“Underwhelming”

Dust Bowl Downtown Taproom
Ranked #1 of 180 Restaurants in Turlock
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Dust Bowl Brewing Co. is a small craft brewery in Turlock, California. In August 2011, the company opened the Downtown Taproom in the lively Downtown Turlock corridor, offering guests an intimate vibe, industrial chic décor and indoor and outdoor dining. The Downtown Taproom has 12 craft and specialty beers on tap, with bottled beers and growlers to-go in the cold box. To complement the craft beers, the restaurant offers hip pub fare featuring familiar and fresh appetizers, entrées and desserts. The Dust Bowl Brewing Co. Downtown Taproom is a popular destination for great beer, delicious food and a relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

First visit on a busy summer Fri eve. Decided to wait. Very strange waiting area in a warm and stuffy hall. At least we could remininse about our youth shopping in the store.
Seated at a small table directly in front of the door with the blinding sun in our eyes. Hostess said "that has been a problem since we opened". Guess blinds are not an option, needed to wear sunglasses inside. Partner said the Pale Ale was very weak, tried the double and couldn't tell a lot of difference. Food was plain. The grilled cheese was a pool of greasy goo..Hilmar Cheese would be embarrassed. Linguicia on the sandwich was very good but it needed a fork not a roll. Ice is apparently not an ingredient of their iced tea. Had to ask twice for some to cool the drink. Server had a couple outside tables so she was distracted. But as we left hostess apolgized again for the sun. If we decide to ever return it will be after dark.

1  Thank ladragonfli

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is awesome! The food is excellent and there's plenty of great beers to select from. This is one of our favorite places to eat at when we are in California.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stopped by on a warm summer evening. I had a green salad with a basil vinaigrette dressing, and it was large and good. I tried Dust Bowl's Galaxy Pale Ale, Lager, and Scotch Ale. I really enjoyed the Galaxy Ale and Scotch Ale; the Lager was a bit of a disappointment. They didn't have any of their Belgian brews available the day i was there, which was also a disappointment, but all in all it was a nice beer list (I think they had 9 of their own beers on tap, plus an array of guest beers).

I sat outside on the patio. As darkness fell it was a lively place, full of conversation and laughter. I could look inside and see broadcasts of both bay area baseball teams. Baseball and beer. It was a good night.

1  Thank Benjamin H
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have been to the Dust Bowl three times now, and have learned that the beer is very good, but the food is lacking. They menu is good, but it reads better than the food actually tastes. My husband and I ordered the Gazpacho, Lettuce Wraps, Fried Pickles and 50/50 Sliders. The Sliders were great. The soup looked great, but had no flavor...the chicken in the Lettuce Wraps was dry and overcooked...and they lacked seasoning/taste (great idea, poor delivery). The Fried pickles were the most disappointing of all, they were limp and the batter wouldn't stick. We should have learned from our prior visit not to order anything battered as we had the fish and chips and it was the same...limp, greasy fish!
I am really sad that the Dust Bowl can't pull off their own menu because the brewery is great along with the atmosphere (perhaps they need a new chef? or a trip to the south where they can learn how real fried pickles are supposed to taste?) We will go again, but we have learned we will go for the beer, and will only order the burger and fries; only safe bet. We spent way to much for the quality of the food. Too bad, cool place!

1  Thank RebaRed
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Can't go wrong with the food and beer here. Service started out good but then went downhill. My wife said the waitress got miffed at the table next to us, but why did she then take it out on us? Sitting outside may seem like a good idea to save time, but think twice if you are there in the summer time. There are no misters or any cooling devices and it gets hot out there. Wait for a table inside would be my advice.

Been to Dust Bowl Downtown Taproom? Share your experiences!