“What a nice surprise!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“What a nice surprise!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were traveling to King's Beach on Christmas day in the middle of a snow storm. We wanted to stop for dinner before getting to our rental property but nothing was open and we had almost given up when we stumbled upon Jax. When we entered they told us they only had a special menu "pre fix" (yes, that is how it was written on the menu) for Christmas. On the menu were things like lobster bisque, baked salmon, filet mignon, garlic truffle fries, and salad with goat cheese. We looked around at the diner setting and had really low expectations for this fancy sounding food, but since we didn't have a choice, we stayed for dinner.

What a pleasant surprise! The food was fresh and absolutely delicious and the service was fast and very friendly! I had the lobster bisque which was quite tasty and gourmet bacon cheeseburger. The burger was huge! The bacon and cheese were cooked inside the burger patty and the flavor was so yum! The garlic truffle oil fries were also yum! My mom ordered the baked salmon and again we were very pleasantly surprised at how good it was!

It seemed a little pricey at first for a diner, but then when we got a soup, salad, entree and dessert for the fixed price and the food was really good, we realized it was no more than what we have paid for any other restaurant serving the same cuisine. Plus it was the only thing open on Christmas so of course it was worth the premium.

Next time we are in the Tahoe area, we will definitely be stopping here again!

• Visited December 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good Food”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

A basic diner setting with a large variety on the menu. Prices are not cheap, but the portions are huge. Meatloaf was outstanding. Fish sandwich, and chili cheese burger were good. Sweet potato fries very good. Take out malts were small so order them to eat there. Service was friendly, but slow. Place is freezing inside so where an extra sweater if that bothers you.

Visited December 2012
Kula, Hawaii, United States
“Classic Americana that will leave you with a satisfied stomach at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

This is a REAL American diner build into an antique train car. Sit at the counter and enjoy the soda fountain!

Marysville, CA
“Quantity - yes, Quality - not so much”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We made an unscheduled stop in here Saturday evening while we waited out chain control (successful!) going home from Sparks. We had eaten here once before a few years ago and probably won't be back. My wife had their Thanksgiving Turkey sandwich dinner and I had the half rack of baby back ribs. Coffee and Pepsi for drinks and a $38 bill.

My wife asked that the turkey sandwich and red potato salad be boxed to go and she wanted the dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce on a plate. They put the cranberry sauce and gravy on the sandwich, but did bring more when she pointed out their mistake. The sandwich came on a half loaf of french bread. I had that and the salad for lunch yesterday and both were good. She wasn't able to finish the dressing and potatoes, which filled the plate.

My ribs came off the bone pretty easily but were dry. I didn't like the sauce that was used. My cole slaw was fresh and tasty. The french fries were standard sized and cooked well.

Overall, I think we got our money's worth but there are much better options for food in Truckee.

• Visited December 2012
San Francisco, California
“Great Food!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I think this place really needs to receive more credit that what they are rated here on Yelp. My boyfriend and I came to this place during a Tough Mudder weekend. I was looking for a place that serves pasta for some carbo-loading but most of the places are packed with mudders. We saw some really good reviews about Jaz so we thought to give it a try. We were not disappointed with the food. In fact, we came here 3 times during the 3-day weekend. We ate here at dinner, breakfast and lunch.

The first nght, I had their spaghetti with meatballs and my boyfriend had their special kobe meatloaf. The spaghetti was nothing special but it was good. However, the meatballs were very salty. The kobe meatloaf on the otherhand was divine. It's so good that it literally melts in your mouth. The sauce was delicious. The following day, I had their veggie omelette. It was ok just like any veggie omelette. The next day, I tried the Southern Fried Steak and Eggs and I have to say that it's one of the best I've ever had. The steak was thick and juicy but outside it was crispy. The sauce is mild and yummy. My boyfriend got the pancakes with eggs and hash browns. They were very good too. I've also tried their crab sandwich and I love it too.

I would have given this place five stars but the service was just slow. Each day we came seems like they don't have enough staff. Each day, we only see our waitress when they take their orders and when they bring our food. The waitresses are very pleasant and nice but I think they are overworked. Hopefully they'll improve their staffing to improve faster service.

• Visited September 2012