“Watering hole with average food”
Review of El Toro Bravo

El Toro Bravo
Ranked #58 of 120 Restaurants in Truckee
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Driving through Truckee's Old Town, this seemed like a popular place for lunch. The parking lot was full. However the service was slow, and the burrito I had was mushy inside without distinct taste. Most of the ingredients had been mashed together or there was too much retried beans. The beer was good , but the chips were disappointingly hard.

It was a popular spot for lunchtime alcohol drinkers.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a local favorite. Not my favorite though. It's a little rough on the inside. In the summer they have a good deck for outdoor seating and lots of TV's to watch football, the complimentary chips and salsa is nice. And the bar staff is pretty good, but the food is greasy american-mexican. It's not that well done. It's a good place to go when you just don't want to cook.

A word of caution, check your bill at the end of the meal and make sure they totaled it correctly. This has happened to me twice.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The drinks here are reasonable and very good!! However the food?? Food is ok, good.. over the top? no.. Food is a bit overpriced for what you get..
We had a special at $7.99 Chili Relleno w/rice/beans, not bad.. Lunch menu with a beef taco (size about like taco bell $1 taco) and Chili Relleno $13 plus!!
My advise would be to have the specials.. no tacos as they are super expensive!!
Food was decent..

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stopped by for a drink and some apps on a friday afternoon. We had the ceviche and chips and salsa. We also ordered a couple of margaritas, I can't remember what the name was but I'm pretty sure they cost $9. At first I thought this was a little steep, but this was a seriously potent cocktail. It easily had double to triple the tequila that you would get at other places and they actually used a good tasting tequila (i.e. 100% agave, not jose cuervo). I enjoyed the ceviche and the salsa was great. Good service. I really wanted to back here for dinner but ran out of time. Next time I'm in Truckee I will go back.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Sit at the bar and enjoy your meal while watching the bartender whip up great margaritas. Try the shrimp chimichanga for a twist and order extra salsa. The food is really good.