“Simply fantastic!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truckee
The Cedar House Sport Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Albany, New York, USA
“Simply fantastic!”
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed four nights at the Cedar House Sport Hotel in Truckee, California in early June. We were in Truckee for a grandson’s graduation from high school, and an immediate advantage was the Cedar House’s close proximity to historic downtown Truckee, and the less than two mile distance to our daughter’s house. This is an exceptionally wonderful facility. We booked the luxury suite because we liked the extra room and because, at least during off-season, the price was within our budget and not that much more than an ordinary room. (Season consists of ski season plus July and August in this resort a little north of Lake Tahoe.)

The Cedar House is of exceptionally high quality. The whole buildings are scattered about the property in an attractive way, and their wood exteriors are really beautiful. The complementary breakfast is quite special. For example, I discovered that scrambled eggs can be made even better with a garnish of spinach leaves, onion slices, and sliced tomatoes in a salad oil. We chatted with a chef about blueberries in bread, and the next day we were treated to bread with added blueberries and raisins, which made wonderful toast. The kitchen is spotless – and open and completely visible to the diner. The restaurant promises to be a great place to eat dinner, but we did not have the opportunity given our family obligations. However one afternoon we did enjoy the free hors d’oeuvres and cookies.

My wife left a fine decorated fingernail file in a drawer, which was discovered by the cleaning staff and mailed back to us by the management. She had not realized she had lost the file, and the prompt return of this item is emblematic of the top quality of everyone connected with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Danny38

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Chicago
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I enjoyed the style of this relatively new hotel. A main house, a dining/conference building and adjacent lodging buildings gave the property an outdoor, cabin feel though the rooms were modern-looking and very clean. Given the run-down condition and price of many of the other options in the area, we thought the Cedar Sport was a good option. Small issues and the overall price prevent me from rating it as excellent.

The style of the room was simple and clean. My only complaint would be that there is limited space for clothes - there was no closet in our room, just a long line of hooks on the wall and a large hanging tree. It may fine in the summer, but it is difficult with ski gear. The bed was very comfortable with Euro-style, separate comforters.

The hotel has it's own apres ski in the lobby with a couple trays of treats (meats, cheeses, sweets) and a cash bar with a small, but nice selection. There was a homey feeling to being by the fire and comparing slopes with other guests and hotel dogs. The owners themselves are not overly friendly, but I found them to be nice and helpful with questions.

The breakfast has the right amount of options, the best being the freshly baked, rustic bread. You have to ask the cooks to cut pieces for you since they don't set it out. If you ask ahead, you can buy a loaf to take with you when you leave as well. This was great for lunch on the road.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IslaBonita77
Fort Bragg, California
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We recently spent one, last night, of a two week vacation here..I choose this hotel as it was rated #1 on TripAdvisor in Truckee, and we wanted it to be kinda special…The breakfast and dinner at their on site Stella’s Restaurant were the highlights however.. Many other TA posters have described the green hotel very well, so there were no surprises here. We stayed in building 2, room 202....It was on the smallish side but fine for one night. I agree, the closet pole and wall hooks for your clothes, verses a real closet, was odd and messy. I forgot to ask “what’s up” with the two single size comforters and no top sheet for the king bed. That was different, really ok with us…Just different. We we’re very tired anyways….

We LOVED the buffet breakfast the next morning with such a fresh selection….All very good quality, yummy….Dinner was so enjoyable, they even gave us a loaf of their delicious Kalamata olive bread (baked right there in their brick oven!) to take home! They treated us very special all around….. They have “planted” the roofs of some of the buildings, I noticed Lupines and Calif Poppies and others.. It will be “blooming” in a month or sooner, and be very pretty! I also noticed (we always walk around and check everything out on lodging properties) an herb garden, tomato plants, and a raised bed ready for a good sized summer garden…

Would I stay here again? Maybe…..We thought it was reasonably priced for a Sunday night for $150.00 (plus tax) in June 2011...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed here with a few colleagues of mine for 2 weeks and couldn't be happier about our stay. Our job requires that we stay in the Truckee area for a couple of weeks for business and rumors and stories gets passed through the office of how nice this hotel is to stay at. Let me assure you, those rumors are not unwarranted. This hotel offers a cozy feel with a European feel. The owners have done a wonderful job and their attention to detail is impressive. With each stay, breakfast was included. Each morning I awoke with excitement knowing what food was waiting for me just steps away. The food and view again were amazing. All in all, the hotel was very comfortable for both business travelers and vacationers alike. If you have plans to stay in the Truckee area, the Cedar House Sport is a must.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 30, 2011

The ambiance and architecture will hit you as soon as you drive in.....I was there for a skiing vacation. A storm had come in the preceding days and dumped 10 ft on the Sierras....and that led to my only complaint -- with the melting snow and freezing nights, there was a spot of sidewalk not salted -- I slipped and got a real bruiser on my knee. However, the front desk staff was so attentive that as soon as they heard about it they asked me to show them the exact spot where it happened. The next morning that area was well salted. The staff is helpful, the food - especially the inclusive breakfast -- is great. For breakfast each morning there was coffee, tea, fresh juices, oatmeal, bacon, potatoes, scrambled eggs and some sort of egg scramble with spinach, cheese & tomato, fresh fruit salad, granola, yogurt, a selection of breads, muffins, bagels and homemade jam. The hotel was immaculate. The beds are really comfy, and the design, while spartan, is not cold. Everything in my room was flawless with the exception of one light bulb. Too bad the staff didn't pick up on that during my stay. Locals say this is better than the Ritz Carlton for a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: no elevator, so ask for 1st flr if needbe
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ljm55
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My fiancee and I stayed at the Cedar House Sport Hotel and fell in love with it immediately. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed we've ever experienced, and there were enough amenities to make us feel luxurious and "at home" without feeling over the top. Breakfast each morning was delicious- something for everyone with greek yogurt/granola/fruit as well as heartier eggs and bacon. Afternoon appetizers included cookies and a cheese spread- the perfect snack for post-skiing. The staff were all very kind and happy to help us in any way possible. This rang especially true when my fiancee broke his jaw skiing on our second day. After visiting the ER, going in for surgery, missing out on a week of skiing, we were very upset, needless to say. The Cedar House staff made us feel that much better by giving us advice on non-ski activities to do in the area and voluntarily reimbursing our unused lift ticket cost. Just truly genuinely nice people running this hotel and they do a wonderful job. Once we recover from the injury, we will certainly be back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My 21 yr old daughter came to visit from Florida and on a whim we drove north to Lake Tahoe area for her first time seeing snow. We chose the hotel randomly, just by driving by. Great room, great lodge, great breakfast, great staff. I am pretty hard to please completely and I can't think of anything negative about our stay. My girl and I were taking pictures and I think it was the manager, not sure, but he came and took pics of us together doing fun stuff. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts

Been to The Cedar House Sport Hotel? Share your experiences!