“A Mixed Bag”

Best Western Orchard Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Turlock
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were in Turlock during the time of Cal State Turlock's graduation, so hotel rooms were sparse. The chains we would have preferred were not available. We ended up staying 4 nights at the Best Western Orchard. I am sorry to say that I have a mixed review to give you:

ROOM TIP: TRAVELER BEWARE! Upstairs unit on the side away from the freeway is the room tip. You MUST ask for a room on the 'quiet side' as this two-story hotel/motel is located right alongside the busy 99 freeway which is heavy with trucks going up and down the Central Valley. The staff was kind enough to give me a 'quiet room', meaning an upstairs second floor room that did not have little kids running around overhead. There was a dog howling in the downstairs unit but only briefly until it adjusted to it's owners going out for dinner (or wherever). I did not see an elevator so if you have trouble climbing stairs, check into that.

INTERNET: UNRELIABLE! It was included with the room price, however, the traffic on the server frequently became overloaded. Once it froze up on me right when I was making a reservation for another hotel. You may find it busiest in the evening, when people are in their rooms for the night. I ended up using my iPAD and iPhone most of the time as the hotel wi-fi was unreliable.

BREAKFAST: I'D SAY FORGET IT! I'm sorry for those who gave you a raving review of how good the breakfast was in this motel/hotel, but there is a lot of improvement needed. We are seasoned travelers and I couldn't even eat this food. I'm posting some photos so you can judge for yourself some of what I say. I found the little muffins were stale and uneatable. I tried to feed them to the birds, and they wouldn't even eat them. The eggs (see the photo) were like little round rubber frisbees. I couldn't eat them. I did have a waffle serving, and it was hot, fresh and good. The sausage patty was decent. The yogurt was good but how can you ruin that? There was a slim selection of cereals (cold), and some packaged oatmeal. White bread for toast. Peanut butter and jelly packets. FRESH FRUIT? Apples that looked so old that I wondered where they got them. The juice was standard and decent. The coffee was acceptable even though other reviewers didn't like it.

Check out my photos. But if you've been to other hotels which offer breakfasts, you'll probably agree that this was slim pickings.

TIP: We wanted a decent breakfast, so we we drove 1 mile south on the 99 freeway and in that vicinity found the "Waffle Shop" and the "Hot Rod Cafe". Both offered really good breakfasts.

SLEEPING: EXCELLENT! In contrast to what other reviewers reported, we slept VERY WELL! The black out curtains did their job, the wall installed air conditioner worked and didn't make excessive noise, the mattress (king) was to our liking. The pillows were great. Housekeeping did a good job as the room, dressing area and bathroom, was always clean!

I'm really picky about a room being clean and a bed being comfortable, and they were, so that is why I do not rate this motel/hotel any lower than I am.

REFRIGERATOR & MICROWAVE: These were included which is always nice. So too a small coffee pot with the standard gear. Decent bath products.

LOCATION: CONVEIENT BUT HOLY COW! This place is in an ugly area, surrounded by dusty vacant lots. So if you're looking for beauty, keep looking. But, it is CONVENIENT to the 99 Freeway, and about 1 mile south, you'll find the major shopping and dining areas of Turlock, plus the other hotels. You'll have to go quite a way north on the 99 to get to Modesto though. If Modesto is your destination, check the map so you won't be surprized at how far away it is.

COSTCO: There is a Costco nearby (across the freeway) if you need gas and are a member. For us, that is always a plus.

STAFF: Generally friendly and helpful.

SUMMARY: For this level of motel/hotel, I would say it's about average. Personally, I'd rate it at 2 stars. Would we stay there again? Only if there were no other hotels in the area available. But like I said, we did sleep well....so that is a plus. And, for that, we're grateful!

Room Tip: ROOM TIP: Request a room on the 'quiet side' - one away from the freeway. Upper floor of th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Orchard Inn

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spent 1 night here.

Pros:
-Clean & reasonably priced.
-Good continental breakfast - scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, yummy muffins & danishes - with tables to eat at both inside & outside.

Cons:
-It's right next to the freeway. Our room faced the freeway, and it was so noisy that I actually thought my husband had opened a window. I did not have a problem sleeping through this, but if you don't have a reputation for sleeping through fire alarms like I do, make sure you ask to stay on the other side of the hotel.
-The coffee is bad. Don't even try it. It will ruin your breakfast, and that's a shame, because their banana nut muffins are pretty darn good. If you want coffee, just stop by AM+PM right down the street before you hop on the freeway.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Our daughter is attending CSU and we stay here every time we go to visit. It is clean, convenient and not expensive. The breakfast is only OK although the young woman working breakfast is always helpful and pleasant. The front desk staff is fine but not particularily friendly or welcoming. We have had issues with the keys in the past but the last 2 times they worked fine so perhaps they have solved that problem. We have not had any problems with freeway noise and have stayed on both sides of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Our familly chose this hotel for its convenient location off the freeway. Once we checked in, we were very pleased with the nice clean room. The very resnably priced room included a nice buffet breakfest. At first there was no place to sit, that quickly chagned after some people left the room. A great hotel for the money.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stay here every year during the swap meet, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else! The staff is always very accomodating and the rooms are always nice and clean. The rates are appropriate and it seems they are always upgrading. You can't go wrong with this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sophie r
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We have stayed here many times in all seasons. The front desk staff has been friendly and helpful. We got in late one night and they unlocked the pool so we could use the hot tub. The pool was warm in November. We ALWAYS request the "quiet" side of the motel as it is right next to the freeway. It is close to shopping malls.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Whatever you do, don't stay on the freeway side of this hotel. Awful noise. Also, make sure you ask for a room with a functional key! Many of the doors were extremely difficult to open due to some kind of malfunction of the magnetic lock or something. I had to try 3 different rooms. It was a big hassle.

The pool was freezing cold and very small. I had even told hotel front desk I was going swimming and no one breathed a word about the lack of heat.

Bed was better than average.
There are better hotels in Turlock but I needed one that accepted pets.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Lovefur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turlock
Comfort Suites Turlock
Fairfield Inn & Suites Turlock
Candlewood Suites Turlock
Holiday Inn Express Turlock
Best Western Palm Court Inn

Been to Best Western Orchard Inn? Share your experiences!