“Don't stay here, it is mediocre at best and they don't care about their customers”

Truckee Donner Lodge
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I have stayed here twice, and it was mediocre lodging at best.

Recently, we had reservations to stay 1 night, and because of snow, I-80 was completely closed. We called in the morning and were essentially told "too bad".

The product we reserved was not available/delivered to us, and we were given no refund (or even the ability to move the reservation to another night). You might say that we accepted this risk by making a reservation that had a 48 hour cancellation policy. But this isn't a case of me changing my mind and trying to cancel last minute. It was physically impractical to access the hotel, we were just outside of Sacramento when we learned they closed I-80 from Colfax to Truckee.

This scenario is the equivalent of an airline requiring you to buy a brand new ticket if your flight was cancelled by weather. Hotels that care about their customers purchase weather insurance to offset losses in these circumstances. Instead, this hotel decides to make a few hundred dollars at my expense.

I will never stay here again and I recommend you don't either. Even without this incident, the hotel was overpriced for what it delivered.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Due to road closures and spinouts on the news on the Friday prior to our trip, we called to cancel our hotel reservations. Adrianna, who works at the front desk, said she would cancel our reservations and not charge us. We thought everything was fine and were amazed at how understanding she was UNTIL we saw the credit card bill.

When we called to calmly resolve the issue, she was so rude. She automatically jumped in a defensive mode. Something tells me they do this often to customers. She then told her manager that WE were rude to her. Her manager said we would not get a refund because he believed her. Her manager needs to understand that his front desk person needs some lessons in being appropriate and professional and that she is not being honest to him.

If anyone knows who the real owners of this place are, I would appreciate the info because this clearly needs to be addressed before someone else goes through the same problem.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Oakland, California
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This was a Holiday Inn and is under new ownership or management. I enjoyed my no frills stay here very much which started by walking into a lobby with a roaring fireplace. The complementary breakfast was much better than I anticipated, with a full range of items to eat from cereal or muffins to scrambled eggs. The room was clean, comfortable and, given the number of families staying here, quiet. When we were all surprised by an overnight snowfall, the management had shovels to lend for digging out the cars. I will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
san francisco
Reviewed January 25, 2011

After looking at the website I assumed this hotel was remodeled when it's name changed to the Truckee Donner Lodge. They may have updated the comforters, but the hotel is still old and super small. The bathrooms still have old cracked tiles and formica counters. The doors are 70's brown and the lighting is all fluorescent! The continental breakfast is served in the tiny lobby, and it was awful. The hotel is right off the freeway in a very odd/noisy location. If you are looking for any sort of luxury, this is not the hotel you want. This is your basic truck stop motel, even with the new name . That being said the staff was was very friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tzn
loomis ca
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The room was fine, clean, spacious etc, but the walls were paper thin! We could hear every detail of two young womens conversations and they weren't even talking loud. Had we not been so tired we would have asked for a room change, but elected to pull pillows over our head to sleep instead.

There was no one at the desk to answer questions or obtain a bottle opener since there were none in the rooms.

Breakfast in the morning was fine.

There was nothing really wrong with the place, but if you are looking for a warm and friendly atmophere for a good night's rest, perhaps you should consider something else.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We called and specifically requeted that our room be smoke free. When we arrived the night clerk stated she had not been told of our request. She took us to the room and it was totally smoky. My husband asked for another room. She placed us in a room where the shower was full of mold and the tub did not really drain. There were bits of what appeared to be dry meat crumbs on one of the chairs at the desk. We would have left but it was really late at night and it was a freak snow storm. At about 8 am we were awakened by the sound of pneumatic airguns, saws, workmen shouting and metal banging against the building. I poked my head out the window and asked them what they were doing. The said that they were installing gutters. I took pictures. I went downstairs to see if we could move to another room and the clerk said that she was not in charge, and the manager would be back wednesday (this was monday) so I could talk to him then. I asked if we could change rooms so we could get some rest and she said that "oh i wish i could help in some way" rather sarcastically. I called customer service for holiday Inn and told them about the problems. When i got back to the room, the phone started ringing and would not stop. We disputed the charges but the hotel refused to recognize that we had not gotten anywhere near what we had paid for. We are pursing a legal remedy because I will not pay for a room where I cannot rest due to construction that was noisy, a room that was filthy, service that was reprehensible, and facilities that were not available - the pool was empty because there was a crack in it and their exersise room was "unavailable" (they wouldnt tell us why) at the time of our visit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This is a good hotel, clean amd well kept. The breakfast area is small but well stocked Our room was dark as the windows have screens and we looked out onto a wooded area. the outdoor spa was fun. It is well located to explore the surrounding ski areas.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel
#3 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to Truckee Donner Lodge? Share your experiences!