“Okay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truckee
The Cedar House Sport Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed August 5, 2007

In Truckee for a wedding which was held at another hotel where we would have preferred to stay but by the time we tried to book our room, there were none available. This hotel was nice but for the amount of time we spent there, it was not worth what we had to pay for it.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank ChasT
There are newer reviews for The Cedar House Sport Hotel

Reviewed August 3, 2007

It's lovely if you don't mind shelling out a hard-earned penny. We didn't have a choice because every other hotel in Truckee was sold out for the weekend. I don't believe that it is valued at what the cost is but the skiing was great that weekend and Truckee was beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank JenniferMichaels
Reviewed July 25, 2007

My husband and I were stuck in Truckee because of the winter storm and traffic was at a standstill so we decided to get a place as it was late. Every place was booked except this one and we had to spend about 275. plus tax a night for a suite that we did not want but which was all that was left! The room was austere, the staff sparse, TV reception was not good, we had a view of a trailer park out back, the lounge was crowded with other people also trapped by the weather and the lighting was dim in our room. The bed was nice but at what we paid, it was not enjoyable at all. We will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sweet_titiyas
Reviewed July 20, 2007

The male proprietor didn't give us the time of day because he was so busy schmoozing the people that looked rich. Little did he know that old money doesn't always wear it on the outside the way the nuveau riche do. The place was okay. Furniture looked cheap but I can get the look they were trying to portray. Although money is no object for me, I would like to get my money's worth and this place was way overpriced for the services and accomodations. They also were not very friendly to these other guests who had young children. It took a long time to get our room ready, several hours after their advertised check-in time. The claimed to have a great buffet breakfast but it was only a slight improvement to the traditional continental set-up. I know the look and ambiance they are trying to go for in this hotel but I've stayed at boutique hotels all over Europe and Scandinavia and this place is like a K-Mart imitation of Bloomingdales. Didn't come close. Front desk ladies were nice though and the one thing about the suite that I did like as the bed was soft. Still, I wouldn't recommend this place to someone. Over $200 a night for a soft bed? Not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank torimidori
pbaird, Owner at The Cedar House Sport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2007

While it is my opinion that this guest's perception of my husband is totally offbase, preception and hotel design taste are subjective to each individual guest. That is okay because there is always room for improvement and we welcome the comments. There are incorrect statements in this particular review -- the entire year that we have been open, we have never missed a check in time. Our check in time is 4PM - most of our guests can check in early if the room is ready. Children are very much welcomed here and are treated special. Thank you.

Reviewed July 17, 2007

We went to Truckee for a one night stay and chose the Cedar House because of it's rating on Trip Advisor. The hotel is mimalist styling, with very comfortable rooms and a delicious contintental breakfast. For longer stays the rooms do not have a lot of storage, but the comfort is well worth the stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2007

A few weeks ago some friends and I spent $200. a night at a turn of the century B&B in Napa that was absolutely gorgeous and amazing and worth every penny, including the gourmet hot breakfast. The Cedar House was nice but so are a lot of expensive places in Tahoe. Still, it was not worth $200+ a night, not even close. The bathroom was small and the stools at the table in the room was so unstead that several of us fell off. The look of the sink/fridge area looked like something out of an RV and not luxurious at all. It was noisy and you could hear the people on top of you or next door, expecially walking through the corridor. The buffet was okay but I've seen better. The lobby was more like a small bar. If you're going to Tahoe to ski or snowboard, don't waste your time at this place unless you just like throwing money away.

Stayed: July 2007
8  Thank jab_214
Reviewed July 4, 2007

There are places that you go that pull you back mentally once you get home. Truckee and The Cedar House are one of those places collectively. My wife and I spent the 24th through the 28th of June at The Cedar House in Truckee and in the crazy week we have had since returning home, we have looked at each other several times and said, “Let’s go back to Truckee!”

Our suite at The Cedar House was beyond what we imagined from the pictures available. The rooms were very large and the furnishings were comfortable and functional. My wife especially enjoyed the actual bedding materials from Germany. They were non allergenic and somehow able to detect the room temperature and cool/heat you appropriately.

This kind of attention to a “green” mindset is evident throughout the Cedar House. We had plenty of very clean hot water and there was no waiting for the shower to get warm. I even enjoyed the shampoo and rinse provided by the Cedar House, which is rare since we always bring our own toiletries.

There is an excellent breakfast in the mornings with all the food you could ever want and, as others have said, the lattes are incredible. Happy hour has more goodies and Patrick the bartender is amazing. He is also a legend in the area and gave us some great trip ideas that we took.

We were in town during the South Lake Tahoe fire. Several families came up to Truckee and stayed at The Cedar House. I have intentionally avoided mentioning the owners, Jeff and Patty Baird until now because I think that the best tribute that I can give these wonderful people and hosts is to tell you that they comped the rooms for the South Lake Tahoe fire victims. We really fell in love with these fine folks in a short time during our stay and although their efforts to create one of the most unique experiences in travel deserves praise; their character speaks volumes about who they are as people. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO OUR RETURN! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tommyhgun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#3 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to The Cedar House Sport Hotel? Share your experiences!