruin that? There was a slim selection of cereals (cold), and some packaged oatmeal. White bread for toast. Peanut butter and jelly packets. FRESH FRUIT? Apples that looked so old that I wondered where they got them. The juice was standard and decent. The coffee was acceptable even though other reviewers didn't like it.

Check out my photos. But if you've been to other hotels which offer breakfasts, you'll probably agree that this was slim pickings.

TIP: We wanted a decent breakfast, so we we drove 1 mile south on the 99 freeway and in that vicinity found the "Waffle Shop" and the "Hot Rod Cafe". Both offered really good breakfasts.

SLEEPING: EXCELLENT! In contrast to what other reviewers reported, we slept VERY WELL! The black out curtains did their job, the wall installed air conditioner worked and didn't make excessive noise, the mattress (king) was to our liking. The pillows were great. Housekeeping did a good job as the room, dressing area and bathroom, was always clean!

I'm really picky about a room being clean and a bed being comfortable, and they were, so that is why I do not rate this motel/hotel any lower than I am.

REFRIGERATOR & MICROWAVE: These were included which is always nice. So too a small coffee pot with the standard gear. Decent bath products.

LOCATION: CONVEIENT BUT HOLY COW! This place is in an ugly area, surrounded by dusty vacant lots. So if you're looking for beauty, keep looking. But, it is CONVENIENT to the 99 Freeway, and about 1 mile south, you'll find the major shopping and dining areas of Turlock, plus the other hotels. You'll have to go quite a way north on the 99 to get to Modesto though. If Modesto is your destination, check the map so you won't be surprized at how far away it is.

COSTCO: There is a Costco nearby (across the freeway) if you need gas and are a member. For us, that is always a plus.

STAFF: Generally friendly and helpful.

SUMMARY: For this level of motel/hotel, I would say it's about average. Personally, I'd rate it at 2 stars. Would we stay there again? Only if there were no other hotels in the area available. But like I said, we did sleep well....so that is a plus. And, for that, we're grateful!

Room Tip: ROOM TIP: Request a room on the 'quiet side' - one away from the freeway. Upper floor of th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, USA
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spent 1 night here.

Pros:
-Clean & reasonably priced.
-Good continental breakfast - scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, yummy muffins & danishes - with tables to eat at both inside & outside.

Cons:
-It's right next to the freeway. Our room faced the freeway, and it was so noisy that I actually thought my husband had opened a window. I did not have a problem sleeping through this, but if you don't have a reputation for sleeping through fire alarms like I do, make sure you ask to stay on the other side of the hotel.
-The coffee is bad. Don't even try it. It will ruin your breakfast, and that's a shame, because their banana nut muffins are pretty darn good. If you want coffee, just stop by AM+PM right down the street before you hop on the freeway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turlock
Comfort Suites Turlock
Fairfield Inn & Suites Turlock
Holiday Inn Express Turlock
Candlewood Suites Turlock
Best Western Palm Court Inn

Been to Best Western Orchard Inn? Share your experiences!