“Snow tubing” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 45 things to do in Truckee
More attraction details
Owner description: Snowboarding ski resort, offering snow play activities for everyone, including special programs for toddlers.
California
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Snow tubing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

After trying every single snow tubing place (almost) in the Tahoe area, we settled on Boreal because it was the cheapest for the longest time...and some were already closed for the season.
We parked close the the snow tubing area, walked right up and paid our $25 for 2 hours and headed for the slopes.
It is an easy moving sidewalk up to the snow tubing runs...the attendants are helpful to kids...it was very organized.
There is a snow play area for those little kids who are not snow tubing.
Boreal is not a Northstar or Heavenly...it is a small ski area right on the freeway. We have passed it by many times on the way to the more upscale fancy resorts.
I was pleasantly surprised. It was a very good day.

Visited March 2013

San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Boreal's great beginners' package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for a fun first-time skiing experience for your family, Boreal is the place to go. My son and I and my friend's son signed up for the 1-2-3 Ride Free program. We were all taught by helpful, experienced instructors and after our third lesson, we received a free lift pass for the rest of the season. Even though we visited during Ski Week, the classes were never very crowded; sometimes we were the only students and at other times, there two or three others in the classes. Best of all the resort is quite small so it was easy for us to meet up on the slopes or at the restaurant and the whole environment felt very safe for children. Weather permitting, we hope to go there again this season because the Boreal runs cater well to beginner and more advanced skiers and boarders alike!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Theresa C
Truckee, California
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Not the best place to learn- excellent place to race train”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I have had the opportunity to snowboard at several tahoe resorts. This is it a good place to learn to ski or snowboard. You run the risk of being am usher and eu over by the park rats. I don't like, that as a spectator to a race, you need to purchase a $5 pedestrian pass. (No prob for me - have snow shoes will travel). This pedestrian pass was instituted because there was such a high occurrence of people not purchasing a lift ticket (that is still the best deal in Tahoe) and walking up to the super pipe and riding in the pipe and park for free all day. There is also an inordinate amount of theft at the resort. Although the lodge clearly says no skis snowboards inside everyone brings their gear right on in - including me. Even for a short bathroom break. The race arena is something to be admired. First of all, the race team gets priority in the race arena. This is not the case at larger more well funded resorts. The pitch of the hill is breathtaking and the run is generally iced over making it perfect for race training. The coaching staff is awesome and there is a wonderful twilight program. We have benefitted greatly from the twilight program. I would remind people that you get what you pay for when it comes to ski resorts.

The cafe and bar need a serious make over. They are so 80's i am half expecting John Kusak to come skiing dowwnnthe hill in jeans and leg gators!
There is a chair and runs on the backside, but no one is allowed back there to ski/snoweboard back there!

Sacramento, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great place to rest or ski or board”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have had several great experiences at Boreal. Our kids are beginners and this park was perfect for them. They offer a fantastic lesson package called 1,2,3 ski which is $70 for the first lesson which includes all gear, lesson and lift ticket. $30 for the second with all gear, lesson and lift and $30 for the third lesson all gear, lesson and lift. (lessons are 2 hours). After the third lesson the skiier gets a season pass. This deal cannot be beat and the park is a great place to ski. If an adult doesn't feel like skiing they can sit in a window upstairs at the bar and watch the action all day (I've done this twice).

The resort is older so the building is a little run down. The bathrooms had leaky toilets and were out of paper towels twice, but I don't really care about this stuff, some people are more picky. The food is overpriced as it is at every attraction but we brought our own and had lunch in the car or at one of the picnic tables outside. A coke and hot chocolate in the bar cost me $10.
We love Boreal!

Visited January 2013
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“1, 2, 3 and REALLY FREE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My whole family took part in their 1, 2, 3 free program. You take three lessons which progressively get less expensive and you earn a free season pass. How cool is that? Both my husband and son have learned to snowboard. I tried snowboarding and then switched to skiing which is much easier for me. As long as you arrive before 8:30 or after 10:30 am the lines are not to bad in the rental area. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful with whatever you need. Not one employee that I have seen there on our 6 trips so far has had a bad attitude. This is refreshing to see!! Definitely worth the lesson times and money!! We all have our own equipment now so it really is free (rentals are $40 per person for snowboard and boots or skis and boots)

Visited January 2013