“Cigarette smoke,men hanging gutters Meat crumbs and mold zero stars with attitude problems”

Truckee Donner Lodge
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We called and specifically requeted that our room be smoke free. When we arrived the night clerk stated she had not been told of our request. She took us to the room and it was totally smoky. My husband asked for another room. She placed us in a room where the shower was full of mold and the tub did not really drain. There were bits of what appeared to be dry meat crumbs on one of the chairs at the desk. We would have left but it was really late at night and it was a freak snow storm. At about 8 am we were awakened by the sound of pneumatic airguns, saws, workmen shouting and metal banging against the building. I poked my head out the window and asked them what they were doing. The said that they were installing gutters. I took pictures. I went downstairs to see if we could move to another room and the clerk said that she was not in charge, and the manager would be back wednesday (this was monday) so I could talk to him then. I asked if we could change rooms so we could get some rest and she said that "oh i wish i could help in some way" rather sarcastically. I called customer service for holiday Inn and told them about the problems. When i got back to the room, the phone started ringing and would not stop. We disputed the charges but the hotel refused to recognize that we had not gotten anywhere near what we had paid for. We are pursing a legal remedy because I will not pay for a room where I cannot rest due to construction that was noisy, a room that was filthy, service that was reprehensible, and facilities that were not available - the pool was empty because there was a crack in it and their exersise room was "unavailable" (they wouldnt tell us why) at the time of our visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 22, 2010

This is a good hotel, clean amd well kept. The breakfast area is small but well stocked Our room was dark as the windows have screens and we looked out onto a wooded area. the outdoor spa was fun. It is well located to explore the surrounding ski areas.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I had pre-booked our reservation in advance with a creditcard directly with the hotel. My only issue with our stay was their registration system had cancelled us prior to arrival around 6pm. Fortunately, the hotel wasn't full even with the freeway being closed so they were able to accommodate us with the room and rate I was quoted on the phone.

We all enjoyed our stay. The breakfast served a wide assortment well suited for the healthy minded to the bacon/eggs variety Rooms were clean, upgraded, with flat panel televisions. My sons went out in the freezing night to relax and play in the jacuzzi.

I would definitely stay again although might suggest reconfirming your reservation on the day of arrival based on our experience other postings to this site.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SLJ2000
Reviewed March 11, 2010

This is my second visit to this hotel. I will probably visit again, however, request upper floor if at all possible. I had a serious problem with the toilet, which was clogged when I arrived. When I told the front desk, they said, "We can get you a better plunger." I didn't realize until the woman arrived at my door and wanted to just hand it to me that they had no intention of fixing the problem. Then when I went into the bathroom to use the plunger, I saw the other plunger. I don't stay in hotels that often, but I don't ever recall seeing a plunger as a permanent fixture in the bathroom -- indicates ongoing problem??

Though I cleared the toilet, after about 2 flushes it would back up again, indicating a more serious problem. This made my visit most unpleasant, even though the room, breakfast, and surroundings were fine. As I said, I'll probably visit again, but stay on the top floor, because the water won't back up that far!

The staff was not apologetic at all - they offered me $20 off, but that's not worth the annoyance of having to constantly plunge the toilet. Later, I tried to contact the manager via their website; after several days he has not responded.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2010

The only reason I struggled with giving it a 4 star rating is that I wish it was less expensive (almost $180 on Sat. once tax was figured in). Front Desk clerk Barb was so wonderful. She baked chocolate cookies in the evening and put them near the coffee that is available as you enter. Breakfast was a treat; it included several items such as sausage patties, biscuits, yogurt, refrigerated hard-boiled eggs, premade omelettes folded in half with cheese in the middle, bananas... I would have enjoyed it more if there was more ambiance to the seating area (which was accommodating, but not as large as some hotels). We were fortunate to have a 3rd floor room with trees and snow as our view. Very quiet in 307. I liked that under the pillow cases were zippered pillow covers. As I always bring my own flannel pillow case to cover my hotel pillow, I was impressed by this. There were two sets of pillows: 2 said "soft" and 2 said "firm" on the pillow cases. Tub/shower needs recaulking where the wall meets the top edge of the tub. Wireless internet. Little fridge and microwave in room. Just wish it wasn't as costly. Mattress wasn't amazing like memory foam, but I felt I was sleeping in a clean bed and the sheets were cozy.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Rooms are nice and clean and are on larger side. We had goood view of mountain from 3rd floor. Breakfast had good selection (pastries, scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh biscuits, milk, yogurt, bagels, fruit etc). Staff is friendly. Nothing special but convenient hotel. For the price it is little expensive for 2.5 stars.
It is 2-3 miles drive from downtown truckee, 11 miles from squaw valley and 9-10 miles from north star.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2009

My husband & I got stuck in a recent snowstorm and chose this hotel because of its proximity to I-80. I think it's worth mentioning that we had spent the previous two nights at the Hyatt in Incline Village. Althought the Holiday Inn Express is no Hyatt, we were both pleasantly surprised at the comfort and cleanliness of this hotel. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, in spite of the fact they were overrun with many others who were snowed in. The beds were very comfortable, the cable selection was notable and the in-room fridge and microwave were appreciated. Free high speed Internet is another plus!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#3 of 5 in Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Truckee Donner Lodge? Share your experiences!