“Good Food At A Good Price”
Review of Black Bear Diner

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Tulare
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We go here most every Friday night. We share a dinner, usually the steak & shrimp ( not on the menu, just have to ask for it ) it comes with soup or salid. I get the clam chowder, that's why we go on Friday's. The servers are great and the meal is always good and hot. We have Ryan's Place in our town ( owned by the same company, both are good ) but we go to Black Bear most of the time.

There are newer reviews for Black Bear Diner

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stop there on my way to and from the Sacramento area and plan my times to make dinner or lunch stop. last night (May 14th) I stopped there about 7:45pm and was seated quickly by the host ad he brought the drink I ordered.. 10 minutes later my server showed up apologizing for the wait.

I questioned her about the senior ribs as I wanted ribs but not the huge portions that they normally bring. She took the order and left. She brought the salad and then about 10 minutes later she confirmed that I wanted the mashed potatoes and veggies. I said no I wanted the baked as I had previously ordered.

Another 10 minutes went by and she brought the order with Mashed potatoes. I did not notice the rest of the order as I was fixated on the potatoes. She returned the plate to the kitchen. On return of the plate another server plopped it down and then left before I had time to tell her I did NOT order the ribs and tri tip which was what I received.

Took me 5 minutes to get another server's attention and she went to get my proper server. She (not my assigned server) returned with another small plate and said she would scrape the tri tip off my plate right there at the table and I would be charged the proper amount. She then proceeded to almost dump the plate in my lap trying to do so on the small table I was seated at.
I then protested and said I wanted the plate returned to the kitchen and the proper order completed, done as I had originally ordered.

The manager then brought the order to me and verified that it was correct. When I asked what went wrong she stated the server plated the wrong order.

When I was finished the manager brought me the slip and stated she charged me for what I originally ordered but dropped off the difference between the tri tip and ribs and the senior ribs plus a couple of bucks for my inconvenience. In other words the original server got my order correct and I was all wet as to what I originally ordered. which was NOT what she told me the first time I asked what the problem was.

This is the first time something like this has happened and I sincerely hope it's the last. Normally I receive outstanding service and food so I understand and hope this is an anomaly.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

It was a very busy Saturday, but our party of two was seated promptly. Waitress was very good (Veronica, I think.) I had the open-faced roast beef sandwich. Very tasty. This was a good value. The portion sizes are plentiful. You won't be leaving hungry.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This place was awesome, great atmosphere. Food was great, and well priced. Save room for desert. It looked incredible. If you want to stretch you dollar and still have great food eat here! Great service as well.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our first stop when we got to Tulare, we were really hungry and this was the diner we found online. The decoration of the place is great, the service and the food. We ordered breakfast and the portions were huge and full of flavor. We liked it so much, we came back the next day for lunch.

Been to Black Bear Diner? Share your experiences!